Home

UFC Undisputed 3 Review by Cursive

This is a discussion on UFC Undisputed 3 Review by Cursive within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 08:43 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 16
UFC Undisputed 3 Review by Cursive

With the 3rd release of UFC on Next Gen systems I must admit I was not too excited. This was mainly because I felt the game took a step back from UFC 1 to UFC 2, and to expect something different might have been too hopeful. Well I am glad to say not only did UFC Undisputed 3 prove me wrong, but it also made me a fan of the franchise again.

The Breakdown:

A few big changes to this year’s game are the additional game modes and options to each. The biggest in our opinion was the addition of Pride Mode that not only includes a new set of rules, but a new announcer, new referees, and additional fighters. Within this mode and your standard UFC match you can adjust the gameplay for Stamina Simulation, Competition Spec, and Stat Equalizer; that allow you to choose any Fighter you want and make the gameplay as equal or realistic as possible. One last thing that we didn’t get to try out but are excited for was the addition to THQ servers for online play that should make things as smooth as possible for both players.

Second thing we want to go over was all the new gameplay additions that were added, which we think will be enjoyed by hardcore fans of the franchise and new players alike. On that note you have two new game control options to choose from, a traditional layout and simplified for users who don’t want to worry about the tricky transition controls. One thing we noticed was the new submission system that has a mini-game feel rather than button mashing or stick rotating. After taking over an hour to go through the tutorial, we really like the interaction with the Cage and the introduction of Quick Strikes and Fakes in the striking game. Once in the game some of the surprising new features was the addition to Leg Kick KO’s and the new Finish the Fight which lets you continue the fight until the Referee pulls you off.

The are some nice new additions to go along with Career Mode, Like Title Defense and Pride Tournaments but Career mode sucked us in for 6 hours in the initial time playing. The customization of your created fighter is one of the best we’ve seen in a game, with not only the ability to adjust every feature but enough presets to find exactly what you are looking for. On top of a great custom fighters, you can now also bring in any UFC or Pride fighter to take through Career Mode. A few things we like that were removed were stats that decayed, that are now being controlled by the certain training regimens that might increase some stats but decrease others. Once you enter the UFC ranks you can customize Fighter Entrances into the venue and ring, as well as victory celebrations.

To let you know a little about our Career Mode experience, we decided to create a custom fighter in the Light Heavyweight division. We worked our way up through the amateur ranks, and fought two title defenses before fighting in our first UFC match. We went undefeated in the UFC until our first Title match where we were defeated by submission by Jon “Bones” Jones. After the defeat we went to Pride and were able to win the Title after 5 fights. Came back to the UFC and this time was able to win the Title, but lost it after our 3rd title defense to Rampage Jackson. To make a long story short I was able to win the Title back again and for my final match before I was forced to retire I fought for the Heavyweight Title to go into the UFC Hall of Fame as a two Division Champion, final record of 43-2(Yes it was on the level above easy).

Final Note:

If you are a fan of the UFC/Pride or just a fan of fighting games, we defiantly recommend picking up UFC Undisputed 3. Not only does this game give you a challenge on every level, it’s easy to pick up for a beginner and advanced players and anyone in between. The Career mode in UFC is the best we have seen in a fighting game and plan on manually doing each training activity instead of simulating through next time. We still got our custom fighter to a 83 overall at the end of his career, but would like to see what we could do on a higher level and taking our time. For more reviews visit my Blog here at Operations Sport's or visit my Site at BleedingEdgeGaming.com
Old 02-13-2012, 08:46 PM   #2
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: UFC Undisputed 3 Review by Cursive

locked...use impressions thread.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »