Home

CM Punk has signed with the UFC

This is a discussion on CM Punk has signed with the UFC within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-11-2014, 02:23 PM   #33
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: CM Punk has signed with the UFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate1986
i never thought to look at it that way, i am curious when he is booked will he be on a Fox/FS1 card or the first or second fight on a PPV or wil he start on prelims

First fight on a prelim. U don't waste name recognition and hype on a free tv card.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:19 PM   #34
MVP

nate1986's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
First fight on a prelim. U don't waste name recognition and hype on a free tv card.
if he fights on a PPV prelim which is always on FS1 it'd be the same as if they gave him away on a main card free TV fight
Old 12-11-2014, 03:45 PM   #35
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate1986
if he fights on a PPV prelim which is always on FS1 it'd be the same as if they gave him away on a main card free TV fight

First fight in the ppv card. He's not fighting on a prelim for his first fight.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-11-2014, 06:10 PM   #36
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20

It really only matters to the UFC if they can get wrestling fans to stick around. The only way they stick around is if he wins. Then you have to try and keep them after he is done.
Old 12-12-2014, 04:52 PM   #37
MVP

Hiro1's Arena

OVR: 7

I say blame the current fighters for this move. Any fighter who feels slighted should only look to themselves or their peers. Many fighters treat promoting themselves or their fights as if it's beneath them or pulling nails.

Yes, you put in years of work training and this is your livelihood, but that's only part of the battle.

The UFC has a lack of superstars. The only recognizable current fighters to casual fans are Ronda Rousey, Jon Jones and maybe Connor Mcgreggor.

Just going off my roommate(casual fan) he can only name those guys and "the guy who ran off the cage like a ninja".(Anthony Pettis)

Out of 9 champions casual fans only being able to name 2 is reality. Heck Jose Aldo is one of the greatest fighters in MMA and no one outside of the hardcore community knows of him.

Hell, I had to look up Cm punk because I had no idea who he was.

The last UFC countdown was extremely boring. I had to fight the urge to skip Lawler, Melendez and Hendrick's parts.
Old 12-14-2014, 01:56 AM   #38
MVP

MizzouBravesFan's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
People complained about Walker (called it a freak show) but not as loud because 1) it was Strikeforce which was seen as the B league and 2) Walker never wanted to make a career out of it.

I think most of the Punk backlash is because the UFC is the #1 MMA promotion and many feel you should have more experience before getting a shot in the big leagues. I dont have an issue with it as long as Punk isnt headlining PPVs. If they handle him like Kimbo where Kimbo was the 3rd or 4th fight on a PPV, I'll be OK with it.
It's funny because Dana White completely blasted the Walker thing and said he'd legit get killed in the UFC but then signs a 36 yrs. old who will probably be 37 before he fights, has two bad knees, has had at least 10 concussions according to his best friend Colt Cabana, and the extent of his fighting experience is being a WHITE BELT in Gracie BJJ...and I'm a Punk fan.

Just drives me nuts...won't sign guys like Askren who CAN be a star but then does this.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:07 PM   #39
MVP

OVR: 11

I just find it funny how Bellator takes fighters and try to make them "Pro Wrestlers" while the UFC attempt to make pro wrestlers fighters.
Old 12-25-2014, 07:36 PM   #40
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

OVR: 46

Punk is going to be training at the Duke Roufus gym. He'll be close to home and have some quality teammates there. Not a bad choice.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »