Home

UFC 190 - Rousey vs. Correia - August 1st

This is a discussion on UFC 190 - Rousey vs. Correia - August 1st within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-31-2015, 11:04 AM   #81
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39
Re: UFC 190 - Rousey vs. Correia - August 1st

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rules
True, just not that excited over this fight card. Last one was fantastic but this one will have me reading round by round up on Sherdog for the PPV fights.
There's not a lot to be excited about for this card unless your a Rousey fan. Disregarding the women's and TUF fights, the majority of the remaining fights would have been great about five years ago.

I'm still going to get it but mainly because
a) one of my buddies just recently got into MMA. He's a huge Rousey fan and has been asking me about this every time he's been over at my house since this fight was announced. Oh, how I would love to see an upset here... Especially since he's an Ohio State fan.
b) There's not **** else to do around here on a Saturday night unless you're into the bar scene. Plus, there's no other sports on that I like right now, so this gives me something to do.

Honestly if it weren't for my buddy and his wife coming over I wouldn't get this... hell, I wouldn't even go out to Twin Peaks to watch. It's more of a social thing at this point.

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-31-2015, 11:49 AM   #82
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
That's because Dana doesn't want anything to happen to one of his main meal tickets. I really think Cyborg would run Rousey over. Too strong at the higher weight classes but if she drops down to 135 she will need to shed those muscles.
Again, that doesnt make sense on any level. Financially it doesnt make sense at all. There is no 145 division because there is no depth at 145. So what's the point in bringing Cyborg in at 145 or at a catchweight? If Cyborg wins, your champion just lost to someone without a division and who isnt champion.

As for Rousey getting run over...I just cant see it.

Scott Coker is perhaps the best promoter in MMA and the reason why is because he makes limited fighters look like monsters. Take Nick Diaz. From 2007-2012, he built Diaz into what most people argued was the best WW in the world. How? By hyping Diaz to the moon and only facing fighters that he knew would strike with Diaz. Diaz went 6 years without facing a wrestler/grappler because Coker knew he might lose to one.

Coker did the same thing with Cyborg. He fed her women who were scared of her and who were no threat to take her down (Invicta is doing the same thing). The only person who didnt fit that bill was Coenen who with all credit to Cyborg, she beat.

Look at the first minute of the Carano fight:

Carano isnt a well known grappler but in the first minute she was able to sweep Cyborg twice and get full mount. For some reason, Carano stood up out of full mount the second time. If Rousey gets a hold of Cyborg...she's going for a ride and will get armbarred.

The other issue for Cyborg is she isnt long. She doesnt have a reach to keep Ronda at bay. She cant use length to prevent Ronda from grabbing her. Cyborg is a Chute Boxe fighter like Wanderlei Silva. They love to put pressure and swarm fighters with kicks and hooks. If you swarm Ronda, she's going to grab a hold of you.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:51 AM   #83
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremym480
There's not a lot to be excited about for this card unless your a Rousey fan. Disregarding the women's and TUF fights, the majority of the remaining fights would have been great about five years ago.

I'm still going to get it but mainly because
a) one of my buddies just recently got into MMA. He's a huge Rousey fan and has been asking me about this every time he's been over at my house since this fight was announced. Oh, how I would love to see an upset here... Especially since he's an Ohio State fan.
b) There's not **** else to do around here on a Saturday night unless you're into the bar scene. Plus, there's no other sports on that I like right now, so this gives me something to do.

Honestly if it weren't for my buddy and his wife coming over I wouldn't get this... hell, I wouldn't even go out to Twin Peaks to watch. It's more of a social thing at this point.

You guys dont like the Rua/Lil Nog fight? ****, Struve/Big Nog is going to likely end up as a finish one way or another.

Even the Gadelha/Aguilar fight should be a good one. They are the #2 and #3 115 pounders in the world.
Old 07-31-2015, 12:17 PM   #84
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Knuckles
Still have to look at salaries, but I feel good about Rousey (duh), Palelei and Struve. Shogun/Little Nog is interesting, but I don't know there. I want to pick Shogun to finish, but it's always risky going with him these days.

I also got together with 10 other guys to do a 6 fight parlay. We throw in $5 with the potential for each of us winning $183 this week. Not really expecting to win anything there, but I figured why not. We all made picks and went with majority rules. For this week we ended up with:

Cummins
Maia
Aguilar
Palelei
Struve
Shogun

I think Gadelha is probably going to win against Aguilar, but hopefully not. I also feel like Magny has a good shot against Maia, but I think Maia was probably a safe choice.
Salaries are tough this week if you take Rousey. I'm going with Rousey, Viana, Magny, Big Nog and Bigfoot.
Old 07-31-2015, 01:14 PM   #85
Go Irish

Rules's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Again, that doesnt make sense on any level. Financially it doesnt make sense at all. There is no 145 division because there is no depth at 145. So what's the point in bringing Cyborg in at 145 or at a catchweight? If Cyborg wins, your champion just lost to someone without a division and who isnt champion.

As for Rousey getting run over...I just cant see it.

Scott Coker is perhaps the best promoter in MMA and the reason why is because he makes limited fighters look like monsters. Take Nick Diaz. From 2007-2012, he built Diaz into what most people argued was the best WW in the world. How? By hyping Diaz to the moon and only facing fighters that he knew would strike with Diaz. Diaz went 6 years without facing a wrestler/grappler because Coker knew he might lose to one.

Coker did the same thing with Cyborg. He fed her women who were scared of her and who were no threat to take her down (Invicta is doing the same thing). The only person who didnt fit that bill was Coenen who with all credit to Cyborg, she beat.

Look at the first minute of the Carano fight:

Carano isnt a well known grappler but in the first minute she was able to sweep Cyborg twice and get full mount. For some reason, Carano stood up out of full mount the second time. If Rousey gets a hold of Cyborg...she's going for a ride and will get armbarred.

The other issue for Cyborg is she isnt long. She doesnt have a reach to keep Ronda at bay. She cant use length to prevent Ronda from grabbing her. Cyborg is a Chute Boxe fighter like Wanderlei Silva. They love to put pressure and swarm fighters with kicks and hooks. If you swarm Ronda, she's going to grab a hold of you.
Good points for sure! However, one would think that she has been working to defend that future armbar. I think they could very well make a 145 division. Some of these girls including Correia are much larger than their fight class. I think Dana in general doesn't want the Rousey Champion train to get derailed yet. She has become the face of Women's MMA and her sponsors are lining up to get onboard. Don't get me wrong, she is very good but her standup is going to catch up to her sooner or later. She is a one trick pony and once someone figures it out.............that train will be derailed.

The fight card is alright. There are just too many on the fight card that have been getting knocked out lately. Shogun, Struve, Silva and both Nog's just haven't been consistant in a very long time.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-31-2015, 01:20 PM   #86
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
You guys dont like the Rua/Lil Nog fight? ****, Struve/Big Nog is going to likely end up as a finish one way or another.

Even the Gadelha/Aguilar fight should be a good one. They are the #2 and #3 115 pounders in the world.
too old to put on a good fight, unless they both can't KO each other and it just turns into an ugly brawl

Struve might be ok, but nothing to get excited about Nog

The 115 is 2 wrestlers who are boring even when on top. Wake me up when it is over.
Old 07-31-2015, 03:33 PM   #87
Be Good To One Another

The JareBear's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Good points for sure! However, one would think that she has been working to defend that future armbar. I think they could very well make a 145 division. Some of these girls including Correia are much larger than their fight class. I think Dana in general doesn't want the Rousey Champion train to get derailed yet. She has become the face of Women's MMA and her sponsors are lining up to get onboard. Don't get me wrong, she is very good but her standup is going to catch up to her sooner or later. She is a one trick pony and once someone figures it out.............that train will be derailed.

The fight card is alright. There are just too many on the fight card that have been getting knocked out lately. Shogun, Struve, Silva and both Nog's just haven't been consistant in a very long time.
Just saying, I'm pretty sure all her opponents have worked to defend that "future armbar" at one point. I just think she's on a completely different level than the other ladies when it comes to that aspect of the game.

Not sure how I feel about the one trick pony label anymore either (Davis and McMann fights as examples). Although I'm not saying she's a dangerous well rounded methodical striker.

I do feel like while her stand up has probably improved, she gets hit way too much. Conor has the same deal and it does seem like sooner or later that will probably catch up to them. Ronda gets hit a lot. I'm not sure it will matter though, in Ronda's case, as I don't think there's a woman at 135 with one punch KO power. You're gonna have to hit Ronda a lot to get her down/out and so that while she's trying to grab you the entire time. If she gets both arms around you, it's go for a ride time and you're in her world.

OS Blog

The Tortured Mind Of A Rockies Fan. In Arenado I Trust.
Old 07-31-2015, 06:34 PM   #88
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20

Will be interesting to see if Correia will do what no one else has been able to do. Not give up the hips. If you keep the hips away in the clinch, she can't throw you into side control. I've also seen some people say if she gets you in the clinch, then pull guard to put her in closed guard. She doesn't have to pass when she throws you, so who knows how good she is.

I don't know if pulling guard is a good idea, but if you are going to get thrown, you might as well try it and make her work to get the arm bar.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »