Home

Askren may finally sign with UFC

This is a discussion on Askren may finally sign with UFC within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 10-24-2018, 03:40 PM   #25
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: Askren may finally sign with UFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGowan
There was a time UFC wanted the best and not just who "moves the needle". just for the fact that they could say it housed the best

Well how about eubanks headlining MSG?
- Colby having the interim belt, no wait not having? no having it?
- interim belts for everyone!
- letting alvarez go.
- cm god damn punk.
- letting conor go boxing.

you know what... they wanted Eubanks to headline MSG over Diaz. they are clearly off their rockers.

There's more love for flyweights in Asia, so ONE has struck a great deal there. Only thing I'm wondering is if DJ actually wants to go there to fight. If he does, then good for him. Honestly think it'll be a good move for him.
When was that? LOL. Seriously, I've been following the sport since the beginning and I dont know when that was the case. This is the same company that gave Brock Lesnar a title fight when he was 2-1. ****, they pretty much refused to sign Askren years ago simply because Dana doesnt like him and he isnt an exciting fighter.

Anytime they have "housed the best" its been pretty much only because the competition was failing and they purchased them (see Pride and Strikeforce).

Sometimes fans have to see the big picture. I love Eddie but One overpaid for him and the UFC wouldve been insane to match or beat that offer.

Same goes with DJ. He doesnt sell fights. His fights rate poorly. He's accomplished everything that he could do in the UFC. The UFC has done everything they could do to promote him. Headline PPVs. They based a whole season of TUF on him being the greatest champion ever. They done multiple hour long documentaries on him. The reality is people just arent crazy about watching him fight.

So imo, the decision is great for both. The UFC gets Askren and DJ gets to fight in a region that loves lower weight fighters.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-24-2018, 10:19 PM   #26
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20

The move will have to be approved by both, so DJ wants out. He could sign with anyone once released.

The UFC saw the end of the division once DJ lost. They couldn't get rid of the most dominant champ while he still had the belt. Now there is nothing keeping them from just closing the division.

Asia will love DJ and it gives him some new opponents. Plus he will be getting a raise, why else sign without one.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 10-24-2018, 10:52 PM   #27
Dave

Dave_S's Arena

OVR: 0

Before his last fight DJ talked about fighting in Asia.
Old 10-25-2018, 12:46 AM   #28
Sassy

MacGowan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S
Before his last fight DJ talked about fighting in Asia.
Yeah, did some digging around and seems like he's been pretty positive towards a ONE deal.

here's a question: Is ONE bigger the Bellator?
Old 10-25-2018, 07:20 AM   #29
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Yeah, did some digging around and seems like he's been pretty positive towards a ONE deal.

His coach is apart of ONE and Bellator really has nothing for him. Other than the UFC, no one else has the lighter weight classes.

Bellator and ONE should work together to build their brand. ONE is the biggest in Asia, but no one really cares outside of Asia. Bellator is building in the USA and Europe, but has nothing in Asia.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
Old 10-25-2018, 09:18 AM   #30
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:

Depends on how you look at it.

One is backed by a billionaire. Bellator is backed by a billion dollar corporation. Both have significant financial resources.

The big difference is that One is arguably the #1 MMA org in Asia. Dana White testified as much during his deposition last year. Bellator cant claim to be the #1 org in any region. In the UK, I'd say they are #3 behind Cage Warriors. KSW and ACB also are growing in Europe.
Old 10-25-2018, 05:30 PM   #31
MVP

Pretty awesome Askren was traded for DJ. Too bad we'll probably never see Askren in the game but he would've been a great final addition.

I think Askren would be a great matchup for GSP.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »