Home

Playoffs tight?

This is a discussion on Playoffs tight? within the MVP MLB Baseball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MVP MLB Baseball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-15-2005, 12:55 AM   #9
MVP

edmus's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Playoffs tight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
Does anyone on this site ever lose in the playoffs?
Wise guy...

In my case, it really helped that I made a few cheap trades, replacing Jody Gerut & Aaron Boone with Hank Blalock & Ray Durham. If I had it to do over again, I probably wouldn't make those trades. I felt a little letdown winning so easily in year 1 -- its the only time I can remember winning the championship in the first season of any sports video game. And I wasn't exactly playing as the favorite.

Of course it didn't stop me from going hog wild in the free agent market... take a look at my 2006 roster in the sig. I have no self control...

Last edited by edmus; 06-15-2005 at 01:02 AM.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:48 AM   #10
Grayscale

slickdtc's Arena

OVR: 26

Hot damn! Did you sign all the free agents available? Crawford, Kearns, Furcal, Byrnes, Webb, Blalock, Roberts, and Loretta. You're going to have some mad players with a stacked lineup like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
And how does one levy a check that will result in only a slight concussion? Do they set their shoulder-pads to 'stun'?
Old 06-15-2005, 10:32 AM   #11
Pro

OVR: 7

playoffs are definitely tougher....i have my gotten my beloved Cubbies into the postseason my first year with them in my dynasty. i am playing the Mets in the NLCS....they took games 1, and 2. i was actually winning 4-1 in game 2 when all of the sudden in the top of the ninth, the Mets went on a tear and scored 4 runs to win the game. i went up to bat with my back against the wall in the bottom of the ninth, and i couldn't hit squat. i was literally flabbergasted...unbelievable!! i went on to win the next three games, but they were very tough games to win. i love MVP....flippin love it.
GO BEARS

Cardinals suck
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-15-2005, 11:54 AM   #12
Rookie

nathan118's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by elicoleman
2) You have a chance to set the record for most wins in a season, I'd definitely try and keep going after that.
Does MVP keep these sorts of records? I have Baseball Advance for GBA, and I love it because it has single game and season records for home runs, strikeouts, etc., and it tells you when you break a record. Does MVP even acknowledge breaking records? Seems like an easy thing to include, but you can't look at them anywhere.

As far as everyone winning their world series...I think most people lean a little too far to the easy side. Through 130 games with the Dodgers I'm 4 games back of the Padres in the west, and 1.5 games up on the Giants in the wild card. I really gotta feel like I've earned what I get, otherwise the game isn't fun.

While it would suck to not make the playoffs, without losing there can be no satisfaction in winning.
Old 06-15-2005, 12:21 PM   #13
MVP

edmus's Arena

Quote:
Hot damn! Did you sign all the free agents available? Crawford, Kearns, Furcal, Byrnes, Webb, Blalock, Roberts, and Loretta.
Just all of the good ones! I traded for Blalock in year 1 so he wasn't a free agent signing.
Quote:
You're going to have some mad players with a stacked lineup like that.
Actually, this is the happiest clubhouse I've ever had. Almost all of the position players have big green smiley faces! Kearns signed as a situational player but is playing every day. And Roberts signed a AAA contract (his choice), so he's ecstatic to be getting any MLB time at all. I thought we were going to crush everyone in 2006 -- we're averaging 6 runs a game right now and just scored 18 in a game in Toronto the other night. However pitching, especially the bullpen, has proved to be the weakness of the team.
Old 06-15-2005, 12:30 PM   #14
MVP

edmus's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan118
While it would suck to not make the playoffs, without losing there can be no satisfaction in winning.
That's why I turned up the difficulty as much as I could in the last month of the season. I started the season using Pro sliders, then went to Jistics All-Star, then a combo of Pared & Jistics. I really struggled during the games I didn't sim in the last month of the season, so I was pretty sure I was gonna get bounced out of the playoffs quickly.

One problem is that I only played maybe 35% of my games during the season, but played all of the postseason games. So maybe just playing all of those games in a short period of time improved my skill level faster than I expected.
Old 06-15-2005, 02:00 PM   #15
Grayscale

slickdtc's Arena

OVR: 26

Just want you to know, I'm not ragging on you for winning. Like you said, you didn't go out and win 120+ ballgames and blow through the playoffs. And judging by your signature, you aren't exactly tearing it up so far in Year 2 (16-11, 1.5 GB).

I've just hit June (I play all my games), and I'm 31-23 after a 7-5 loss to Colorado. I just finished a series at Minute Maid Park where the offense was non-existent for the CPU. I experimented playing on All-Star in exhibition games, but it was just no fun. I struck out 10+ times in each game, and couldn't manufacture offense. And pitching wise, I couldn't strikeout or walk any of there players, because they always predicted when the ball was in the strike zone or outside of it. So I'm down to Pro again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
And how does one levy a check that will result in only a slight concussion? Do they set their shoulder-pads to 'stun'?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-16-2005, 02:35 AM   #16
MVP

edmus's Arena

Quote:
Just want you to know, I'm not ragging on you for winning.
No problem. I was expecting a lot worse for saying I won in my first year with the Indians.

Quote:
Like you said, you didn't go out and win 120+ ballgames and blow through the playoffs. And judging by your signature, you aren't exactly tearing it up so far in Year 2 (16-11, 1.5 GB).
I was thinking I might win 120+ this year & figured I might just start over with a new dynasty instead. After all, I won 93 last year, and added a bunch of talent in free agency. So far 120 isn't looking too realistic, but things should get easier. I haven't even played a game yet against my Central rivals (the 2006 schedule seems strange) and that's where I got most of my wins last year -- we finished well under .500 vs. the AL East & West. We were something ridiculous like 52-20 against the Central.

Good luck with your Reds dynasty. Looks like you're still in striking distance of 1st place.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MVP MLB Baseball »