Home

Shot/Touches Tendencies

This is a discussion on Shot/Touches Tendencies within the NBA 2K Basketball Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-21-2018, 09:19 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Shot/Touches Tendencies

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdowell31
I've been experimenting with a Shot Tendency formula using the regular season stats:

FGA/MP*100

After reading the discussion here, it made me re-look my Touches Tendency. I updated it to:

(FGA+FTA+AST+TO)/MP*100

That looks pretty solid...you may want to look at the advanced stat of Usage Rate or Usage Percentage for players....it's pretty similar and basically attempts to determine how many possession a player is involved in. I'm planning on doing an 84-85 roster and was thinking of doing something like that. I might consider factoring FTA into the shot formula somehow though because the FTAs result from a shot attempt. It doesn't go down in the books as a FGA due to the foul but it's still the player trying to put up a shot.

Last edited by jimbo3772; 09-21-2018 at 10:33 PM.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:04 PM   #10
Pro

timsmooth503pa's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCAROLINAKID
Do any of you roster makers have a rough formula for shots and touch tendencies? For instance if a guy is say 88 shot would you put his touches +5 or how do you go about it?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Operation Sports mobile app
I got the formula I use in my roster I base it off usage and 2k mainly runs plays with the highest shot tendencies but rotations aren't real like my roster so when they sub the highest tendency bench player get all the plays when the season start I will implement the advanced rotation and real life tendencies check it out
Old 09-23-2018, 07:06 PM   #11
Pro

timsmooth503pa's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCAROLINAKID
Do any of you roster makers have a rough formula for shots and touch tendencies? For instance if a guy is say 88 shot would you put his touches +5 or how do you go about it?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Operation Sports mobile app
Touches don't really mean to much with my formula I input touches but mostly shot tendency dictates the play
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-26-2018, 01:30 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 0

I did some testing on this with 2 teams of starting fives of the exact same player...same attributes, tendencies, etc. I manipulated the playbook, % of set plays called and the touch tendency to test. I let the computer run both teams and charted touches and shots. I didn't run a lot of tests (too time-consuming and boring) but I did find that generally:
  • PG and C touch the ball more often in set plays than they do in freelance offense
  • While the PG dominates the ball more than SG and SF in set plays, the touches tended to be relatively equal between the 3 of them in freelance offense
  • The C got the ball a lot in set plays but rarely got the ball in freelance offense
  • When I adjusted the C to 99 touches with everyone else at 1 touches in freelance offense, the C got the ball signficantly more and got a lot more scoring opportunties.
  • When I adjusted the SF to 99 touches but 1 shot tendency with everyone else staying at 1 touches and 50 shot tendency, in freelance offense, the SF's got the ball more in the offense but didn't look to shoot much
The shot/touches tendencies are under the "freelance" section of tendencies along with play discipline. These things seem to intertwine with the % of set plays the offense is running. If the team is running mostly set plays and the players have high "play discipline", then these freelance tendencies won't have much effect. In the freelance offense or when a player does not stick with the play and freelances, then the touches and shot tendencies (only referring to the "shot" tendency under the freelance section) have more of an impact. Now I see why some of the pure PGs like Stockton have lower touch tendencies because they already get the ball a lot naturally from running plays or bringing the ball up the court...and why some of the dominant post players have really high touch ratings so they can get the ball a decent amount of times in freelance offense.

My takeaway from this in terms of setting these things for CAPs and custom rosters is that I will most likely set the teams with a low percentage of set plays and set the play discipline tendencies on the lower side so that the touches/shot tendencies have more of an impact. For example, if I'm making a point forward like Chris Webber, I want the ball going through his hands a lot....if I'm making a combo PG who shoots a lot like Arenas, then I want him freelancing a lot and taking a ton of shots instead of just running the offense like a PG like Stockton. If I'm making a custom roster for a particular season and want to use the Usage Rate and shot attempts from that year to get players the ball and the shots they actually got that year, then I want those touches and shot tendencies dictating things more than modern day playbooks which are geared to get shots for particular positions. At the end of the day, I want make CAPs to actaully play like the guys as much as look like the guys.
Old 10-02-2018, 09:14 AM   #13
MVP

OVR: 8

In ML I used the triangle offense in 2k16 I put all players touch tendencies to 20 and set the shot rating based on who I thought my leading scorer would be. Otherwise the AI would run all ISO’s and postups

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Rosters »