Home

How to get more "blow by" dribble drives?

This is a discussion on How to get more "blow by" dribble drives? within the NBA 2K Basketball Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-27-2015, 11:02 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
How to get more "blow by" dribble drives?

Thought I'd ask you slider gurus this one.

Defenders in the NBA are always getting blown by and beat off the dribble. Obviously help defense and the on ball defender generally recovering prohibits easy points inside, but ball handlers blowing by defenders is a frequent occurrence, yet in 2K, the herky jerky animations and getting stuck to your defender with a ton of contact is something I experience more often than I'd like.

So, what sliders effect this, and is there a fix? If I were to guess, I'd say: driving contact shot frequency (lowering could reduce the contact and "sticking" whilst driving), quickness (raising could give you more of an explosive first step), and on ball defense (lowering is self explanatory).

What's everyones thoughts on this? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-27-2015, 12:56 PM   #2
Banned

Shady Mike's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: How to get more "blow by" dribble drives?

Driving Contact shot only effects the likeliness of triggering a contact animation on a layup attempt, that said:

Ball handling
quickness
on ball defense

It's a combination of the three.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:54 PM   #3
MVP

EccentricMeat's Arena

OVR: 19

It's more a matter of user skill than it is a matter of sliders. With the right combination of iso moves, you can usually get past your defender with regularity. Sliders come into play when trying to get the right defensive rotations and on ball defender recovery, and the obvious sliders (mentioned by OP and Shady) control that.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:02 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Mike
Driving Contact shot only effects the likeliness of triggering a contact animation on a layup attempt, that said:

Ball handling
quickness
on ball defense

It's a combination of the three.
Ball handling? I figured that's straight up dribble moves, which of course is going to help you beat a defender and break him down, but not necessarily blow by him on a drive, which is what I'm talking about.

Anyway. If it's a combination of these three, then why does everyone lower ball handling below default 50, lower quickness below default 50 and always less than speed, and significantly raise on ball defense?

Seems counterintuitive when trying to replicate sim basketball, no?
Old 05-27-2015, 09:29 PM   #5
MVP

EccentricMeat's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWood56
Ball handling? I figured that's straight up dribble moves, which of course is going to help you beat a defender and break him down, but not necessarily blow by him on a drive, which is what I'm talking about.

Anyway. If it's a combination of these three, then why does everyone lower ball handling below default 50, lower quickness below default 50 and always less than speed, and significantly raise on ball defense?

Seems counterintuitive when trying to replicate sim basketball, no?

That's because unfortunately even with these tweaks, it's easy to blow past your defender with the right iso moves :/
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-28-2015, 02:41 AM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EccentricMeat
That's because unfortunately even with these tweaks, it's easy to blow past your defender with the right iso moves :/
I get that, but IRL it doesn't always take iso dribble moves to beat your defender and penetrate. A lot of the time it's just a quick first step to blow by the defender, then you're met with the help defense. Westbrook for example always gets penetration because of his explosiveness and quickness. He doesn't always have to put together the right combination of dribble moves.
Old 05-28-2015, 04:48 AM   #7
MVP

EccentricMeat's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWood56
I get that, but IRL it doesn't always take iso dribble moves to beat your defender and penetrate. A lot of the time it's just a quick first step to blow by the defender, then you're met with the help defense. Westbrook for example always gets penetration because of his explosiveness and quickness. He doesn't always have to put together the right combination of dribble moves.

One properly timed crossover or hesitation is all it takes to blow past a defender. To eliminate the need to do even THAT would unfortunately make on-ball defense essentially worthless.
Old 05-28-2015, 05:09 AM   #8
We Here

Hassan Darkside's Arena

OVR: 34

I will say one thing I've found that helps blow by's is to stay off of turbo. Personally, I use Shady Mike's sliders and have found more success blowing by guys without using turbo than with.
Royce da 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican
How many brothers fell victim to the skeet.........

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Sliders »