Home

Regression/Progression and Contract sliders

This is a discussion on Regression/Progression and Contract sliders within the NBA 2K Basketball Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-22-2019, 02:05 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 8
Re: Regression/Progression and Contract sliders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dishandime
There is a "hack" to do in the offseason free agency to fix issue with too many good players staying FA. It goes along with a bit different settings for contracts and trade sliders.

I think you should spend more time with trade sliders, especially "player discounts" and "team style importance" sliders. I managed to get a pretty good balance last year and liked what I've seen in my leagues. I'll try to find time to explain some points, but are looking to post my sliders soon. Right now I'm testing by playing 4 user teams in myleague...
Also I plan on editing the G League players big time to reduce any signings. What is frustrating is the CPU seems to anticipate the the giant leaps because they sign these players before you and I see progression/regression in the off-season. So my plan is to edit these players down, then edit them back up to what I want after Free agency and player progression. I may develop a random system to let a couple guys make a leap up too, as that does happen in the NBA, but 9 out of 10 G league guys I'll type up in a spreadsheet, gut their ratings, then edit them back up after the offseason so they stay "15th man" types at best.
Old 10-23-2019, 06:54 AM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 0

Right now I have Trade Difficulty at 85, Frequency at 100 with approval On.

The most important settings for better CPU building of teams is Team Style Importance and Player Fame Importance. These I have at 23 and 4 respectively, which effectively renders the "base OVR" or Overall Rating Importance to 73 (the one setting in this section that changes with those two).
When you set it like this, teams will rather build to what they need (ex. getting role and prospect players) instead of just stacking up players with higher OVR. Try it out.
Another important thing is Player Type Discounts. I had this last year:

This year they did a reset to default setting making it 100 everything, so I adjusted some back. I know I figured Playmaking needs to go to 99, but will check other values later.
Also, slightly adjusting these help:

And this is very important:

Now, the last but not the least, the "market regulation hack"
I have set contract sliders like this:

What I do is - during the free agency Day 7 I start raising Min slider by increments of 10 each next day until it gets to 80 (3 days) and Day 11 I start moving it by 5 so by the last day of FA I have it at 100. (will post day by day values later to be precise)
Result is that the remaining good FA vets all get signed on a 1 year minimum to teams once you get past the FA (proceed from last day). Then, Day 1 of the season I put it back to 50.

All of this worked wonders for my CPU controled teams.
Try it out and see how it feels for you.
Hope you can use this for your sliders.
Old 10-23-2019, 07:44 AM   #19
Rookie

Chrome_Claymore's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comduklakis
sliders are based on individual preference. I'm a firm believer players get smarter as they age and their physical skills is what they lose. With that in mind I think most players at age 36 are going to have a higher Shot IQ, a higher pass IQ, and be smarter on D than at 26. What they will lose is speed, vertical, hands, steals, quickness, acceleration, etc.

My sliders are also designed for gameplay. So while an OVR may be high due to those consistency and IQ ratings, you will find when the game is played that the downturn in physical attributes will make some of the older players not worth a lot on the court.

So that's my logic. By no means do I insist that my way is always right. I take base gameplay slider sets and adjust them to my liking and I assume others do the same with regression/progression sets. That's why I spelled out my logic in this thread on how I came to the ratings.
I perfectly agree with what you said in regards to player regressing athletically. I used Barnsey's sliders from 2K19 for a good chunk of the year which has the same philosophy to what you're doing here so I understand. I have no issues your sliders at all don't get me wrong, I didn't even say anything about physical attributes.

I will say though, in my opinion at least, the consistency ratings don't get better or remain the same at the twilight of an aging player's career. For Shot IQ though, I agree that players get better with age in identifying which shots are good and which ones are not. But what about on how they can consistently contribute offensively or defensively? For instance, Nowitzki was wildly inconsistent (in terms of offensive production) in his final year.

I will adjust though, your sliders are still excellent.

Last edited by Chrome_Claymore; 10-23-2019 at 07:51 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Sliders »