Home

NBA 2K14 My Career Mode Makes and Misses

This is a discussion on NBA 2K14 My Career Mode Makes and Misses within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-15-2013, 06:02 AM   #81
Banned

OVR: 0
my roomate's aunt makes $76 every hour on the laptop. She has been laid off for eight months but last month her income was $16613 just working on the laptop for a few hours. This Site>>> WWW.FB39.ⅭOⅯ
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-15-2013, 12:10 PM   #82
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: NBA 2K14 My Career Mode Makes and Misses

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzMan
I personally like the mode. It gives it a fresh feel to it. Ever since 2k11, it's been the exact same game mode every time with tiny little renovations to it. Everyone was asking for something that would make the mode interesting.

Well, you got it. They gave us storylines, cutscenes, etc., which keep me more interested in the mode than the old way, which was just playing a game and having a press conference afterwards.
Like da Throne, I completely respect your personal preference in enjoying the mode.

However, I'm not sure if it's completely accurate to sum up people's MyCareer requests as, "Everyone was asking for something that would make this mode interesting. Well, you got it." I do not subscribe to the, "Add anything you want, as long as it's different" policy. I feel there were a lot of ways people felt MyCareer could have been improved within the scope of an NBA basketball simulation title, but I'm not sure that included forced linear storylines and player mimes.

Quote:
I don't really care if it's cartoonish, or hell, I don't even care if some of the games are scripted for me to shoot poorly, because in the past games, I could do just about whatever I wanted on the court every game. This adds a nice variety to it, which in a way, is more realistic.
Again, regarding your personal preference, I have absolutely no issue. Still, I'm not sure I'd agree that scripts forcing one to shoot poorly could be construed as being more realistic. I believe there's a right way to introduce variety and a bad way. I feel scripts would fall into the latter.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:24 PM   #83
MVP

RangersCruz's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
I'm certainly never in favor of telling people what they should or shouldn't like. However I take exception to some things in this post.

Adding a story mode bascially locks every player into the samething regardless if thats the story I want to be apart of or not. The minute you do that you turnoff a certain % of players.

For me the story mode kills any replay value. After you played the mode once what's the point of playing it again when you know how everything unfolds?

Scripted events should never effect the results of gameplay.

At this point there are very few things that are realistic about this mode. IMO the only unrealstic aspect of MyPlayer should be the fact that I'm adding myself to the game. That where the fantasy aspect should start and end.
Well in the past years just go into the showcase and game after game
Win a ring and then what? its pretty much it boring and not even worth wasting time on it

I like this yrs new MyCareer mode which i was surprised they even switched it up for Next gen it could have been done much better take out the showcase put you through college for 1-2 seasons or have a option to play over in europe or somewhere else then come into the draft as a top prospect
Old 12-15-2013, 06:00 PM   #84
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersCruz
Well in the past years just go into the showcase and game after game
Win a ring and then what? its pretty much it boring and not even worth wasting time on it

I like this yrs new MyCareer mode which i was surprised they even switched it up for Next gen it could have been done much better take out the showcase put you through college for 1-2 seasons or have a option to play over in europe or somewhere else then come into the draft as a top prospect
Hey MyPlayer has been the only mode I've played the past 2 or 3 years. I'm not sure if there's a person here that was more frustrated with how stagnant the mode had gotten. However there's a laundry list of things that should have been in the game and IMO a scripted fairtale theme should have been on that list.

They could have expanded on player roles that alone would have done wonders for the mode. Not to mention the one feature that's a must for me and that's natural progression.

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:57 PM   #85
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurst31
My 5'10" point guard has logged more minutes as a shooting guard than he has at his natural position, as my coach frequently matches me up against taller, stronger players like Kobe Bryant (6'6") and Dwyane Wade (6'4").

This could just be because the team is overloaded with pgs and there are only 2 sgs.
my point guard (6'2) got moved to starting center guess how fun that is (PS3) it basically broke it for me
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-07-2014, 09:16 PM   #86
The Designated Hitter

BA2929's Arena

OVR: 20

I enjoy this mode with all the cut scenes. However, the replay-ability is about zero, since each player you make has the same rival, same cut scenes, the same agent, etc. Also, I'm not a fan of how the game forces you to suck at certain intervals of the season. Like "you're going to suck at FTs this game for the cutscene" or "You're going to shoot 24% this game so we can cut scene in a drill".

I do enjoy 95% of the rest of the cut-scenes and actually find myself disappointed when a cut-scene doesn't happen after a big game I just finished.

Pretty good job for the first game on a new console. Lots of room to build from here.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:05 AM   #87
Rookie

RPG are now open world. GTA, Watch Dog and Skyrim. If NBA2K want to be successful at RPG they need to do it as an open world. With all 30 teams. Each city has the real staduim on the street there on so you can drive there, Hotel for your resident,/ suburbs if you're a veteran signed long term, Airport, Practice facilty, Sports store, Car delearship, You should be able to watch highlights on a sports centre type theme at your resident. Or taven/Sports Bars,
Old 06-20-2014, 10:13 AM   #88
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

Looking back on this article months later (now that the thread has been bumped by the person above), I do not believe cut scenes would have fallen in my "Makes" category. Each time I've seen a clip, it's an immediate immersion killer. I think I'd rather assume or pretend in my head as to how an interaction may go between MyPlayer and LeBron, instead of seeing something as awful as this firsthand:

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »