Home

Who is the target audience now?

This is a discussion on Who is the target audience now? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-18-2014, 10:04 PM   #49
Pro

lgxjames's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: Who is the target audience now?

Can I ask, For all those people who say bring association mode back (I've been guilty of it too) But what is the difference between that and MyGM, aside from the VC?

When I say it I kind of know they're both the same thing essentially but I notice people speak of them as 2 TOTALLY different modes...Can someone elab?
Old 06-18-2014, 10:39 PM   #50
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgxjames
Can I ask, For all those people who say bring association mode back (I've been guilty of it too) But what is the difference between that and MyGM, aside from the VC?

When I say it I kind of know they're both the same thing essentially but I notice people speak of them as 2 TOTALLY different modes...Can someone elab?
It's been a little confusing for me. I think most people who say something like, "Bring Association back" are just referencing the previous realistic franchise mode with all of its options. From what I can tell, the primary differences seem to be that MyGM...

-Forces gamers to use their MyPlayer (aka a fake GM unless they go out of their way to make their MyPlayer the specific GM for the franchise they choose)
-Allows gamers to control just one franchise (thus limiting the ability to stabilize their own league experience by executing proper trades and whatnot)
-Forces gamers to buy everyday managing abilities that should be in place from the start
-Features currency in the form of fictional golden coins

As I do not own the game, I don't know what I'm missing, but that seemed to be the gist. The angle seemed to shift from realistic and customizeable management to a grinding story mode of sorts.

Last edited by VDusen04; 06-18-2014 at 11:06 PM.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:06 AM   #51
Pro

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
Might you (or anyone else) be able to point me in the direction of the MLB developer post you referenced? It sounds interesting.
It was about MLB The Show's Manage Only Mode.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...post2046089697

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...&postcount=111

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...&postcount=121

Many games are recording the things you do in them as long as you are connecting to PSN or Xbox Live.

For the record, I think MoM mode is still in the game due to some very dedicated people on this guy's team.

Last edited by Spokker; 06-19-2014 at 01:09 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-20-2014, 01:59 AM   #52
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedream2k13
Man u gotta start playing ranked matches and watch your opponents intentionally run into defenders to get contact layups and easy fouls OR watch them dunk on 4 of your defenders with ease with Kobe Bryant
OK ... but that's precisely why I don't play those modes. People are going to find a way to cheese. It's better on your blood pressure if you simply avoid playing those guys.
Old 06-20-2014, 04:35 AM   #53
Rookie

OVR: 0

I really would like to know why 2k gets a pass and can make a subpar game that gets above average ratings. Is it because of the graphics? Quick match is by far the worst the franchise has ever seen. The control response is so behind that I can press a button, go piss, warm pizza, and get chewed before the player on screen initiates a response to the button press. It's like you have to know what to do even before the situation presents itself. Then you have these false and-1's were D. Howard attempts a dunk, misses but gets fouled on the attempt, and gets credited with 2 points plus a free throw. How the hell does this make it past testing? &*@# 2k!
Old 06-20-2014, 10:33 AM   #54
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokker
It was about MLB The Show's Manage Only Mode.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...post2046089697

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...&postcount=111

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...&postcount=121

Many games are recording the things you do in them as long as you are connecting to PSN or Xbox Live.

For the record, I think MoM mode is still in the game due to some very dedicated people on this guy's team.
I appreciate the effort, good sir. I've always been interested about how these analytics were mined, due to the faction of folks who are not connected online.

Even then, I still feel there's some significant room for error or misinterpretation (beyond the referenced 8%-15% data range). I'd wonder if they take into account all the reasons as to why a particular mode may not be played.

For instance, I'm betting the percentage of gamers utilizing the Dunk Contest in recent 2K's is very small. Some could look at that minuscule data and say, "Meh, noone's playing, let's get rid of it." However, I believe one of the largest reasons that mode is not played is because of its awful implementation. As such, the proper remediation may be fixing up the mode instead of removing it altogether.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:18 PM   #55
Pro

ForeverVersatile's Arena

OVR: 6

The only input that was really taken into consideration was the input regarding controls. The fact is that they have made it easier to abuse things like sprinting full court, cherry pick, running right and left for 3's, drawing charges, playing zones all game, defensive assist, auto contest. This is was casuals are looking to do and to make it easier only says one thing to me. I have gotten responses from Mike Wang via Twitter and he told me they were working on things that myself and others have tweeted about so let's see what happens.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot_2014-06-20-12-17-37.png (211.8 KB, 130 views)
File Type: png Screenshot_2014-06-20-12-14-56.png (192.9 KB, 131 views)

Last edited by ForeverVersatile; 06-20-2014 at 12:21 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-20-2014, 01:03 PM   #56
2K Sports Community Manager

LD2k's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverVersatile
The only input that was really taken into consideration was the input regarding controls. The fact is that they have made it easier to abuse things like sprinting full court, cherry pick, running right and left for 3's, drawing charges, playing zones all game, defensive assist, auto contest. This is was casuals are looking to do and to make it easier only says one thing to me. I have gotten responses from Mike Wang via Twitter and he told me they were working on things that myself and others have tweeted about so let's see what happens.
Definitely things the game play team are aware of. User behavior is a great tool for us as we can see what players are doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpyface
I really would like to know why 2k gets a pass and can make a subpar game that gets above average ratings. Is it because of the graphics? Quick match is by far the worst the franchise has ever seen. The control response is so behind that I can press a button, go piss, warm pizza, and get chewed before the player on screen initiates a response to the button press. It's like you have to know what to do even before the situation presents itself. Then you have these false and-1's were D. Howard attempts a dunk, misses but gets fouled on the attempt, and gets credited with 2 points plus a free throw. How the hell does this make it past testing? &*@# 2k!

Master of Operation Sports .gifs

Last edited by LD2k; 06-20-2014 at 01:06 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »