Home

My Carrer mode really should stop assuming you're a star from the start.

This is a discussion on My Carrer mode really should stop assuming you're a star from the start. within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-24-2014, 02:33 PM   #25
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: My Carrer mode really should stop assuming you're a star from the start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokaine
I had the idea for a whole new story line....where you aren't a prospect or anything. Just a regular kid who play basketball. One day you hear they're doing D-League tryouts and you go. This is where you play your first game and you get noticed and signed to the D-League. There you play and play until you do well enough to get noticed by NBA scouts, and then you eventually get called up.

I have to admit, even though I like the idea of slow flowing your career, I imagine this thought process is in the vast minority. The majority of people, if given the opportunity would like to come in and win MVP their first season if it's possible.
is it really that vast a minority? As said before, most people who play road to the show mode will spend some time toiling in the minor leagues and probably won't be MVP caliber when they make it to the bigs, but the mode is still the most popular of the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-24-2014, 02:47 PM   #26
That's top class!

extremeskins04's Arena

OVR: 1

This is probably the main reason why this mode is just not good because 2k made it so players don't feel helpless when they start their player. They wanted MyPlayer to be fun and not be realistic so they made it so it doesn't matter what your rating is, the game changes FOR YOU so you can make progress easier.

This is the reason why a SF with a 69 OVR and just absolutely horrid attributes can guard guys like Lebron and KD, etc.

I mean, cmon...I was able to shut down Lebron James and block 6 of his shots and force him to shoot 30% in one of my games. Making him miss threes, causing him to brick mid shot after mid shot, and layups were an even bigger mess.

I stopped playing my SF cause it just wasn't fun for me. I made a PG and am only going to get assists and be a role player. The mode is just too easy otherwise.

And this is on SuperStar Sim difficulty if anyone asks.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:16 PM   #27
Pro

thing is, I actually find the journey from a fringe NBA player to legit star fun... I'm not saying I want to start off with 0 skills but the mode would be so much better if I could face off against other fringe prospects while I built my skills up before finally making it and putting myself against the big boys, instead of just throwing me into the lions right off the bat and expecting me to hold my own, with an AI accommodating me to do just that.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:29 PM   #28
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvazquez190
This is my biggest gripe with MyCareer (well besides not being able to edit sliders). If I want to be a role player the game should allow me to be a role player. At least until My overall goes up and I can help my team more. I like being a role player early on. Not just for the first 20 games but for the First Season. Let me get a season under my belt. A realistic first season should have you finish in the low to mid 70's. Finish as a solid rotation guy. Then next year you can improve.

I find you achieve everything so fast that the mode becomes boring. You establish yourself so quickly.
This is spot on. I just got promoted to starter and the mode isn't as fun. I liked being able to play multiple games in an hour. It was an easy commitment of time. Now I'm not quite sure I want to commit my time to it. They should give you different settings.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:57 PM   #29
Banned

I did not play that well in my first Season as a Center and I did not have all the "omg teams are already clearing capspace for you" etc cutscenes.
So I feel its pretty good right now.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:43 PM   #30
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiquilaSunrise
I did not play that well in my first Season as a Center and I did not have all the "omg teams are already clearing capspace for you" etc cutscenes.
So I feel its pretty good right now.
that is definitely a step in the right direction, yeah. But a lot of the other areas in the mode- commentary, dialogue options or even the very appearance of some other cutscenes- could catch up and follow this example.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:35 PM   #31
MVP

canucksss's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowDareI
As a center on the Pelicans in my first year I was forced to score 20+ a night. AD was passive at best, and my boy Jrue (miss you lol) was the only one helping.

After the season I signed with the Lakers and best idea ever. Kobe actually scores, Wilson Chandler can shoot and defend, our rookie PG is athletic and plays d, Randle does the dirty work and all I have to do is my usual 15, 15 and 5 with a few blocks and we win games.

I'm gonna make my point guard today, and I want to be in the same mold...gonna find a team that needs a distributor and that's it. Maybe you guys are just going to the wrong teams? I know from the past it can ruin the fun completely if that happens.
I am so glad that my rookie season was over. During FA, my agent asked me to pick 3 teams, so I did...going to big cities like NY, LA and Boston and paying the big bucks too. Then KD came to my pad inviting me to join him in OK and Green to SA. I chose OK....and now playing as defensive C for OK. AND IM GLAD that I am not primary option to score.

KD was KD, Westbrook as Westbrook. 1st game, i only scored 8 pts with 15 rebounds, 3 blocks, 2 stl and 4 assists. I just hope its not a fluke. I just want to play supporting role to top 2 or 3 players of my team.

So, guessing that on your 2nd year, your teammates dont suck big time.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »