Home

My Career: Don’t stick the script!

This is a discussion on My Career: Don’t stick the script! within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-27-2014, 12:13 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 10
My Career: Don’t stick the script!

Let me start off by saying that “MyCareer” is my favorite game mode but there are a few things I think definitely need to be addressed going forward. So, after not making the playoffs my 1st year with the Kings, I decided to split Sacramento and team up with Dwight and Harden in Houston. I came in rated about an 82 and was immediately implanted into the starting lineup (I’m a 6’4” PG). Btw, I’m playing on Superstar. Based on how the AI performs in regular (quick) games, I assumed that teaming up with these all-stars would be a match made in heaven. However, about 9 games into the season, it’s growing increasingly frustrating to watch my virtual teammates perform as poorly as they have in past iterations of 2K. Dwight more times than not attempts awkward and ugly post shots and makes those at a low percentage while also missing a disproportionate amount of put backs and easy layups under the basket. As far as Harden, I set him up with wide open looks a lot and he’ll catch it and either stand there with the ball looking shell shocked or dribble INTO the defense taking a contested shot. That happens way too often to be overlooked. When he gets the ball in a one on one situation, he plays nothing like himself or how he does if I just play a quick game against Houston. There he uses dribble moves and is supper aggressive in trying to score. Right now I’m averaging about 31ppg, 4rpg, 8ast, 2stl, 1blk. I know some folks will say “those are great #’s” but I actually don’t want to average so many points. I would rather average in the low to mid 20’s with double figure assists. However, as these guys are performing, that wouldn’t equate into W’s. This leads me to why I titled this thread “don’t stick to the script”. My last game was against the Dallas Mavericks. I had a career high in points (53), steals (6), blocks (5) while pulling down about 7 boards. On top of that, I got a game winning dunk over Tyson Chandler with less than 2 seconds left for the two point win. After all that I’m thinking, “ok @ least maybe I’ll get my shoe deal offer after such a performance”. Quite the opposite. In the locker room after the game, I proceeded to get reamed out by the assistant coach and Doc Rivers about poor defense. Jameer Nelson couldn’t have scored more than 10 points on me and I already listed my stats. After getting an A+ rating & POG honors, I thought I’d @ least get a pat on the back, not knives. This is just a horrible example of the scripted story not applying to what you’re actually doing on the court. For the most part, I appreciate the story and what it brings to the mode but I think the game needs to be more “conscious” of what’s actually happening from game to game. This was a huge bitter/sweet moment for me. I just turned the console off after that. 2K please work on this for your games in the future. Anyone else dealt with these type of issues?
Committed 2 page, I write a rhyme, sometimes won't finish 4 days
Scrutinize my literature from the large 2 the miniature
I mathematically ADD minister
Subtract the wack, Selector, wheel it back I'm feelin that!

Last edited by Rebel_INS; 10-27-2014 at 12:17 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-27-2014, 01:17 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: My Career: Don’t stick the script!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel_INS
Let me start off by saying that “MyCareer” is my favorite game mode but there are a few things I think definitely need to be addressed going forward.

So, after not making the playoffs my 1st year with the Kings, I decided to split Sacramento and team up with Dwight and Harden in Houston. I came in rated about an 82 and was immediately implanted into the starting lineup (I’m a 6’4” PG). Btw, I’m playing on Superstar.

Based on how the AI performs in regular (quick) games, I assumed that teaming up with these all-stars would be a match made in heaven. However, about 9 games into the season, it’s growing increasingly frustrating to watch my virtual teammates perform as poorly as they have in past iterations of 2K.

Dwight more times than not attempts awkward and ugly post shots and makes those at a low percentage while also missing a disproportionate amount of put backs and easy layups under the basket.

As far as Harden, I set him up with wide open looks a lot and he’ll catch it and either stand there with the ball looking shell shocked or dribble INTO the defense taking a contested shot. That happens way too often to be overlooked. When he gets the ball in a one on one situation, he plays nothing like himself or how he does if I just play a quick game against Houston. There he uses dribble moves and is supper aggressive in trying to score. Right now I’m averaging about 31ppg, 4rpg, 8ast, 2stl, 1blk. I know some folks will say “those are great #’s” but I actually don’t want to average so many points. I would rather average in the low to mid 20’s with double figure assists.

However, as these guys are performing, that wouldn’t equate into W’s. This leads me to why I titled this thread “don’t stick to the script”. My last game was against the Dallas Mavericks. I had a career high in points (53), steals (6), blocks (5) while pulling down about 7 boards. On top of that, I got a game winning dunk over Tyson Chandler with less than 2 seconds left for the two point win. After all that I’m thinking, “ok @ least maybe I’ll get my shoe deal offer after such a performance”. Quite the opposite.

In the locker room after the game, I proceeded to get reamed out by the assistant coach and Doc Rivers about poor defense. Jameer Nelson couldn’t have scored more than 10 points on me and I already listed my stats. After getting an A+ rating & POG honors, I thought I’d @ least get a pat on the back, not knives. This is just a horrible example of the scripted story not applying to what you’re actually doing on the court.

For the most part, I appreciate the story and what it brings to the mode but I think the game needs to be more “conscious” of what’s actually happening from game to game. This was a huge bitter/sweet moment for me. I just turned the console off after that. 2K please work on this for your games in the future.

Anyone else dealt with these type of issues?
Made it easier on the eyes. People won't read a huge paragraph like that.

Anyway, I agree with you, for the most part. MyCareer has been a let down for me so far, I haven't even touched the park, yet. My team chemistry is 90% yet we can't win a game unless I sim. It's worse than last year (2k14) imo, as I won multiple championships with the Pistons. This year, I'm with the he Knicks and we are 3-11 lol. I'm leading the league in assists and points, as well as blocks, steals and triple doubles. Superstar sim.

We can't win unless I sim lol. The CPU goes on unstoppable runs where they don't miss, even after taking terrible shots. And my team can't buy a bucket, even wide open lay ups. There are instances where I have a teammate going up with a dunk animation then all of a sudden switches to a layup animation midway, and misses, wide open. I have video and screenshots of this nonsense.

I don't think 2K will fix it though. There will be people who will say we suck, yet won't dare play us locally. MyCareer is scripted nonsense, you just have to enjoy it for what it is.

I hope things change my 3rd season though. Hopefully I can make the playoffs or be on a winning team. I don't mind losing, but when it's blatant scripting, it's annoying.
Old 10-27-2014, 01:44 PM   #3
Pro

Lower the difficulty and work up and learn the momentum.

Trust me, I still think there are issues, but I was on here complaining a few weeks ago because HOF was frustrating me (still does but not as much). I guse to own HOF last year and couldn't do ish this year.

Dropped the difficulty down to All-star and learned the playbook, mastered the new momentum over poweredness and worked hard on my defense. Moved up to Superstar and when I started winning every game by 30+ points, I moved back up to HOF. Trust me it helps. Even if it's to get yourself scoring a high FG% and winning a few games. It will give you more patience and a psych boost.

I'm a PG on the Cavs and there are times when I want to break something. Like when LeBron goes 5-27 (true story) but it's all about plays and momentum. If your key guys like Harden or Howard miss 3 shots in a row, chances are they're cold. Get the ball to them only in wide open situations to heat them back up (layups not 3s) or run plays for other players and get them going. GET THE TEAM INVOLVED. It's even more important this year. You don't have to assist or score every time down. Run a play for other players and let it execute. Don't call for a pass, just let the team work. If it's your job (blue circle) to stand in the corner, just do it. A lot of times the play will run picks for said player and you'll be open, call for a pass and not realize he was open for a drive.

Also, get momentum up before you get subbed out. If you always gain momentum (a run) before you get subbed out the team will rock the house and increase the lead while you're on the bench.

I hope this helps man.

Last edited by Crookid; 10-27-2014 at 01:47 PM.
Old 10-27-2014, 02:42 PM   #4
MVP

HowDareI's Arena

I've been playing My Career since 2K10..and this is the first year I felt like I had to "relearn" the game.

After my first year I signed onto LA to play with Kobe as a center. On the Pelicans I was putting up monster games, 20 points 20 boards 5 blocks etc. I get to the Lakers and I'm lost, had to learn their system (who's taking the most shots, who likes to drive/spot up, where my best position to space the floor is).
So far I love how you have to adapt, because we're winning games and I'm only scoring 14 a night now, but I still grab 20 boards and block shots.

I agree it's corny when you do good, and the game tries to tell you how bad you played. But at least it's better than it was before where you had scripted stories affecting the gameplay itself.

-Allen Iverson
Old 10-27-2014, 02:46 PM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowDareI
I've been playing My Career since 2K10..and this is the first year I felt like I had to "relearn" the game.

After my first year I signed onto LA to play with Kobe as a center. On the Pelicans I was putting up monster games, 20 points 20 boards 5 blocks etc. I get to the Lakers and I'm lost, had to learn their system (who's taking the most shots, who likes to drive/spot up, where my best position to space the floor is).
So far I love how you have to adapt, because we're winning games and I'm only scoring 14 a night now, but I still grab 20 boards and block shots.

I agree it's corny when you do good, and the game tries to tell you how bad you played. But at least it's better than it was before where you had scripted stories affecting the gameplay itself.
Agreed.

And you're right. The less you score, the more the team gets involved. The more the team is involved the better your team plays and your record is.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-27-2014, 02:54 PM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rell7thirty
Made it easier on the eyes. People won't read a huge paragraph like that.

Anyway, I agree with you, for the most part. MyCareer has been a let down for me so far, I haven't even touched the park, yet. My team chemistry is 90% yet we can't win a game unless I sim. It's worse than last year (2k14) imo, as I won multiple championships with the Pistons. This year, I'm with the he Knicks and we are 3-11 lol. I'm leading the league in assists and points, as well as blocks, steals and triple doubles. Superstar sim.

We can't win unless I sim lol. The CPU goes on unstoppable runs where they don't miss, even after taking terrible shots. And my team can't buy a bucket, even wide open lay ups. There are instances where I have a teammate going up with a dunk animation then all of a sudden switches to a layup animation midway, and misses, wide open. I have video and screenshots of this nonsense.

I don't think 2K will fix it though. There will be people who will say we suck, yet won't dare play us locally. MyCareer is scripted nonsense, you just have to enjoy it for what it is.

I hope things change my 3rd season though. Hopefully I can make the playoffs or be on a winning team. I don't mind losing, but when it's blatant scripting, it's annoying.
Thing is, winning isn't a problem. I'm 9-1 on the season so far (no sims). Only loss was to the Warriors. I just couldn't stop Curry, Thompson and David Lee. Definitely cheese involved but I can take the good with the bad. My main gripe is the game not appreciating what you're bringing to the league in real time. The script is set to go off with certain queue's but in reality for an un drafted player to do the things I've done in a short career, the world would be in a frenzy via Jeremy Lin. I'm like 3rd in the league in scoring, top 3 in assists, steals, shooting a great percentage, etc. I'd have all kinds of endorsement deal offers already. The story is just too compelling. Sneaker companies would be having a bidding war over a player like that and 2K needs to capture that man. Make the player feel like a star when he is one and reward us for playing stellar. I appreciate the "journey" as much as anyone but let's be real. A player taking the league by storm in such a dramatic fashion is gonna bring about mass hysteria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookid
MLower the difficulty and work up and learn the momentum.

Trust me, I still think there are issues, but I was on here complaining a few weeks ago because HOF was frustrating me (still does but not as much). I guse to own HOF last year and couldn't do ish this year.

Dropped the difficulty down to All-star and learned the playbook, mastered the new momentum over poweredness and worked hard on my defense. Moved up to Superstar and when I started winning every game by 30+ points, I moved back up to HOF. Trust me it helps. Even if it's to get yourself scoring a high FG% and winning a few games. It will give you more patience and a psych boost.

I'm a PG on the Cavs and there are times when I want to break something. Like when LeBron goes 5-27 (true story) but it's all about plays and momentum. If your key guys like Harden or Howard miss 3 shots in a row, chances are they're cold. Get the ball to them only in wide open situations to heat them back up (layups not 3s) or run plays for other players and get them going. GET THE TEAM INVOLVED. It's even more important this year. You don't have to assist or score every time down. Run a play for other players and let it execute. Don't call for a pass, just let the team work. If it's your job (blue circle) to stand in the corner, just do it. A lot of times the play will run picks for said player and you'll be open, call for a pass and not realize he was open for a drive.

Also, get momentum up before you get subbed out. If you always gain momentum (a run) before you get subbed out the team will rock the house and increase the lead while you're on the bench.

I hope this helps man.
Man, it's not the skill level. I'm a 2K vet my dude. It's mainly an issue with my teammates str8 up just not performing like the Pro's that they are. Simple as that. Why isn't Harden breaking people down off the dribble and getting to the line, etc? Why is Howard NOT getting double digit rebounds and blocking 1-2 shots every game? I can run the offense (and not) when needed. The way they play tho, we'll be out of most games if I don't dominate the majority of possessions and I don't wanna have to do that. I do understand about the AI horrific shooting too. Harden went 3-18 one game. Finished with like 8 points. It's ridiculous.
Old 10-27-2014, 03:00 PM   #7
MVP

HowDareI's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel_INS
Man, it's not the skill level. I'm a 2K vet my dude. It's mainly an issue with my teammates str8 up just not performing like the Pro's that they are. Simple as that. Why isn't Harden breaking people down off the dribble and getting to the line, etc? Why is Howard NOT getting double digit rebounds and blocking 1-2 shots every game? I can run the offense (and not) when needed. The way they play tho, we'll be out of most games if I don't dominate the majority of possessions and I don't wanna have to do that. I do understand about the AI horrific shooting too. Harden went 3-18 one game. Finished with like 8 points. It's ridiculous.
Don't be like that, it's not an insult to you if you have to put the difficulty down or up..it's a new game, find what works best. I play on HoF and against the Rockets Harden couldn't miss no matter how much d we put on em.

Try calling plays, find ones that usually result in a score or at least a good shot. Score a few times, make the D double you, then kick to a shooter...stuff like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookid
Agreed.

And you're right. The less you score, the more the team gets involved. The more the team is involved the better your team plays and your record is.
Yes, exactly. This is the first year I really felt like I don't have to be Wilt or AI every night.

-Allen Iverson
Old 10-27-2014, 03:11 PM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowDareI
Don't be like that, it's not an insult to you if you have to put the difficulty down or up..it's a new game, find what works best. I play on HoF and against the Rockets Harden couldn't miss no matter how much d we put on em.

Try calling plays, find ones that usually result in a score or at least a good shot. Score a few times, make the D double you, then kick to a shooter...stuff like that.

Yes, exactly. This is the first year I really felt like I don't have to be Wilt or AI every night.
Lol I'm not letting ego influence how I'm playing or approaching the game. I'm not even sure what u mean by "don't be like that". The challenge of the game isn't my issue. I'd actually prefer a challenge. I don't mind losing as long as its a good, competitive game. I DO call plays. I experiment with different ways to get guys off (PAUSE) even if that means me sitting back and letting the AI run things. What I'm saying is their performances on average are so sub-standard, it's not worth it. And to elaborate on my point, u said u played AGAINST the Rockets and couldn't stop Harden. When I play AGAINST other stars, they play more like their real life counterparts but when they're on my team, they go dumb. I can't be the only one who sees or acknowledges this. I played basketball all through my youth, HS and college and I was pretty good so I understand how to play basketball, not video games. Does anyone else really get when I'm saying here??

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »