Home

Pro difficulty too hard?

This is a discussion on Pro difficulty too hard? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-23-2014, 11:08 AM   #33
Banned

tomzennsbruh's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Pro difficulty too hard?

Deleted because...never mind.

Last edited by tomzennsbruh; 11-23-2014 at 12:00 PM.
Old 11-23-2014, 03:33 PM   #34
Banned

Shady Mike's Arena

Lol you got people complaining that you actually have to play basketball this year lol...
Old 11-23-2014, 03:52 PM   #35
Banned

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Mike
Lol you got people complaining that you actually have to play basketball this year lol...

I know a lot about basketball and the NBA and in the past I always found pro to be to hard on NBA 2k games. In the past I always had to play on pro with sliders up for me to make d easier has I could never stop the CPU on pro. In the past on pro I could score but ever game I would give up like 120 points with out slider adjustments to make it easier. Last year no matter what I did with slider adjustments and with d adjustments like playing zone, full court press ect the CPU would score like 80 PIP a game. I felt like d was broken last year. In the past if I played on all star I would probly give up like 140 a game and lose by like 40 a game and I am not joking.

Now this year I have been playing on pro and I have been getting pretty good results. My last game I just played on all star for the first time this year and I lost but only by like 5 points and I had changes to win but I missed a few shoots and had a bad turnover at the end of the game. I fell like this years game is a lot easier then in the past and I may even try all star some more. On pro I felt like stats where pretty good only I play has the lakers and it felt like it was a little to easy to win on pro with the lakers so I think on all star I may lose more often like I should with the lakers. I think on pro it is a little to easy to score and shoot like 50% form the field. So on all star I may get more games of like 40-45% then I would on pro.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-20-2014, 05:00 AM   #36
Rookie

So after the patch I have to say it's even harder than before. Which is interesting, because I thought that maybe this was an mistake, but now I'm sure it is on purpose

Below is a screenshot of a game of me with the Magic against the CPU Raptors on pro/sim. This was the score with 6 minutes left in the second (!) quarter. After already trailing 42-30 after the first quarter the CPU decided to completely destroy me.

I mean even if I am the worst player ever and a complete moron that knows nothing about basketball: 7 of 10 threes, zero turnovers in six minutes? 71 - 42 in the middle of the second quarter? And that on the second easiest difficulty level? Really? And it's not like I made 10 turnovers or other stupid things. I ran plays for Oladipo and Harris that missed most of their shots and at one point had a mismatch of Vucevic posting up on Lowry which resulted in one of those two turnovers.

And the funny thing is: This was the fifth(!) time I played this same game. I quit four games with about the same result before that. I tried various strategies on defense and offense with little or no difference.

What is puzzling me and what I want to understand is: Why is a video game made this way? Why is it possible on the second easiest difficulty level to get those results? I don't understand it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tor-mag.jpg (193.8 KB, 97 views)
Old 12-23-2014, 09:00 AM   #37
Banned

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Smoove
The CPU AI is horrible this year. It doesn't matter what difficult you play on they are constantly doing unrealistic things on both sides of the ball. The CPU is not fun to play at all this year. Pretty disappointing.

Didn't know Smoove was on OS?

It's nice to hear you say that dude, mainly because I'm a religious watcher of your videos and you make it look ridiculously easy!
Old 12-23-2014, 10:07 AM   #38
Banned

Shady Mike's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBa17
Didn't know Smoove was on OS?

It's nice to hear you say that dude, mainly because I'm a religious watcher of your videos and you make it look ridiculously easy!
-__-

10 char
Old 12-23-2014, 10:37 AM   #39
MVP

blues rocker's Arena

OVR: 14

Pro difficulty is not too hard. if you're struggling on pro, then you're playing the game completely wrong. there are certain things you must do in order to do well in this game. If you do those things, you can do very well on Superstar and Hall of Fame, and you will blow teams out on Pro difficulty.

Below is my advice after I struggled at first and tried just about everything. I have finally figured out what i consider to be the most effective way to play this game. I posted this in another thread, but figured it could help here as well.

- in your coach settings, set "play art" to "full" and show "all plays" so you can see the what you're supposed to do on your plays. even if you know your plays, being able to see the play art helps because you can see what you're suppose to do a few seconds ahead of time, allowing you to time your passes better. turning on "all plays" is key, as this will show play art even for plays that you did not call yourself.

- before the game, go in your coach settings and set your points of emphasis to "manual".

- in your "points of emphasis" always set your offensive tempo to "shoot at will". what this will do is cause your teammates to automatically set screens for you in transition as you bring the ball up court giving you an opportunity to attack on the break before your opponent can set their defense. this helps a lot. having your play art set to "full" and "all plays" helps with this because it will show you when your teammate is going to come over and set a pick for you, giving you an early heads up so you can position your ball hander in the right spot to go around the pick.

- RIGHT AFTER YOUR OPPONENT SCORES, always try to attack the basket with your PG as you bring the ball up. it never hurts to drive to the rim and see if you can catch the defense off guard before they can set their defense. sometimes you get nothing, but you'd be surprised how often you can catch them napping and get an easy layup, or get them to sag off and leave shooters open by attacking the hoop right from the get-go. as you attack the hoop with your PG, ALWAYS WATCH FOR THE TRAILING BIG MAN coming up behind you. many times you can catch the defense napping and hit your trailing big man for a layup for an early score.

- if you get nothing from attacking in transition or from the early pick set in transition, then bring the ball back out to the top and run a play or a pick n roll. NEVER just try to go 1 on 1. ALWAYS use a pick and roll or a play. going 1 on 1 is how you give momentum to the other team. even if you are making shots off of isolation. attacking 1 on 1 might get you a few shots, but after a few minutes it will cause your team to go cold and your opponent will get the momentum. this is why you MUST run pick n rolls and plays - it keeps your team involved and prevents momentum from going to the other team. i have tried it both ways and i know this is how it works. the only time you should just go 1 on 1 is if you have a mismatch where a big man is guarding a quick guard. if you catch a big man guarding your PG or SG, call an isolation, do a hesitation one direction and crossover in the other direction to drive by him for a layup, dunk, or draw a foul.

- a good way to run plays is just to hold "R1" which is the "2k smart play." this will automatically call a decent play for you. i use it quite a bit as I don't like scrolling through menus to call plays.

- to take back the momentum ALWAYS RUN PLAYS or picks . you can't get back momentum from playing 1 on 1 and jacking up shots. if you run your picks and plays correctly, YOU WILL TAKE BACK THE MOMENTUM. again, it's up to you to make smart passes and run your plays and picks correctly though. momentum in this game is based on PLAYS AND PICKS and how well you run them. if you don't run plays and picks, or if you run them poorly, the other team gets the momentum. that's the basis of this game.

- when moving your ball handler around a pick, DON'T HOLD TURBO. just move the ball handler with the left stick. this will give you more control over the ball handler during the pick and allow you to make a better pass after the pick is set. if the defense stops your pick and roll, you must resist the temptation to pass to the roll man anyway…this is a good way to get turnovers. pay attention to the defenders on the pick and roll and read the pick and roll. if the defenders cut off the pass after the pick, pull the ball back out to the perimeter and run a play or another pick an roll.

- when you run picks, an opposing defender will often leave a teammate open on the perimeter to rush into the paint to help. always watch for this when running picks…you can often hit that open teammate for an outside shot. running picks is not always about getting a shot for the "roll man"…it often causes OTHER teammates to be left open who aren't involved in the pick. look for THOSE teammates in addition the roll man. again, it's on you to have the awareness to watch the WHOLE FLOOR and not just focus on your roll man.

- i start out with all of my defensive settings set to "auto" but then i will adjust throughout the game if an opposing player starts getting hot or if i notice that my teammates are leaving certain players open. if you notice your teammates are sagging off a perimeter player too much and giving him open shots, go into your defensive settings and set it to "tight" on that player for off-ball coverage. don't use "deny" as this will cause your teammate to play him too close and he will blow by them for backdoor cuts to the hoop. for players that are getting hot, set it to "tight" for on-ball coverage. if that player gets REALLY hot, then set it to "smother" for on-ball coverage.

- adjust your "points of emphasis" throughout the game based on what is happening. if you notice the opponent running in transition and getting a lot of points that way, set your rebounding point of emphasis to "limit transition." if you notice your opponent is getting a lot of offensive rebounds, set your defensive rebounding to "crash defensive boards."

- on defense….DO NOT ALWAYS JUST GUARD THE BALL HANDLER. playing good defense is about paying attention to what is happening OFF THE BALL. don't just watch the ball handler. watch the off ball players and see if they are making cuts. if you see an off ball opponent moving around off ball screens, this means they are going to pass to him for an outside shot…take control of that man's defender to evade the off ball screen and make sure you are in position when he receives the ball so he doesn't get an open 3. THIS IS KEY. you can't trust your teammates in these situations, as they will always get caught on the off-ball screens and give up the open 3. you must manually evade the off-ball screens by controlling your off-ball players. this element is key to playing defense. you must pay attention to what is happening OFF-BALL so you can see when the opponent is running a play and setting those off-ball screens for outside shots. if the opponent is not running any off ball screens and plays, then control your big man to protect the paint from any penetration and to box out for defensive rebounds.

that's about it. if you follow those rules, you can do very well on Superstar or Hall of Fame. it's not an automatic formula for success though, because in the end it's up to you to make smart passes and not turn the ball over when running your plays and picks.

when i do all of these things well i can often beat OKC and Golden State by double figures on Superstar difficulty, and even blow them out occasionally.

Last edited by blues rocker; 12-23-2014 at 04:37 PM.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:45 AM   #40
Banned

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Mike
-__-

10 char

What the problem bro?

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »