Home

How does MyLeague/MYGM players view premade draft classes?

This is a discussion on How does MyLeague/MYGM players view premade draft classes? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-31-2014, 09:22 AM   #1
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

OVR: 0
How does MyLeague/MYGM players view premade draft classes?

I ask this question because I play these two modes almost exclusively and I recognize how daunting a task it is to randomly generate dynamic, yet, realistic draft classes that fit into the fabric of the NBA year after year for 80 years.

I remember a few years ago with Madden how much fun I personally had (absolutely loved LeRon James & Dan Marrow?) with them. Even though I knew (by visiting this site) who the studs were every year. It added a lot for me. It would allow the commentators to already have their "storylines" recorded in the audio and make each year feel like real new talent has come into the league. You don't get that feeling now.

Imagine being in 2016 and following a prospects storyline all year and then drafting (or playing against) him. Then having Kevin Harlan and the crew comment on the kids struggles and accolades and where he was drafted. Is he billed as a savior; solid NBA starter; 6th man type, etc. Not to mention the players would look and play the part.

The flip side is that the premade classes ruined online franchise mode (IIRC) and some people like the element of total surprise. Anyway, I was just wondering how do franchise types feel about the pros and cons of premade draft classes vs randomly generated classes.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-31-2014, 12:36 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

redsox4evur's Arena

Re: How does MyLeague/MYGM players view premade draft classes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior Moe
I ask this question because I play these two modes almost exclusively and I recognize how daunting a task it is to randomly generate dynamic, yet, realistic draft classes that fit into the fabric of the NBA year after year for 80 years.

I remember a few years ago with Madden how much fun I personally had (absolutely loved LeRon James & Dan Marrow?) with them. Even though I knew (by visiting this site) who the studs were every year. It added a lot for me. It would allow the commentators to already have their "storylines" recorded in the audio and make each year feel like real new talent has come into the league. You don't get that feeling now.

Imagine being in 2016 and following a prospects storyline all year and then drafting (or playing against) him. Then having Kevin Harlan and the crew comment on the kids struggles and accolades and where he was drafted. Is he billed as a savior; solid NBA starter; 6th man type, etc. Not to mention the players would look and play the part.

The flip side is that the premade classes ruined online franchise mode (IIRC) and some people like the element of total surprise. Anyway, I was just wondering how do franchise types feel about the pros and cons of premade draft classes vs randomly generated classes.
I would suggest go premade, in a heart beat. Because 2K is known for having ****ty randomly generated draft classes. A prime example is they will have a center with a horrendous 3 pt rating jacking up 20-25 3's per game due to screwed up tendencies. And with premades that will most likely be fixed. Some cons depending on the person not all 150 players will be edited. But if you are X1 just use SimWorld's roster and draft classes and you will have no problems. IMO the best fantasy draft classes made. Also with 2K's classes some people, like myself, think the ratings for Rookies are way too high. So that is another negative.
Old 12-31-2014, 01:42 PM   #3
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

Oh I'm using Sim Worlds draft classes and rosters. I just like to get a few years into MyLeague before I really get into it and I move faster than they can put out their work. It's great though.

I like premmade classes too. But I really think it's hard to write the perfect algorithm or code or whatever it is that generates the classes. They are better this year, but they don't hold a candle to Deeece's work. That's what I want all 80 years! I don't think it's a matter of 2K not being capable or not trying, it just seems hard with so many variables in play. I listened to that Leftos podcast and the dude has some marvelous ideas for franchise mode. That's why I think premade classes (with user created classes still an option) would be the best of both worlds. I liked what they did in Madden, I just wished the "stories" continued after they got into the league.
Old 12-31-2014, 04:54 PM   #4
Pro

jaateloauto's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox4evur
Also with 2K's classes some people, like myself, think the ratings for Rookies are way too high. So that is another negative.
Fortunately with MyLeague there's a slider for draft class quality. Still, I don't think ratings vary enough. Players usually in real life have a quality or two that stand out when teams are deciding who to draft. There are rarely any role players available in 2K, just worse versions of top picks.

Quote:
I can imagine. It's a fun idea, but I'd hate to play a game where that was the only option.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:15 PM   #5
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

The draft classes have improved in 2K16, but again, I just don't feel a connection to the players and how they fit into MyLeague. Many faces still have that generic/ape-ish quality about them. And the tendencies are still a little out of whack.

At this point I really hope 2K goes the premade draft class route. That's the only way I could see this being fixed. Leave the custom classes, of course, but I just don't think that it's possible to have good, dynamic randomly generated draft classes. There are just too many variables. Randomize the order like Madden did and let her rip. I really enjoyed that aspect and actually looked forward to the draft. As it stands I cant get much further than a few years as Sim Worlds rosters run out after that. I'm 100% pro premade draft classes now.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-07-2016, 12:53 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 3

Quote:
The draft classes have improved in 2K16, but again, I just don't feel a connection to the players and how they fit into MyLeague. Many faces still have that generic/ape-ish quality about them. And the tendencies are still a little out of whack.

At this point I really hope 2K goes the premade draft class route. That's the only way I could see this being fixed. Leave the custom classes, of course, but I just don't think that it's possible to have good, dynamic randomly generated draft classes. There are just too many variables. Randomize the order like Madden did and let her rip. I really enjoyed that aspect and actually looked forward to the draft. As it stands I cant get much further than a few years as Sim Worlds rosters run out after that. I'm 100% pro premade draft classes now.

What exactly is this "ape-ish" quality of the faces that you speak of?
Old 02-07-2016, 01:08 PM   #7
Pro

x_NBA_x's Arena

OVR: 2

The best of both worlds would be for 2K to actually take on some draft class creators (maybe SimWorlds team) and allow for them to make all the creations etc and be fully rewarded for it.
Old 02-07-2016, 01:23 PM   #8
Rookie

I prefer random. They feel perfect this year. My only gripe is how ugly some guys can look. They need better looking guys and generated faces and heads.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »