Home

This ONE Little Change Would Really Improve DEFENSE....

This is a discussion on This ONE Little Change Would Really Improve DEFENSE.... within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-11-2015, 05:21 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0
This ONE Little Change Would Really Improve DEFENSE....

What is it...?

Start calling CHARGES.

I know this is a tricky one, but keeping everything the SAME while programming the game to actually CALL some of the charges that take place would add a much-needed BALANCE to the defensive end of the court.

It isn't necessarily the charges that would do it, its the FEAR of getting called for a charge.

As the game is now, you can really just crash to the hoop with little to no fear of getting called for an offensive foul. Just look at how many times a game an offensive player flat out RUNS OVER a defensive player with NO WHISTLE.

Just making charges a little more effective changes everything.

Suddenly, offensive players have to think about the TYPE of shot they are going to take when going to the basket. Not everything can just be a TURBO-DUNK. You would actually have to use the Euros, floaters, hop-step layups, reverse layups, etc.

This is what happens in real life. If LeBron had ZERO fear of getting called for offensive fouls, he would literally BARREL to the hole on every play. And that's basically what happens in 2K15 when other people get to control LeBron.

Sure...maybe they get called for ONE charge...but that hardly puts any fear into most players. One charge VS the 5 dunks and 8 FTs they will get out of it...well, that's not exactly BALANCE and it's no surprise that most choose to play like this. There are no repercussions...

Just a thought.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-11-2015, 05:26 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: This ONE Little Change Would Really Improve DEFENSE....

Havent they lowered charges since the game came out? I still have people who do nothing but try to take charges the whole game. Some even get called and I do nothing but walk around. I couldnt imagine if they made them more frequent.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:41 PM   #3
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnitewaters
Havent they lowered charges since the game came out? I still have people who do nothing but try to take charges the whole game. Some even get called and I do nothing but walk around. I couldnt imagine if they made them more frequent.
Well....that's the "tricky" part I was referring to.

You can't just program the game to overpower charges....otherwise you get cheeser idiots who just walk around trying to take them up and down the court.

There has to be a way to only make them more prevalent/effective in the half court, in the paint and midrange area.

Trust me...I don't want them to get to the point where the game becomes a cheesy charge-taking competition. But if done correctly, it would be nice to have the ability to take charges as a defensive weapon against those who just barrel to the rim incessantly.

It's rare to see a charge called in the paint in this game...most seem to come in SILLY situations out at half court or outside the 3PT line. This is OPPOSITE of what you see in the NBA.

It would just be nice to have a defensive player be able to slide over and take a charge in the paint. It really takes away the effectiveness of defensive players who use POSITION instead of shot-blocking to protect the rim.

Guys like Varejao or Nick Collison come to mind....or Dennis Rodman for the MyTeam guys.

Last edited by coached17; 03-11-2015 at 05:44 PM.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:47 PM   #4
Rookie

sreckless's Arena

OVR: 4

There should be way more turnovers of all kinds. That's always been one of the core problems with the game.

Charges, travelling, losing control of the ball, going out of bounds, etc. That stuff is almost non-existent in the game but is a big part of real life basketball. I assume they think putting that stuff in would frustrate too many people.

Most people you play online would have 50-60 turnovers a game if they played like that in a real life setting.

By artificially limiting turnovers you overpower offense. So to try to take offense down to a believable level, they made it harder to pass and shoot.

Which just makes people play even crazier to try and crash into the paint.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:58 PM   #5
Rookie

Charges are fine for the most part. If you get there in time then it will get called. The only spot they need to work on is the baseline dunk animations. If someone is driving on the baseline and triggers the stupid baseline dunk, they can run over 3 people and nothing is called. Other than that, I like the amount of charges called per game. Usually 2-3 called per online game for me. Especially if they are just trying to dunk it every possession.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-11-2015, 08:15 PM   #6
Rookie

Couldnt they just tune the sliders? My big men struggle to put back layups when someone is around them in the paint. Let alone why they never get to dunk when someone is around.

Its actually easier running from the 3 point line with smaller weaker players who run over all contact like its nothing. Thats not even counting the baseline like someone else said. Maybe I am the only one who sees/fells that way though?
Old 03-11-2015, 11:23 PM   #7
Text Battle Rec: 36-4

JerzeyReign's Arena

OVR: 43

I think the 'manual charges' are fine where they are at - any higher and guys will spam those things like yesteryear.

The spamming the sprint into the lane and trucking my defenders need to turn into charges though. I shouldn't have to manually go for a charge against something like that. Should be automatic IMO.
Old 03-13-2015, 02:25 AM   #8
Rookie

Charge system is actually pretty excellent. Correct angle and beating them to the spot and using the correctil combination of L stick, intense d, and turbo modifiers will get you a charge easy. I regularly get people fouled out when they just barrel to he rim with Lebron with this charge system. Ecspecially baseline because they are trained to think it's an automatic dunk. Right angle and you got them. I wish 2k would detail how to take angles and all of that in tutorials so that everyone can play defense like this and things can get more interesting. I think they need to bring back the jumpshooting fouls so that people are punished for spamming block. It really makes defense unrealistic when they jump all over you with no consequences, even if everything else about defense in generally great.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »