Home

Is this Cheese or is it Sim: Strong Side Zone PnR Blitz Defence

This is a discussion on Is this Cheese or is it Sim: Strong Side Zone PnR Blitz Defence within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-07-2015, 06:46 PM   #1
Pro

itchyroll_51's Arena

OVR: 0
Is this Cheese or is it Sim: Strong Side Zone PnR Blitz Defence

2K15 is leaps and bounds ahead of its predecessors on offense. However, its defensive potential shouldn't be overlooked. When utilize correctly, the current DEF settings and POE combined can create NBA-LIKE defensive systems. Check out my Chicago Bulls and Miami Heat inspired Strong Side Zone PnR Blitz D:
*I tested this in an online HOF SIM game vs well known SIM player Coach2K

This is the most advance system i have been able to create in 2K ever. I believe the days of just on-ball d = Sim will be behind us soon. Modern NBA defense is all about switching, rotations, and paint protection; I believe my Strong Side Zone PnR Blitz Defensive System reflects that. Feel free to discuss as always ^_^

Sam Pham
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-07-2015, 08:52 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 3
Re: Is this Cheese or is it Sim: Strong Side Zone PnR Blitz Defence

Its an aggressive defense and its similar to something i run, but its really effective because of 2ks slow passing and unintelligent spacing.

Bigs drift and fade out of range making recovery even easier for the already foot-planting-forgiving defense.

As far as effectiveness tho, it's definitely disruptive. Good tips.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:06 PM   #3
Rookie

City_foxx's Arena

The reason abusing these double and trap mechanics is cheesy in a 'blitz' style defence (IMO) is because the low level of iq the off ball players ai. 1 exapmle in your vid hill and west at 1.26 stood near the corner allowing 1 defender to gaurd them both. A human player on hill would have drifted to the wing creating a 2 on 1 on the weak side.Also when running plays from your play book the screen man doesnt read blitz or traps or even hard hedges and wont slip on his own unless you call 4 a pick with circlce and call 4 a slip. Add the frustrating 'double teamed' erratic pass animations and you understand why the arcade players like cashnasty have been mindlessly spamming double teams and halph court traps for years.

Last edited by City_foxx; 07-07-2015 at 09:11 PM.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:28 PM   #4
Pro

itchyroll_51's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2_headedmonster
Its an aggressive defense and its similar to something i run, but its really effective because of 2ks slow passing and unintelligent spacing.

Bigs drift and fade out of range making recovery even easier for the already foot-planting-forgiving defense.

I agree with the slow passing but there are already mechanics avaliable to deal with bad AI spacing. When I face a double team heavy opponent I will go 3-2 motion cuts and everytime I see/anticipate a double I will call a quick ISO. A quick ISO resets the AI on offense to go back to freelance immediately.

I kill double teams all day like this. I call a quick ISO before I pass and the d is dead in the water because my AI teammates will go into motion cuts 3-2 spacing; they will no longer follow a bad play or stand around like trees.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:30 PM   #5
Rookie

Dyslexicphish's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by City_foxx
The reason abusing these double and trap mechanics is cheesy in a 'blitz' style defence (IMO) is because the low level of iq the off ball players ai. 1 exapmle in your vid hill and west at 1.26 stood near the corner allowing 1 defender to gaurd them both. A human player on hill would have drifted to the wing creating a 2 on 1 on the weak side.Also when running plays from your play book the screen man doesnt read blitz or traps or even hard hedges and wont slip on his own unless you call 4 a pick with circlce and call 4 a slip. Add the frustrating 'double teamed' erratic pass animations and you understand why the arcade players like cashnasty have been mindlessly spamming double teams and halph court traps for years.
This pretty much hits the nail on the head. The game doesn't handle double teams realistically. Players don't space or rotate properly, ballhandlers get sucked into the double too easily and screeners can be pretty dumb. Don't get me wrong, it's an actual tactic used by actual NBA teams. I mean, I've done this exact same tactic myself and it can be extremely effective. It's cheese and not sim though because the game can't simulate blitzing the PnR properly. The offensive AI is still a bit too "dumb" to counteract it like players would in real life.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-07-2015, 09:33 PM   #6
Trequartista

10's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2_headedmonster

Better spacing league wide is one of the main reasons why teams stopped blitzing on pick n rolls. The amount of space it creates if the ball handler can get by the first guy breaks down defenses. There's a ton of reasons why this method can work in 2k, players don't space correctly or time cuts correctly and having the ball in that much space doesn't break down a defense like it should. Goran Dragic and Chris Bosh certainly shouldn't be able to execute this the same way that LeBron could.

The first time you blitzed in the video he passed up an open 3 with George Hill then when he went to pass back to David West for whatever reason he's running to half court instead fading to the elbow. Blitzing might work against a team without shooters like Indiana but can easily be beaten by most teams. It's not cheese though, a smart user with the right team should have no trouble against this defense.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:34 PM   #7
Banned

thedream2k16's Arena

if the offense has no counter, its cheap strategy
Old 07-07-2015, 10:20 PM   #8
Rookie

City_foxx's Arena

Another thing to note the player on defense can switch players very rapidly to make positioning adjustments. The offensive player cannot. The get opean and have player cut features arent practical at all so the offense has very litte conrtol of the other four players once a play is broken. Abusing a mechanic to force your opponent into an unfair situation repeatedly, thats like the definition of cheese isnt it?

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »