Home

perfect releases making a return

This is a discussion on perfect releases making a return within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-17-2015, 05:08 PM   #41
MVP

jk31's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: perfect releases making a return

Quote:
I am grateful I can use real FG% and turn off the meter. I am also happy that if you enjoy the mechanic you can choose to use it. Options are what please the masses.

And as soon 2k learns to give online people options, we have a really good game... That's what's striking me most. Offline you can do whatever you want (nearly), but when you're an online player, they force you to use options without being able to change it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2015, 05:13 PM   #42
Hall Of Fame

redsox4evur's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk31
And as soon 2k learns to give online people options, we have a really good game... That's what's striking me most. Offline you can do whatever you want (nearly), but when you're an online player, they force you to use options without being able to change it.
It makes sense how they are doing it. You like using real FG% and but the guy you are playing against doesn't want to use it what do you. And you can't allow the home team to choose the options because everybody would be gunning to being the home team 100% of the time. And they would back out every time they don't get the home team.
Old 07-17-2015, 11:58 PM   #43
MVP

Ownal0t's Arena

Are you trying to say all of 2k wanted this meter? Iirc my lone complaint was missing a+ excellent shots while the other guys Jacks some derozen type bs and has it go in.

Guess what? Even with the meter it happens. Except my green shots go in. But shots near the line miss like crazy while red shots go in like there no tomorrow. And that's more annoying than the past system. Especially when the meter is broken in a good (see bosh ) or horrible way (see curry ) for players
Old 07-18-2015, 08:05 AM   #44
Banned

thedream2k16's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownal0t
Are you trying to say all of 2k wanted this meter? Iirc my lone complaint was missing a+ excellent shots while the other guys Jacks some derozen type bs and has it go in.

Guess what? Even with the meter it happens. Except my green shots go in. But shots near the line miss like crazy while red shots go in like there no tomorrow. And that's more annoying than the past system. Especially when the meter is broken in a good (see bosh ) or horrible way (see curry ) for players
stop playing on low difficutly settings. red shots do not go in or regular basis unless you playing on casual park mode or myteam. Both are on low difficulties
Old 07-18-2015, 08:16 AM   #45
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum
I just think the mechanic lacks that organic feeling. As you talk about shooting in real life, I want the game to reflect that. My feedback doesn't need to be a meter. I have what I feel are perfect releases in real life that end up as misses. It might not be my spot, base was off, body wasn't squared up, didn't get my legs in it enough...but it can still feel great coming out. On the flip side I could throw up a shot I feel is bad but it goes in.

I just don't feel the meter is necessary and is a game within a game.
This is pretty much how I feel...to me perfect releases are fine,no need for a meter on screen though,imo it feels like the game is holding your hand a bit too much.

A consistent shot is achievable just by watching your player's jump shot form and finding what feels like the sweet spot to you.To me this method also feels a bit more natural and realistic than staring at a meter, which can be a bit distracting.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-18-2015, 11:39 AM   #46
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWrestling3
This is pretty much how I feel...to me perfect releases are fine,no need for a meter on screen though,imo it feels like the game is holding your hand a bit too much.

A consistent shot is achievable just by watching your player's jump shot form and finding what feels like the sweet spot to you.To me this method also feels a bit more natural and realistic than staring at a meter, which can be a bit distracting.
I never look at the meter during the shot. I watch the player's shooting form, release it where I think I should during the animation, and then glance down at the meter afterwards to see how close I got. I play Team Up primarily, and I like to change things up, so I'm always playing with different players. I also don't get to play as often as I would like, so I don't have the time to go into practice mode and try to master the shot of every player I might conceivably feel like playing with some day. Also, sometimes there can be a slight delay when playing online, so trying to match your release with the animation can result in a slightly late release. The meter simply helps me dial in my release by giving me a little more precise data then Too Early-Slightly Early-Excellent-Slightly Late-Too Late.

I can fully understand people not liking perfect releases being 99% makes. That aspect is definitely up for debate, and even I'm not completely certain where I stand on that. But I don't see any problem with the meter itself.
Old 07-18-2015, 11:53 AM   #47
MVP

OVR: 9

Besides fixing the meter, they definitely should have a look what other game does to which i mean i don't need to just make the right stylistic way of shooting, not every shooter shoots the same way on their jumpers (Jamal Crawford fe.) to make it succesful, sometimes they release early or late yet they make or just the opposite, they get their shot in perfect style but the ball goes off so i know it's not easy to implement (we still have this system clearly broken in areas) but i hope they work on somethings that will be new to mechanical way of shooting. Maybe the ball and rim interaction outcomes should be much more varied. I don't want to see the same outcomes after a while. I want that ball/rim interaction to be endless way..

I know i want a lot, but i think 2k is on the right path of changing stuff and making better, there definitely needs a balance betw before/after patch4.

just my 2 cents.
Old 07-18-2015, 12:03 PM   #48
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokes404
I never look at the meter during the shot. I watch the player's shooting form, release it where I think I should during the animation, and then glance down at the meter afterwards to see how close I got. I play Team Up primarily, and I like to change things up, so I'm always playing with different players. I also don't get to play as often as I would like, so I don't have the time to go into practice mode and try to master the shot of every player I might conceivably feel like playing with some day. Also, sometimes there can be a slight delay when playing online, so trying to match your release with the animation can result in a slightly late release. The meter simply helps me dial in my release by giving me a little more precise data then Too Early-Slightly Early-Excellent-Slightly Late-Too Late.

I can fully understand people not liking perfect releases being 99% makes. That aspect is definitely up for debate, and even I'm not completely certain where I stand on that. But I don't see any problem with the meter itself.
I can agree that Team Up is a different experience altogether and for that mode a shot meter is fine;I was speaking more of modes like My Career and Park where you are basically always using the same player.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »