Home

2K needs to work on the mechanics of big men.

This is a discussion on 2K needs to work on the mechanics of big men. within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-18-2015, 09:35 PM   #49
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: 2K needs to work on the mechanics of big men.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedream2k16
hook shots have timing my friend.
Really? I instinctively release as if they have timing, but I thought they were like layups and timing of release was actually irrelevant, once the animation starts.

Wait...please don't tell me layups have timing...

I can't pull up the game and try right now, but here's a video showing Post Hook shots and there's nothing going on in the shot meter, unlike Post Fades in the same video...

https://youtu.be/w2CsoZ7zwm8?t=3m54s
Old 08-18-2015, 09:44 PM   #50
All-Pro

ATLBrayden's Arena

OVR: 18

I thought hook shots didn't have timing either, normally you just perform it and the shot meter doesn't even fill. I know online sometimes the entire thing will light up red (it won't fill like a normal shot) but that doesn't mean it's a bad release it just happens after you do a hook shot.

My NBA 2K19 Lakers Dynasty -https://forums.operationsports.com/f...-nba-2k19.html

PSN: GetYourSwooshOn
XBL: Gunslinger7O2
Old 08-18-2015, 09:54 PM   #51
D* B**rs!

Boilerbuzz's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryl
No way to know for sure, but I don't think that's the case. I think ability to back someone down is primarily a function of weight and strength. It should be, anyway.

Wow. No offense, but this post is the most uninformed in the thread. Anchoring is a skill. It's not just about weight and strength.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2015, 10:19 PM   #52
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilerbuzz
Wow. No offense, but this post is the most uninformed in the thread. Anchoring is a skill. It's not just about weight and strength.
No offense taken, but then what is the rating(s) that corresponds to this? And if it's Post Control, then why does Michael Jordan have a higher Post Control rating than Moses Malone?

Or...is Post Control a relative rating qualified for weight/strength, in that Michael Jordan is "98 for a guy who is 190 pounds with 71 Strength," whereas Yao Ming is "96 for a guy who is 310 pounds with 94 Strength," thereby explaining why Yao can back down Jordan despite having a lower Post Control rating?

And even if it's relative to Size/Weight/Strength, then does it make sense that Greg Ostertag and Tree Rollins have Post Control rating of 40?

Or do you think it's a rating other than Post Control? Which one, if not a function of Weight and Strength?

I don't see backing someone down as a skill, but a function of physical attributes. The skill is in backing down someone while maintaining control over one's dribble rather than bouncing it off one's foot or allowing someone to steal it. Hence my assumption that Post Control is about Ball Control while posting up.

Could very well be a wrong assumption. Am interested in what other people think. Would be nice if you explained your understanding of it, rather than simply calling mine uninformed.

Last edited by harryl; 08-18-2015 at 10:24 PM.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:31 PM   #53
D* B**rs!

Boilerbuzz's Arena

I'm not saying weight and size aren't major components. And I was talking about post play in real life. As for Jordan having a higher PC than Malome, maybe it's to reflect the fact that Jordan's back to the basket game was legendary even for a guard. His footwork and arsenal of moves were on par with some of the best post bigs ever. The fact that he was a guard is the only thing that stops him from being compared to Hakeem or Kareem.

But to answer your question about the game, it's all of them. Yes, it's post controls AS WELL AS strength and weight. I would think that quickness is a factor as well. So the big, fat, yet unskilled guys don't dominate like the two I mentioned.

Last edited by Boilerbuzz; 08-18-2015 at 10:38 PM.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:38 PM   #54
MVP

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedream2k16
hook shots have timing my friend.
Proof/source? I dont think ive ever seen you substantiate this claim.

I firmly believe post control is tied to how well you can avoid getting stripped in the post and strength is for backing down. Dont over-think it.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:39 PM   #55
D* B**rs!

Boilerbuzz's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2_headedmonster
Proof/source? I dont think ive ever seen you substantiate this claim.

Doesn't the shot meter come up on hook shots? Wouldn't that be proof enough?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2015, 10:46 PM   #56
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilerbuzz
I'm not saying weight and size aren't major components. And I was talking about post play in real life.
I was talking about the game, not real life. Go back and read the context for the remark of mine that you called uninformed. The context was a conversation about what the "Post Control" rating determines.

ATLBrayden was saying he would like to see two different ball handling ratings:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLBrayden
Perhaps two ball handing ratings can be made, post handles and regular handles, that way bigs can hold on to the ball in the post but will be unable to dribble it up the court unless they can do the same in real life.
To which I said that I thought that's what Post Control is all about. ATLBrayden replied he thought Post Control "was how well you could back someone down and keep position in the post."

Clear now?

Quote:
As for Jordan having a higher PC than Malome, maybe it's to reflect the fact that Jordan's back to the basket game was legendary even for a guard. His footwork and arsenal of moves were on par with some of the best post bigs ever.
Right. So something other than the physical ability to push backward to back another man down while posting up, or the corresponding physical ability to resist being backed down.

I still don't think Post Control has anything to do with how good a player (in NBA 2K15 the Video Game) is at backing down a defender or resisting that, as a defender.

Try taking Greg Ostertag and posting up on Michael Jordan. I'm guessing he can back Jordan down, but will be more prone to turning the ball over.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »