Home

How do you guys use defensive settings?

This is a discussion on How do you guys use defensive settings? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-18-2015, 08:59 AM   #57
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: How do you guys use defensive settings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
It's more like "off" on guys that basically stay on the perimeter, or aren't a threat to roll hard to the rim and finish on the PnR or can't really beat some off the bounce and get to the cup. The weaker your PnR defense and one on one perimeter defense is the more people you need to turn it on for.

I use the Lakers and don't have any top notch wing defenders so I have it on for a lot of the opponent players. Defenders are coming to help much quicker now, forcing the CPU to pass the ball a lot of the time. I'm giving up more open jumpers now, which is how it should be when you getting beat on the perimeter. Sometimes the help will come off of a good shooter, but it can't be helped because you can't give up a layup or a dunk
Maybe this is why some people are having trouble with the help d "not being effective this year", Because if they were using pre rotate in the sense of "OFF OF" you wouldn't want to rotate "off of" let's say a KD or a Kyrie who will both beat you off the dribble or knock down a 3. So when they do blow past you or get a good p&r, since pre rotate would be set to "No", the AI would not prioritize stopping their penetration over staying with their man, causing the help d to be late or non existent without the user switching to a big after they've been beaten. Now if it is set to yes, ai near the paint area will be much more aware of their drives and react quicker . The only thing is good playmakers will also dump the ball off to the helper's man if the c or pf helps from around the paint. This also probably contributes to the high PIP numbers everyone is seeing too. By having pre rotate set to no and/or having it set to yes/no on the wrong people. I think it goes along with the whole "pick your poison" theme 2k has been going with the past few years. Pre rotate and stop the drive and leave a few shooters open, or don't pre rotate and basically go one on one across the board which will more than likely lead to more layups and dunks against teams with good athletes who can get to the rim. Im thinking They probably tuned down basic help d because now you have more control or the options to actually focus in on the help d and select who you want to help/rotate on to or just ignore.....buuuut hey this is just me talkin...I could be wrong as two left shoes haha...

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Old 10-18-2015, 09:07 AM   #58
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

As an offline player only, I've also kicked up the help defense slider and the defensive awareness slider so I feel like the PnR is really balanced now.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 10-18-2015, 10:46 AM   #59
DC
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 39

So the confusion is whether Pre-Rotate means to

A. Pre-Rotate OFF of (Tony Allen)
B. Pre-Rotate when Scorer gets ball
Old 10-18-2015, 03:30 PM   #60
Pro

ThatMichiganFan's Arena

I think I agree with jfsolo, that if pre-rotate is on, then players will rotate towards that player on a drive to the basket. So, it is useful on players like Lebron, Westbrook, Griffin, and other stars who attack the basket often.

2K18 Sliders:https://forums.operationsports.com/f...n-sliders.html
Old 10-18-2015, 04:51 PM   #61
MVP

OVR: 3

First of all this thread brings a tear to my eye i love that people are scheming and strategizing on the defensive end. Shouts out to DC for laying out the settings in laymens for those who are want to take the next step, but dont know where to begin.

With that said, ive been toying around with the 'pre-rotate' option and im really not seeing the difference. If I set my big to off-ball gap and pre-rotate, when the roll man dives he should meet him before the block/charge circle. I haven't been able to accomplish that with any sort of consistency.

I also took the "rotate to" approach with the same results.

If someone has video of the before and after to support their hypothesis, id love to see where im going wrong.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-18-2015, 04:58 PM   #62
Pro

ThatMichiganFan's Arena

Using it against the raptors, I saw a difference when Lowry or DeRozan drove towards the basket (I had pre-rotate set to on for both) or when someone like Corey Joseph drove to the basket (pre-rotate set to off). My big men took an extra step over to stop the drive against Lowry and Demar, but stayed home when Joseph drove.

I have no proof, and the difference is very slight, so it may just be placebo. But I am going to use it as "rotate to" until told otherwise.

2K18 Sliders:https://forums.operationsports.com/f...n-sliders.html
Old 10-18-2015, 05:14 PM   #63
MVP

OVR: 3

Ok i'll have to toy with it in non pick and roll circumstances and see what i can notice.

I'm currently toying with how to drop down off of a minimal perimeter shooting threat on a drive but havent found the right combo just yet.
Old 10-18-2015, 05:35 PM   #64
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Here's a short clip. I have Pre-Rotate on for Kevin Martin, because I am playing him tight on the perimeter making him put the ball on the floor every time. I also have Pre-Rotate on Nikola Peković, to keep him from getting easy rolls to the rim in the PnR.

Notice how Black gets to Martin before he gets into the paint, and Bass comes over to keep Pekovic from getting a easy putback. Since I've been using the Pre-Rotate correctly Black and Hibbert have been especially good at stopping guys before they get all the way to the rim.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »