Home

My Player caps are a rip-off

This is a discussion on My Player caps are a rip-off within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-08-2015, 01:36 PM   #17
MVP

nuckles2k2's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: My Player caps are a rip-off

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouth
I play superstar, but casual. I always get A or better unless im fouling out. Im just saying, does your exact overall matter much when however style you play you are doing it better than any other player in the fictitious NBA yourplayer lives in.

Whether you want to play like Jordan or Stockton, Shaq or LeBron, you can do it better, even on Hall of Fame Sim. Even if u just let coach call plays and you stand on your spots within the offense.

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk
"Valid" points...

So it makes sense for the user of an offline mode to literally not be able to emulate any of the upper echelon players in the NBA. In the fictitious world we're playing in.

Whether you dump money into VC to be those players immediately (not recommended & less fun IMO) or have an empty shell of a promising prospect who can one day become one of those players...why not let us have that in our fictitious NBA?

You're saying that the best decision for the developers to make is to limit offline players from creating like-wise athletes with the size-athletecism combo of a LBJ, KD, or Wall -- solely to balance an online game mode?

I'm just saying...a 6'8'' SF shouldn't have his ball control limited to a 66 when Melo is at an 80+ something ball control. That's not even the strongest part of his game, and I think the 80whatever is too high for him.

I've always said MyCareer & MyPark should be two distinct, separate, modes. But that was born of the server issues. Now the online mode is literally telling the offline mode "we control your fictitious NBA universe, because we're trying to stop cheesers here..."

From an objective viewpoint...that's stupid.
Old 10-08-2015, 01:41 PM   #18
Pro

OVR: 0

Good point. I like the caps but I definitely agree. Carmelos ball control is 89. Durant has a higher speed cap. LeBron has like a 76 Ball control. I understand they want to stop park cheese But everyone that plays mycareer doesn't play park. And vice versa.
Old 10-08-2015, 01:43 PM   #19
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckles2k2
"Valid" points...

So it makes sense for the user of an offline mode to literally not be able to emulate any of the upper echelon players in the NBA. In the fictitious world we're playing in.

Whether you dump money into VC to be those players immediately (not recommended & less fun IMO) or have an empty shell of a promising prospect who can one day become one of those players...why not let us have that in our fictitious NBA?

You're saying that the best decision for the developers to make is to limit offline players from creating like-wise athletes with the size-athletecism combo of a LBJ, KD, or Wall -- solely to balance an online game mode?

I'm just saying...a 6'8'' SF shouldn't have his ball control limited to a 66 when Melo is at an 80+ something ball control. That's not even the strongest part of his game, and I think the 80whatever is too high for him.

I've always said MyCareer & MyPark should be two distinct, separate, modes. But that was born of the server issues. Now the online mode is literally telling the offline mode "we control your fictitious NBA universe, because we're trying to stop cheesers here..."

From an objective viewpoint...that's stupid.
Well they try to get a balance, because the other way the offline players happy and the online arent. Im not saying do anything ill adapt to what i like best. To me the mycareer game mode is a super easy fun mode no matter what difficulty setting or player build. So i look at it as fun and dont even consider trying to make it sim. If u wanted to emulate the nba half the mycareer players would have a hidden potential rating that u would never see and be out of the league in 3 years.

In a perfect world id like both as separate modes as well. But to me, beyond shooting % the ratings can be overcome. My center has like 40 steal rating and i average 8 a game.

Old 10-08-2015, 02:02 PM   #20
MVP

nuckles2k2's Arena

Quote:
Well they try to get a balance, because the other way the offline players happy and the online arent. Im not saying do anything ill adapt to what i like best. To me the mycareer game mode is a super easy fun mode no matter what difficulty setting or player build. So i look at it as fun and dont even consider trying to make it sim. If u wanted to emulate the nba half the mycareer players would have a hidden potential rating that u would never see and be out of the league in 3 years.

In a perfect world id like both as separate modes as well. But to me, beyond shooting % the ratings can be overcome. My center has like 40 steal rating and i average 8 a game.

I gotcha, but I'm stopping at the fact that there's very little freedom of building the player you want. Not whether or not it's a difficult mode.

It also doesn't have to be a perfect world for the modes to be separate, they can both exist exclusively. I have a feeling they're not exclusive because of VC, but that's just my suspicion.
Old 10-08-2015, 04:03 PM   #21
Pro

LO6IX's Arena

I have to agree. Why does my ball control max out at 73 and as a 6'6 SG? I really can't do anything off the dribble.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-08-2015, 04:12 PM   #22
MVP

Taer's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
... So it makes sense for the user of an offline mode to literally not be able to emulate any of the upper echelon players in the NBA..
At least with MyCareer, it is very easy to meet or exceed any real life deviant and be the type of basket-ball player you desire. A 55 rated MyPlayer plays very differently in the hands of a human than a 75 or 80 rated player being controlled by the ai.

Even as a 5'7" "outside shooting" PG, I am able to emulate Russell Westbrook quite easily at a rating of 73. If you really are having trouble achieving your desired emulation, perhaps a lower skill level should be used.
Old 10-08-2015, 04:21 PM   #23
MVP

Taer's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
... So i look at it as fun and dont even consider trying to make it sim. If u wanted to emulate the nba half the mycareer players would have a hidden potential rating that u would never see and be out of the league in 3 years.

We disagree on this a lot. The MyCareer mode should be one of the most "sim" experiences you can have in 2K. This is the most popular mode and expectations are set here for most if not all those going online later.

If this mode is casual and easy to cheese, the expectations are set that any mode involving the MyPlayer is the same. This is one of my personal frustrations - how can anyone demand that everything a person learns while building their MyPlayer be challenged and changed in any other mode?

Also, the idea that most MyPlayers would need to be out of the NBA in 3 years is misplaced to be sim in MC. The reason this is misplaced is that MC is offline and each of us is in a separated world. We do not share MyCareer experiences and you are not in my world until I encounter you outside of that mode in an online mode.
Old 10-08-2015, 04:49 PM   #24
MVP

nuckles2k2's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taer
At least with MyCareer, it is very easy to meet or exceed any real life deviant and be the type of basket-ball player you desire. A 55 rated MyPlayer plays very differently in the hands of a human than a 75 or 80 rated player being controlled by the ai.

Even as a 5'7" "outside shooting" PG, I am able to emulate Russell Westbrook quite easily at a rating of 73. If you really are having trouble achieving your desired emulation, perhaps a lower skill level should be used.
I don't mean emulation in terms of play style, I think that was expressed here:

Quote:

I'm just saying...a 6'8'' SF shouldn't have his ball control limited to a 66 when Melo is at an 80+ something ball control. ...
I'm talking about the fact that as a 6'8'' SF, my ball control has a cap of 66, while Melo has a ball control of 88, LBJ is 77, Durant has 89, but my player is to never attain those sorts of numbers, not because I used up all of my attribute slots, but because 2K said "you'll never be an elite ball handler as a SF, because we're protecting MyPark from cheesy SF's who **** up ankles & knees up on the regular".

John Wall is a hyper athletic freak of nature who just discovered his jump shot in the past couple of seasons. He's 6'4''. You can't emulate that. If you make a PG that's 6'4'', you can't have that athleticism -- you'll be a note below it. And the only reason is because of a mode that you may or may not play.

That's bad practice when it comes to programming. You try to keep things in scope as much as possible. Split the modes and give the offline people whatever they want, and the online people whatever they want. To the best of your abilities/as much as possible, of course.

This seems like a blatant lack of trying, while ensuring that VC sales stay up, and they're trying to balance the online play as much as possible, seemingly, while ignoring the offline mode that's unwillingly married to the online portion.

I'm sure if there wasn't an attribute trade-off, you would have made your PG taller than 5'7''. Of course I could be wrong, but I'm not sure I am.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »