Home

My Player caps are a rip-off

This is a discussion on My Player caps are a rip-off within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-08-2015, 06:33 PM   #25
MVP

Taer's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: My Player caps are a rip-off

Before continuing this, I want to say that I believe we are closer in our macro-beliefs and our wants with regards to MC and MyPlayer.

With that being said we do differ on the impact of caps this year in MC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckles2k2
I'm talking about the fact that as a 6'8'' SF, my ball control has a cap of 66, while Melo has a ball control of 88, LBJ is 77, Durant has 89, but my player is to never attain those sorts of numbers, not because I used up all of my attribute slots, but because 2K said "you'll never be an elite ball handler as a SF, because we're protecting MyPark from cheesy SF's who **** up ankles & knees up on the regular".
The rating system is not as meaningful in MyCareer as it is in other modes. This is why, with regards to the offline mode, the fact that caps exist do not matter as much.

The purpose of the rating system is to provide a framework for a player, computer or human control, to emulate or mimic real life performance. In the hands of the ai, a Melo with ball control of 65 will act differently and have differing statistics than one with a ball control of 85. We both are on the same page here.

Where I differ from your view is that a MyPlayer with a ball-control of 65 can have the identical (if not superior) statistical outcome as a MyPlayer with ball control of 85. This applies offline only.

Offline, does it really matter if your listed as an 85 ball handler or 65 if you still end up performing the same or better than the ai with an 85 rating?

Quote:
John Wall is a hyper athletic freak of nature who just discovered his jump shot in the past couple of seasons. He's 6'4''. You can't emulate that. If you make a PG that's 6'4'', you can't have that athleticism -- you'll be a note below it. And the only reason is because of a mode that you may or may not play.
If "emulate" means to be able to perform statistically the same, I believe you can, even with caps enforced. If "emulate" means clone to the minute detail his form, his haircut and his sneakers, then I agree: you can not. In this mode, John Wall's athleticism can be emulated (achieved) at any rating, if you play your character well enough.

Quote:
That's bad practice when it comes to programming. You try to keep things in scope as much as possible. Split the modes and give the offline people whatever they want, and the online people whatever they want. To the best of your abilities/as much as possible, of course.
Attaching vc, offline progression and online ability and progression is a fundamental flaw. We don't have any disagreement there. I've been an advocate for separating offline MyCareer from online MyPlayer ever since the 2K team came up with the existing structure. It is horrid programming trying to kill the goose laying the golden egg in cross-pollinating the offline and online experiences.

Leftos and his online counterpart (name escaping me atm) have done a wonderful job at recognizing this fact and have explicitly built separated foundations for the online league experience and the offline experience. This separation is among the key cornerstones behind the MyLeague and MyGM modes being considered industry leaders.

MyCareer started out strong but with the current gen platforms has seriously lost its way. Instead of actively working to separate the offline and online experience the co-mingling of the two is proving to be weakness.

Quote:
I'm sure if there wasn't an attribute trade-off, you would have made your PG taller than 5'7''. Of course I could be wrong, but I'm not sure I am.
I honestly can not say - I took what I was told was going to be 2K16 reality and I ran with it. I am a "speed" addicted PG player so I suspect you are correct but today's MyCareer is a new implementation so I am still feeling out what will happen for the next cycle (3 years).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-08-2015, 06:40 PM   #26
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

OVR: 4

Caps should have been produced based on averages by position and play style of the top players in those metrics.

Average Speed of Athletic PG: 90
Average 3pt of Perimeter Threat SG: 85
Average Ball Control for elite ball handlers @ PG and SG: 90 and 85

These are out of hat numbers but the premise is there: I feel the current cap is too restrictive and rough in deployment.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk
Old 10-08-2015, 07:32 PM   #27
Pro

OVR: 0

Quote:

Offline, does it really matter if your listed as an 85 ball handler or 65 if you still end up performing the same or better than the ai with an 85 rating?
Heres the thing though- while those with awesome stick skills may be able to get the same amount of points/rebs/assists with such a player, it's still a fact that the 65 ball handler will explode out of moves slower, and generally handle like the inferior ball handler his ratings say. And not everyone is good enough to put up MVP stats with a low rated player on the higher difficulties anyway.

Quote:
MyCareer started out strong but with the current gen platforms has seriously lost its way. Instead of actively working to separate the offline and online experience the co-mingling of the two is proving to be weakness.
agreed with this totally. These attributes caps, and other things like lack of gear and accessories for our MyCareer player, is a direct result of forcibly tying our MyPlayer to modes like MyPark. It's unfortunate.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »