Home

Problems with HoF cheese

This is a discussion on Problems with HoF cheese within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-12-2015, 08:12 AM   #9
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38
Re: Problems with HoF cheese

Here's my question, does it have to be?

Like, do we have to break the rules of the game to increase difficulty?

I get annoyed when people say "the AI's intelligence should just increase as you raise the difficulty.....because that's way easier said than done.

BUT, with the leap the AI took this year I hope we are headed more in that direction.

A heavily contested shot should be a heavily contested shot from rookie- hall of fame....

Mosgov shouldn't be hitting pull up jumpers from rookie to hall of fame

My teammates shouldn't be dumbed down for the sake of difficulty...

I think we can maintain these principles without making the CPU complete pushovers right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-12-2015, 08:27 AM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 0

I don't mind if the AI gets a progressive increase in reaction time from Rookie to HoF. That's fine, makes it more challenging to play.

I don't mind if the AI gets increased defensive awareness and defensive abilities, that's fine. So they'll make less mistakes on defense. That's great, I like a challenge.

I still don't mind if the AI gets increase offensive awareness, that's also fine. I like my defense to be challenged. I want the AI to be capable of punishing me on any given occasion if I slip up on defense.

What I don't want to see is cheese. The things I mentioned in the OP falls under cheese and shouldn't be a given for the highest difficulty of the game.

Also, in past 2Ks I believe the AI on HoF got boosts on physical and skill attributes. That is a no no, IMO. They should only have an advantage on mental attributes. Otherwise it's easy to end up with overpowering AI that makes tough shots with any player, or players who are not that good suddenly play like HoF 1st class players.

I like my skill to be challenged, not my knowledge of how to counter the cheese, which is what people seem to suggest when it comes to HoF.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:28 AM   #11
MVP

OVR: 4

Yeah I wish one day we can have CPU become smarter as the difficulty goes up but tech is not there yet. So they have to implement these type of tactics for the CPU can compete.

They could never iron out all the bs, CPU could but compete. If our teammates wasn't on rookie the CPU wouldnt score a point. It's not even the challenge that causes me to rage. Its the 50/50 balls that turn into 10/90 balls. Higher clip of passes flying through bodies, and not being rewarded when running great offense/defense.

It becomes the animation/glitch/cheese difficulty. That's what i meant by playing smart bball will not bring you tons of success in hof. You have to have knowledge about animation triggers. Now it's not normal pick and roll, its can I trigger this bump to get a clear shot.

Buts that's the reason I stop playing hof. And as long as my career needs the user to put up insane amounts of points, asst, reb, etc

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-12-2015, 08:43 AM   #12
Rookie

Kese86's Arena

Since the complaints about HOF cheese seem to be falling on deaf ears, I propose just removing HOF difficulty from the game period and making the highest difficulty whatever the devs tuned the game to. This is a basketball sim so there should be no cheesy difficulty level as if it were NBA Jam or NBA Street. The highest difficulty should be whatever is closest to mirroring real NBA basketball. Why put a setting in a game based on reality that has so many unrealistic things happening?
Old 10-12-2015, 09:04 AM   #13
Banned

Just don't play it. Doesn't need to be removed. Nothing to prove against that AI, I don't understand that mentality.

Most realistic way to play offline is through managing the team and swimming games r watch/coach. There is no difficulty, just numbers.

User v. User is the only place one should ever need to prove oneself. Playing the AI is about finding a balance of difficulty and realism, and playing within those boundaries.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
Old 10-12-2015, 09:13 AM   #14
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

You scored 79 points in the paint. I would really like to see game play footage.

To anyone who has success on Super star or HOF I would love to see video. Just want to see the types of offenses ran. Also how D is played.

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Old 10-12-2015, 09:24 AM   #15
All Star

Gosens6's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
Here's my question, does it have to be?

Like, do we have to break the rules of the game to increase difficulty?

I get annoyed when people say "the AI's intelligence should just increase as you raise the difficulty.....because that's way easier said than done.

BUT, with the leap the AI took this year I hope we are headed more in that direction.

A heavily contested shot should be a heavily contested shot from rookie- hall of fame....

Mosgov shouldn't be hitting pull up jumpers from rookie to hall of fame

My teammates shouldn't be dumbed down for the sake of difficulty...

I think we can maintain these principles without making the CPU complete pushovers right?

Then what's the point of even having a difficulty level? What's the point of having sliders?

Difficulty levels are necessary. Especially for first time players of this game, or older people and children who aren't very good at this game.

They have to play on rookie or pro and have an unfair advantage against the CPU to either win or get better at the game. If each level played fundamental, sim basketball, there would be no need for any difficulty. People would get frustrated always loosing, not knowing what to do.

It the same reason people need HOF difficulty. Some people like the hardest challenge, some people need it. If you want a hard challenge, but still keeping some sort of realism, play on superstar, adjust sliders to make it harder if you like.

But if you go to THE hardest difficulty, you're sacrificing realism and that's in EVERY sports game. It's the reason they have "special" names like hall of fame, all madden, legend, etc.

They aren't meant to play sim, they're meant to challenge you, and challenge you like you've never been challenged before. That's the point of the level, people cannot expect realism.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-12-2015, 10:30 AM   #16
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosens6
Then what's the point of even having a difficulty level? What's the point of having sliders?

Difficulty levels are necessary. Especially for first time players of this game, or older people and children who aren't very good at this game.

They have to play on rookie or pro and have an unfair advantage against the CPU to either win or get better at the game. If each level played fundamental, sim basketball, there would be no need for any difficulty. People would get frustrated always loosing, not knowing what to do.

It the same reason people need HOF difficulty. Some people like the hardest challenge, some people need it. If you want a hard challenge, but still keeping some sort of realism, play on superstar, adjust sliders to make it harder if you like.

But if you go to THE hardest difficulty, you're sacrificing realism and that's in EVERY sports game. It's the reason they have "special" names like hall of fame, all madden, legend, etc.

They aren't meant to play sim, they're meant to challenge you, and challenge you like you've never been challenged before. That's the point of the level, people cannot expect realism.

Oh I get that....and I agree with your original comment.....it was just a side note. I just don't think some things shouldn't be compromised regardless of difficulty....I get HOF and its design....but you see a lot of wonky things on superstar as well..

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »