Home

Problems with HoF cheese

This is a discussion on Problems with HoF cheese within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-11-2015, 11:12 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Problems with HoF cheese

I'm playing MyCareer on HoF and the cheeese in infuriating. While I'm making smart plays leading to high FG%, while defending very well (still somehow they have 50% shooting), and managed to carve out a 20+ points lead.

Comes the 4th quarter and all of a sudden everyone on my team can't make shots, while CPU makes pretty much all shots contested or not. Which leads them to close the gap and win the game.

So I want to point out a few issues.
  • CPU makes too many contested shots and layups on HoF. SS doesn't suffer from this problem as much. Still, it's not fun to see your defensive efforts mean nothing, while on the other end, you can't make open B+ shots all game.
    • One consequence of this is that all games played on HoF are very high scoring. My team have to score around 130 points a game to have a chance of winning at all.
    • Another consequence of this is that rebounds suffer since there are so few missed shots. Just switching to Super Star allows me to get over 10 defensive rebounds a game easy, while on HoF I struggle to get more than 5.
  • Hot/cold or the momentum system makes no sense. How can you be hot 3 quarters long, and all of a sudden can't make open shots in the 4th? That doesn't happen IRL that often. Look at GSW, when they have a 20 point lead on you before the 4th, they'll run you out of their gym in the 4th. Actually, look at any competent teams, they'll do the same.
  • Defensive pressure from teammates seem weaker compared to SS. There's more silly mistakes, bad judgement and bad rotations, which is weird. They should be playing tighter, better, since it's HoF. If the CPU can do it, why can't my teammates? Also, again, too many contested makes, leading to sky high FG% even though we play good defense most of the time. I can't imagine how much better D we have to play to make them shoot <40% like IRL.
  • 4th quarter needs tweaking. Again, it's not realistic to be hot and playing well all game and all of a sudden open shots don't fall. When you're hot and you keep getting good looks, you stay hot. It's that simple. I understand the want to keep the game challenging, but honestly there aren't enough blow outs in the game. If a team has a bad night defensively and aren't on par with the opponent offensively, a blow out is the result most of the time.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-11-2015, 11:42 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 4
Re: Problems with HoF cheese

Once you figure out that HOF is not about playing smart basketball you will succeed.
Old 10-11-2015, 11:44 PM   #3
MVP

Jrocc23's Arena

OVR: 6
Problems with HoF cheese

Once you make a thread sort of like this, you'll just get mostly responses like above assuming they know how you play the game. Best thing to do is just post and hopefully a dev look into it. You do have some guys that give respectful advice.

I am not sure I can agree with the game you pointed out but I agree with the first issue you listed 1000%.

The first thing you pointed out is very accurate but I am on SS-Sim. So I know it has to be crazy on HOF-Sim. The CPU makes almost all of their contested layups. I can understand Bron, Harden and superstars, but it's all types of players. And it's not just the opposing CPU, but your teammates also do the same. And ones also go in at a high rate. The thing that kills me the most is if you contest it well and they just so happen to miss, it's a foul. The fouls on here needs a lot of work for 2K17. At least add some more defensive animations that's not some flagrant looking fouls. I can go in on fouls all day. All around the paint area still needs work.

Middies still go in like crazy for the CPU players. Teammate and opposing CPU players. I mean you can be all in their face and it's good lol. I know Mike said he tweaked it, but it doesn't seem to have affected the CPU.

NBA 2K11
XtremeXplicit Crew
Ranked

Check us out: http://www.youtube.com/jroccdagameboy
Old 10-12-2015, 12:45 AM   #4
Rookie

jackzagal's Arena

Man, after seeing the OP, I don't regret not even trying HoF/Sim this year. +0.5 multiplier to earn a bit more VC per game isn't really worth it to me. Looks like they didn't cut all the cheese, after all
Old 10-12-2015, 12:53 AM   #5
Rookie

I'm playing for the Pelicans in Year 2. We started out going 8-15, but now we're 12-16 since i stopped trying to force things after I or my teammates make a mistake. I'll now wait for the game to come to me and I'll only take open shots. It's lead to a high FG% of 70 for me but at least we have a chance of winning now and we blew out the Wizards and Suns in back to back games.

For Defence, I'll run straight to the paint to stop them easy fastbreak layups then guard my matchup. I will refuse to switch and will only help out for a drive to the basket if they can't get a clean pass to my guy.

My games are usually low scoring for 2K. Highest game has been us winning 117-105
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-12-2015, 02:35 AM   #6
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

OVR: 4

To the OP: is your HoF experience based on My Career? How extensive is your HoF experience in 2k16?

I enjoy HoF with modified sliders, the default sliders are not as friendly as they were in 2k15.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk
Old 10-12-2015, 03:05 AM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzsomehanz
To the OP: is your HoF experience based on My Career? How extensive is your HoF experience in 2k16?

I enjoy HoF with modified sliders, the default sliders are not as friendly as they were in 2k15.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk
I mostly play in MC. 5v5 the problems aren't as announced unless you play with preferred position, since you can switch to the defender, which helps a lot.
Old 10-12-2015, 07:59 AM   #8
All Star

Gosens6's Arena

OVR: 26

This is what the hall of fame difficulty was intended to do, give the CPU an unfair advantage so you have the absolute hardest challenge, even if that means sacrificing realism for challenge.

The devs have said this for YEARS and people still play on hall of fame and expect not to be cheated by the AI and get realistic, sim ball. Hardest doesn't always equal realism. It boggles my mind how people don't get this yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »