Home

Why are passes so protected?

This is a discussion on Why are passes so protected? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-27-2015, 02:24 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 3

This is what being active in passing lanes looks like. High hands on passes, redirecting angles, tips and steals

One of the reasons 2k's defense is so forgiving is because the passes are largely tethered to the receiver. This allows them to zip and whiz around the court while accelerating the receiver from time to time. Im sure that's something that might be difficult to eliminate totally from a technical stand point, but what i dont understand is why that issue is compounded by clueless and passive passing lane defense.

I can be lurking in the passing lanes with a known thief, time it, and get "rewarded" with an awkward steal attempt that looks more like my defender is playing dodge ball trying to avoid contact with the ball. Sure, i shouldn't always get the steal, but tipping a pass coming directly at a person takes minimal hand-eye coordination. RE...WARD... ME.

My teammates could seemingly care less if the ball is within reach when swung around the perimeter, they turn a blind-eye and ignore the strategic position they are put in. Immediately after patch 4 it seemed as if this was vastly improved, but i was told to go to the main menu for an update in the days following and it had reverted.

On top of that, passes are protected even further with the "contest pass" (right stick away) function doing absolutely nothing. Its an important tool defending entry passes and pick and pop plays. I dont remember this being the case upon release, but as it is now, the input gets no reaction and relying on the steal button can result in unwanted reaching fouls. So my teammates dont have hands in the passing lane, and

In short, the offense can freely swing the ball around and the defense, no matter how well positioned, is at its mercy. Why is that? I personally always turn up 'play passing lanes' and the steal rating. Why do so many of the members of the community seem to be against tipped passes?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-27-2015, 02:36 PM   #2
Lockdown Defender

Rockie_Fresh88's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: Why are passes so protected?

The CPU steals them pretty good
#1 Laker fan
First Team Defense !!!
Old 12-27-2015, 02:39 PM   #3
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

OVR: 0

Actually, I don't know too many people who are against it. Personally, I agree. I find it kinda annoying how some people can whip passes around hazardously, but the ball rarely gets tipped or stolen. I don't mind good ball movement, but I do think the game is too forgiving on cross court passes.
Old 12-27-2015, 02:47 PM   #4
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockie_Fresh88
The CPU steals them pretty good
They have a few moments, but IMO no where near as proficient as they or my teammates should be.
Old 12-27-2015, 03:47 PM   #5
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76
Actually, I don't know too many people who are against it. Personally, I agree. I find it kinda annoying how some people can whip passes around hazardously, but the ball rarely gets tipped or stolen. I don't mind good ball movement, but I do think the game is too forgiving on cross court passes.
from what ive seen, since 2k11 when they tighten up the passing lane defense there is some negative murmuring and it gets very forgiving.
example:

Quote:
This is probably the biggest issue I've had with the game so far. There are CONSTANTLY passes being stolen by the AI, often when it just shouldn't happen. I could have a player open by a few feet and the pass will be made toward the defense and knocked away. I've tried tweaking the "Play Passing Lanes" slider and it didn't seem to do anything. I've seen a few comments on this problem. Anyone know a tweak for this?
Quote:
It's definitely excessive, but you just have to change your game unfortunately.
Quote:
... a few minutes ago: PG pass from top to the SG on the wing, C back screens for PG, SG passes to the cutter, and his defender steals it like it's nothing. I've had issues with this since 2K11.
Not the high post...the man wants to pass from the three point line to a backdoor in the paint for goodness sakes lol....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-27-2015, 04:04 PM   #6
MVP

stillfeelme's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2_headedmonster
They have a few moments, but IMO no where near as proficient as they or my teammates should be.
The question to why passes are protected?

They do this to control certain aspects of the game to make the game more difficult and to keep turnovers within a certain amount. It shouldn't be like this but that is the way they programmed the game.

The game almost penalizes you for playing the passing lanes against the CPU. Where the real problem is the passing into the paint is way, way too easy.
Old 12-27-2015, 04:08 PM   #7
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

I remember back in the earlier 2k's it was super responsive...2K4 was the worst, you literally couldn't complete a damn pass vs. the Pistons....I think the quickness of response should be determined by ratings..

Last edited by The 24th Letter; 12-27-2015 at 04:36 PM.
Old 12-27-2015, 05:58 PM   #8
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
I remember back in the earlier 2k's it was super responsive...2K4 was the worst, you literally couldn't complete a damn pass vs. the Pistons....I think the quickness of response should be determined by ratings..
I agree. There's a reacting rating and it should be put to use. There's a reason certain passes aren't made around certain players.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »