Home

The Computer Is Too Stupid To Do Simple Basketball

This is a discussion on The Computer Is Too Stupid To Do Simple Basketball within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-04-2016, 10:17 AM   #9
All Star

TarHeelPhenom's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: The Computer Is Too Stupid To Do Simple Basketball

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidertiger
It's the movement system. It's so fake that you can't take one step without taking 3. That's why players don't step into a 3 point shot, and instead take a dumb deep 2.

You wanna see a player step into a 3? I recommend you go to the roster section and check out Yellz video on the SimWorld Experience thread.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:58 AM   #10
MVP

ViolenceFight's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidertiger
It's the movement system. It's so fake that you can't take one step without taking 3. That's why players don't step into a 3 point shot, and instead take a dumb deep 2.
...partially this. It's close because they are still trying to get the lead passes correct. That's hard to balance. Pre patch 2 the logic on lead passes would pull players in awkward directions. They changed it to funnel towards the rim in most cut situations, but this leads to what you see with the step in shots or wide open guys that step into the crowded paint when you just want a mid range.

The movement system this year gets blamed a lot for certain things, but it's 50/50 right now between user error and the system. Sometimes it's completely the systems fault. Sometimes the user isn't letting go of Turbo or the direction on the LS quick enough and gets the extra step. I've slowly been getting it down more and more, but I can't explain my method because it's more about "feeling" than an actual measurement.

I know where I want to stop, so I "feel" like I need to release at a certain point. There's a lot of animations for simple things such as pull ups, and pass reception and each one operates on a case by case basis. Animation 1 may require you to let go a half second earlier than animation 2. Animation 3 may require you to feather the stick the opposite direction in some situations, and animation 4 might just stop on a dime.

In a lot of ways this is very realistic. And of course that's the moral of this entire year (Versatile, you might want to pay attention, because this is going to deal with the subtle jabs you keep throwing and explain why this place is so divided this year):

The game is one of the most realistic games being made sports wise. With that comes thousands of situations. With that comes thousands of situational animations and code that deals with those animations. There's a ton of adaptation required with all this stuff this year. Every single human adapts at a different pace. The reason some people say the game is fine, is because their brain has adapted to the changes quicker, and as such they have figured out little things to get the game to do what they want. The opposite is true for some people that say it's broken.

Neither side is wrong, it's perspective. And it's hard: I can't objectively quantify what I do in every instance for every situation. It's decisions and movements made subconsciously at this point(I.E.: Playing by "feel"). I still make plenty of wrong guesses, and I still call BS all the time on a lot of things. The difference becomes that I will try every single option, multiple times, for every situation before flat out saying something doesn't work, or is "broken".

If you need proof, look at the Curry thread: Half of the people think he's either hard to use like real life, or isn't as good as he should be. The other half are monsters or absolutely terrified to be left in a 1 on 1 ISO situation with him. The answer must be somewhere in between. In his case, no, he's not banging 30 footers of a step back in 2 guys faces in game, but if you give him any daylight he will make you pay. It's not real life Curry, But able damned if he's still not one of the most dangerous guys in the game.

I WANT people to get better. I WANT good competition. I do not like playing park and being able to put up insane stat lines ( 6 6 7 3 2 3? Seriously, how am I out rebounding, assisting, defending, and scoring an entire team as a guard?). When someone says "Defense is broken", or "Dribbles don't work right", I don't go in looking to gloat or tell someone they are stupid for not figuring it out. I'm saying it to let them know it's working, and they need to try a new approach this year because I NEED them to get better. I WANT every single possession to be a struggle, I WANT to have to bust my *** and use every single move in my repertoire to win a game. Hard fought victories help you get better. They promote critical thinking and bring out skills you didn't realize you had. The human chess match that happens after you've both exhausted your "Go to" moves and plays, when you're trying to out play and think a guy by doing tactics you're not comfortable with is my heroin. That's the competition that feels better than any drug or vice can make me feel. That's when you truly get to see inside the mind of another person, and gain respect for them. It's the same feeling after 2 evenly matched fighters go at it. The exhilaration of not knowing who's going to win, knowing someone HAS to win, and dancing on the razor thin wire of trying to do it.

/Rant

PSN: ViolenceFight
Instagram: @ViolenceFight
Old 01-04-2016, 12:45 PM   #11
Pro

OVR: 0

I don't know what game you've been playing but this game isn't really realistic, on scale from 1 to 10 i'd give it 6 for realism. 2k14 old gen was much more realistic game gameplay wise, don't account graphics into conversation. This game just feels unresponsive, runs are so generic and artificial, fouling system is ridiculous.

People are obviously amazed by graphics that they completely ignore some of the obvious game breaking flaws here, i'm happy that you think game is realistic and find a way to enjoy it, for me personally gameplay is way behind 2k14 & 13.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkHI1hGvWRY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v6JUzxWoGw
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-04-2016, 01:15 PM   #12
MVP

ViolenceFight's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyClaxton
I don't know what game you've been playing but this game isn't really realistic, on scale from 1 to 10 i'd give it 6 for realism. 2k14 old gen was much more realistic game gameplay wise, don't account graphics into conversation. This game just feels unresponsive, runs are so generic and artificial, fouling system is ridiculous.

People are obviously amazed by graphics that they completely ignore some of the obvious game breaking flaws here, i'm happy that you think game is realistic and find a way to enjoy it, for me personally gameplay is way behind 2k14 & 13.
Responsiveness is entirely in the momentum system. The runs are wonky, yes, but that's existed since 2k13 (and you're looking through nostalgia goggles if you don't think so, since the 3rd quater comeback has been a complaint for years), also, I don't care about graphics at all, do that point is moot. I'll agree with fouls.

I see some of the issues, but to hold up 2k13 as better gameplay wise while you literally had little to no defensive interaction is purely nostalgia factor. 2k14 last gen was fantastic in almost all ways, except defense, which 2k16 is currently king of. I will give you almost all other aspects of ps3 2k14 though, as I feel the same.

PSN: ViolenceFight
Instagram: @ViolenceFight
Old 01-04-2016, 02:07 PM   #13
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolenceFight
Responsiveness is entirely in the momentum system. The runs are wonky, yes, but that's existed since 2k13 (and you're looking through nostalgia goggles if you don't think so, since the 3rd quater comeback has been a complaint for years), also, I don't care about graphics at all, do that point is moot. I'll agree with fouls.

I see some of the issues, but to hold up 2k13 as better gameplay wise while you literally had little to no defensive interaction is purely nostalgia factor. 2k14 last gen was fantastic in almost all ways, except defense, which 2k16 is currently king of. I will give you almost all other aspects of ps3 2k14 though, as I feel the same.
Well instead to add good defense on already great 2K14 gameplay they switched it up and messed up, i swear 2K always go 2 steps forward and 4 backwards..

Old 01-08-2016, 12:10 AM   #14
Rookie

CoachDavid's Arena

OVR: 2

Writing code is hard. If you verbally control every players, both know where the ball is, where the defender is, where the ref is, how to walk, run, how fast. also each player is blind.

And believe me that might be easier than what the developers at 2k do. The computer is dumb and the devs have to think of every scenario in order to make you feel like your playing basketball.

That said. Some things are easier than others, and they still have to convince you they AI is playing ball.

I have gripes when I play the game, but mostly when the Devs try to be too clever. The turn overs when a dribbler dribbles the ball into other players. That is a choice to add more realistic ball physics. The problem is the AI dribbler has no awareness about theses limbs. Real players seldom dribble off people. If the awareness is not a solvlable problem them back off the ball physics.

The game is suppose to be challenging but fun. Ten turn overs because a play goes out of bounds of dribbles backwards near half court, or your player doing an Allen Iverson crossover when you are just going from left to right attempting to use a ball screen. Passes to the post where your passer throws a bullet pass to your center who is being fronted by a 5 11 point guard.

Other choices, missed layups on a second night of a back to back...wide open layups.

I know it's hard but the game should be fun, not frustrating. I should not have to play online to be on a level field. I don't enjoy playing with anonymous faces. Rather play with those I know. Also not important for me to compete, well every since they went to the pay for a good player model.
Old 01-08-2016, 12:44 AM   #15
MVP

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolenceFight

Last gen 2k14 was the product of years of improvements to a solid base. I loved it. Defense as well... It was and still is extremely underrated.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-08-2016, 09:52 AM   #16
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2_headedmonster
Last gen 2k14 was the product of years of improvements to a solid base. I loved it. Defense as well... It was and still is extremely underrated.
Last gen 2K14 was perfect for me and my friends, we had a lots of fun playing it day and night. We witnessed few unbeliveable comebacks, big blowouts and everything in between, but for me difference between 2k14 (Last gen) and this is that back then everything felt more organic, more responsive. If i made mistake i was completely aware that i made mistake and turned the ball over. Here on 2k16 i going completely insane when my player passes the ball straight into opponent's hands for a turnover then opposing team goes on a big run, everything seems and looks so scripted and fixed, that's my biggest issue with this game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »