Home

Full court passing and turbo spamming killed this year's game.

This is a discussion on Full court passing and turbo spamming killed this year's game. within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-29-2016, 10:11 PM   #65
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Full court passing and turbo spamming killed this year's game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDuggler
We have very different ideas of what a trade-off is.

Having to constantly babysit my CPU defenders so that they function at the middle school level doesn't really have a benefit for me.

With a half-court press I am just going to get turbo'd to the rim on every play, I won't get a chance to settle into any sort of actual defensive set
This is the crux of the issue. People are well meaning when they offer these adjustments/solutions that can ameliorate some of the flaws, but the bottom line is that defenders aren't coded to have a solid "understanding" of 94 by 50 anticipatory defense.

Breakdowns should occur due to variable ratings, skills, coaching, fatigue, offensive execution, and the like, but not a core design flaw in how defense is played.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-30-2016, 12:52 AM   #66
MVP

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by de_jesus
Not sure I understand what you mean. You can't guard the paint and the perimeter with the same player. If you want your big to stop the walk-up 3-pt cheese then he has to be on the perimeter, which prevents him from guarding the paint, right? Otherwise, you're asking your perimeter players to guard two guys while your big guards the paint to try to prevent a break to the basket.

You can't do both, which is why I said trade-off. Since they removed 1-3-1, your only other option is to use a zone defense (2 - 3 zone is the only one I use in transition before switching to man).

Unless, I completely don't understand what you're driving at.
i think what he's getting at is that any level above middle school a defender can be aware of his assignment without drifting to the freethrow line. Its not really a matter of give or take, but basic awareness.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:52 AM   #67
MVP

Hustle Westbrook's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by de_jesus
Switch to Half-Court Press when playing a stretch 4/5 team. Eliminates your big from playing under the basket for too long or guarding the crowd. Once you've settled into your defense switch back to man to man. It's the only way I've found to make your big prioritize the big man walking up the court, but it will leave the paint open. Trade-offs.
A press? That's even worse. That might work against the CPU but any competent cheeser online is just going to throw a half court inbound pass past all of your players and have an easy lane to the bucket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDuggler
The issue is the CPU teamates being really really bad in transition (and during all possession swaps tbh), how many times has a shooting PF just walked up the court after an inbound and their defender is no where to be found?

I enjoy having to control all 5 players to win, but I can't babysit everyone.

This is just stupid. It's either you're guarding the paint against a turbo cheeser or you have to worry about the inbounder being left wide open for a trailing three. I'm pretty much convinced now that the devs didn't have enough time to properly program the defense in this game so they left us with this half finished product.

Last edited by Hustle Westbrook; 03-30-2016 at 01:02 AM.
Old 03-30-2016, 01:02 AM   #68
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
This is the crux of the issue. People are well meaning when they offer these adjustments/solutions that can ameliorate some of the flaws, but the bottom line is that defenders aren't coded to have a solid "understanding" of 94 by 50 anticipatory defense.

Breakdowns should occur due to variable ratings, skills, coaching, fatigue, offensive execution, and the like, but not a core design flaw in how defense is played.
Ok, now I understand and agree with him.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:24 AM   #69
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustle Westbrook
This is just stupid. It's either you're guarding the paint against a turbo cheeser or you have to worry about the inbounder being left wide open for a trailing three. I'm pretty much convinced now that the devs didn't have enough time to properly program the defense in this game so they left us with this half finished product.
It's like the CPU defender can't acknowledge the offensive player until they are X feet away from them.

Edit: Tested this. The defender who guards the man inbounding is completely incapable of guarding him:

Last edited by A6_Foul_Out; 03-30-2016 at 09:08 AM.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:21 PM   #70
MVP

HowDareI's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by A6_Foul_Out
It's like the CPU defender can't acknowledge the offensive player until they are X feet away from them.

Edit: Tested this. The defender who guards the man inbounding is completely incapable of guarding him:

And you know what makes problems like this one even worse??

It actually benefits offball users and hurts guys who like the challenge of onball d.

We all know most cheesers aren't actually good, so they offball on whoever's not a threat (inbounder) and stuff like that never happens for me.
Yet since I'm locking up the guard, a pf or c will come flying out of nowhere for a wide open shot or dunk while his matchup decides to float around looking for a double team.

I noticed too, sometimes you can even sag off a bad shooter (daring them to take a jumper) and a cpu defender on your team will see it as them not being covered and come over to take your spot.

-Allen Iverson
Old 03-30-2016, 01:17 PM   #71
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowDareI
And you know what makes problems like this one even worse??

It actually benefits offball users and hurts guys who like the challenge of onball d.

We all know most cheesers aren't actually good, so they offball on whoever's not a threat (inbounder) and stuff like that never happens for me.
Yet since I'm locking up the guard, a pf or c will come flying out of nowhere for a wide open shot or dunk while his matchup decides to float around looking for a double team.

I noticed too, sometimes you can even sag off a bad shooter (daring them to take a jumper) and a cpu defender on your team will see it as them not being covered and come over to take your spot.
That's one thing I real hope they fix. Is controlling which defender is going to rotate on a defensive breakdown. Or if a defender comes at all. We should be able to control every aspect of help defense. Rotate off of option stop working after one of the patches. In my online league players don't even try scoring in the paint (because it's a little harder on sim). They just run double pick and roll and then wait for the CPU to rotate over even though I've sagged off and just gone under the picks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-30-2016, 02:28 PM   #72
Banned

The full court passing is a joke this year .. and destroys the fun

We even cant Defend that lol

I had some games where i and my oponnent did that all the time

Easy score....

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »