Home

Is 2k starting to feel a little dated to anyone else?

This is a discussion on Is 2k starting to feel a little dated to anyone else? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-27-2016, 11:02 AM   #17
Pro

OVR: 2
Re: Is 2k starting to feel a little dated to anyone else?

Player responsiveness has taken a step back. I thought they could really improve in this area compared to last gen...
I really wish they just focus on the basic fundamentals. I could care less about new modes...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-27-2016, 12:49 PM   #18
Rookie

twebb5896's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhein77
Player responsiveness has taken a step back. I thought they could really improve in this area compared to last gen...
I really wish they just focus on the basic fundamentals. I could care less about new modes...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly those new modes don't mean jack-diddly if there isn't a solid fundamentall game play system behind it.
Old 06-27-2016, 12:55 PM   #19
Pro

this is a serious question of mines..

is there a way to improve player responsiveness but still keep the "weighty-ness" of players?

i like that the players feel like they have a weight to them and it matters. but do you guys think there is a way both sides can be happy?

say its correlates with the players weight. the lighter you are, the quicker the player responsiveness. the heavier you are the slower the responsiveness is but you'd win more boxout battles, finish though contact easier?

it feels like 2k is almost there but just needs a few tweaks - but im pretty biased. been playing 2k since dreamcast when you had to glitch Allen Iversons arm band on your created player lol
Old 06-27-2016, 12:58 PM   #20
Rookie

twebb5896's Arena

I've played one pro-am game over the past 3 weeks. To me stale is an understatement.

-Playing against the same type of players at the park/pro-am gets old really fast, even when I'm winning

-MyCareer is boring and repetitive because of the storyline but also because of the attribute groups and lack of custom jumpshots.

- The gameplay itself is sluggish, and in a lot of ways it neutralizes a lot of the advantages the more skilled players have

-On any given possession I feel like I'm in control of my player 60-70% of the time, the rest I'm in animations getting thrown around like a rag doll while 2k ignores my button inputs.

- AUTO HESITATION

I've all but put this game down, I think at this point if I wasn't creating content I would have made a trade-in. I really hope this stuff is fixed next year as I'm very loyal to 2k, but this is the first year I've ever put it down.
Old 06-28-2016, 04:19 AM   #21
Rookie

basketball444's Arena

OVR: 1

I've been playing 2k for a while now and ever since VC was introduced i feel like the effort has shifted over to creating more modes that require VC spending rather than focusing on fundamental game play. I still have no idea what these card packs are all about and I've been playing since 2k8.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-28-2016, 07:14 AM   #22
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

2K still feels like 2K. That's not a bad thing, necessarily. AS a series 2K has never represented explosiveness/first steps well. They just haven't. That, coupled with the "stickem" defense and some of the longer animation sequences made the game feel sludgy. The game has progressed tremendously but there is still trademark 2K feel. And it has regressed in some areas. The players feel heavier, too big (bulky and player/court ratio) and just less explosive overall. Shooting feels slow and clunky. It just isn't smooth. Plus the ball feels like it has lead in it. 2K11 had this aspect perfect!
Old 06-28-2016, 11:31 AM   #23
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachcolbert
this is a serious question of mines..

is there a way to improve player responsiveness but still keep the "weighty-ness" of players?

i like that the players feel like they have a weight to them and it matters. but do you guys think there is a way both sides can be happy?

say its correlates with the players weight. the lighter you are, the quicker the player responsiveness. the heavier you are the slower the responsiveness is but you'd win more boxout battles, finish though contact easier?

it feels like 2k is almost there but just needs a few tweaks - but im pretty biased. been playing 2k since dreamcast when you had to glitch Allen Iversons arm band on your created player lol
It's a very delicate balance to walk. If guys don't feel weighty enough, then they cease to feel like real people anymore. Madden did this years ago under the pretense that they were "improving control responsiveness." What this actually meant, however, was that they eliminated weight/momentum and players could make full-speed, 90-degree turns on a dime. It didn't even feel like they were attached to the field anymore. It felt more like they were floating and not bound to any laws of physics. I don't want this to happen in 2K.

However, if you go too far in the other direction, the game can feel too sluggish. I think 2K is close to the sweet spot, but is too far in the sluggish direction right now. Sometimes it feels like I'm playing basketball in a muddy field. Plenty of players feel fast, but you don't feel very explosive most of the time.

I'm not sure how you correct this exactly, but my suggestion would be to improve first-step explosiveness out of triple-threat and defensive stance positions, especially for athletic players. These situations are when the game feels most sluggish. A quick player with a live dribble should be a terrifying prospect for a defender. On the flip side, a good defender, in good defensive position, bouncing on the balls of his feet and ready to react to the offensive player should be a daunting challenge to beat. It's in these situations, in real life, where you are most able to change direction and explode from a standstill to full speed. However, this doesn't feel like the case in 2K.

The normal running feels very good in this game. There's a difference in overall speed between fast guards and slow big men, and while you still have control over your player, it's also much more difficult to change directions, which feels very appropriate. If they would tweak the triple-threat and defensive stance locomotion to allow for more explosiveness from athletic players, I think this would bring the game even closer to that sweet spot.
Old 06-28-2016, 11:37 AM   #24
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior Moe
2K still feels like 2K. That's not a bad thing, necessarily. AS a series 2K has never represented explosiveness/first steps well. They just haven't. That, coupled with the "stickem" defense and some of the longer animation sequences made the game feel sludgy. The game has progressed tremendously but there is still trademark 2K feel. And it has regressed in some areas. The players feel heavier, too big (bulky and player/court ratio) and just less explosive overall. Shooting feels slow and clunky. It just isn't smooth. Plus the ball feels like it has lead in it. 2K11 had this aspect perfect!
I think this is a fair assessment. Still an outstanding experience and of course every year the game feel fresh initially, but that kind of goes away. I still am enjoying the crap out of 2k16.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »