Home

Shooting success dependent on score of the game?

This is a discussion on Shooting success dependent on score of the game? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-06-2016, 08:00 PM   #25
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38
Re: Shooting success dependent on score of the game?

I believe there is a mometeum system....and you can ride that wave both ways...sucks when you're on the wrong side.

but I never been on board with the idea that game just turns against you because you're up and forces you to fail. Ive played entirely too many PNO games to cosign that. I blow out my opponents, have had close games, been blown out...all of the above.

Against the CPU, their behaivior is pretty predictable. If you're up big, in the second half like clockwork they start pressing everything, playing everyone tight...so of your expecting what you did in the first half to automatically translate....thats where I see a lot of frustration kick in...thats my take on it anyway...

Last edited by The 24th Letter; 08-06-2016 at 08:03 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2016, 08:15 PM   #26
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
I believe there is a mometeum system....and you can ride that wave both ways...sucks when you're on the wrong side.

but I never been on board with the idea that game just turns against you because you're up and forces you to fail. Ive played entirely too many PNO games to cosign that. I blow out my opponents, have had close games, been blown out...all of the above.

Against the CPU, their behaivior is pretty predictable. If you're up big, in the second half like clockwork they start pressing everything, playing everyone tight...so of your expecting what you did in the first half to automatically translate....thats where I see a lot of frustration kick in...thats my take on it anyway...
if you dont play the MyTeam mode, I can see how you'd come to this conclusion. Teams are pretty evenly matched up in Play Now. I actually played 20+ games of that mode after MyTeam pissed me off and I've only lost 1 game in that mode. I completely understand any cynicism towards the idea of 2K screwing you...........but in MyTeam tho....

The whole problem is 2K trying to level the playing field for guys that don't have gaudy(read Godly) teams. Just today i played a guy that had a pretty good starting lineup team but his bench was pretty laughable. basically reward amethyst players that nobody uses bc they are just so limited. and I bs you not, all of my guys with 94+ rated 3-balls missed every. single. wide. open. shot. 98-rated Kyrie Irving missed layups while his bench players made contested ones......and it happened all half. Now, you could easily say...."why didn't you call time out??" I did. 3 times. Some games, 2K literally wants you to have to claw your way back into a game when you have a good team and sometimes it's just not even worth it. This is what pisses half of the community off.
Old 08-06-2016, 08:17 PM   #27
Pro

Cowboyfan_19's Arena

3rd & final update: I lost to a guy in NBA division in Play Now using the '87 Lakers & I was the vintage '65 Celtics.

Got up 32-23 or something with 3 minutes in the half, and before you know it, he mounts a comeback quicker than lightning. Magic Johnson went 4 for 5 from three point territory & started making every perfectly contested/contact layup. My Havlochek & Sam Jones went ice cold, maybe hitting a combined 1 out of 6 EASY mid-range/3 point range shots......ALL happening with 3 minutes to go in the 2nd quarter. So once he tied it at 35 or something, it was a back and forth showdown, that I eventually lost in double overtime. It's frustrating that every wild turbo to the basket ends up bailing them out in some form or another, and that my motion, screen setting offense results in bricks against basic man D.

Call it what you want, but I do believe there are side factors causing a lot of this crap to happen, like others have said, maybe it's the badges? Maybe it's the road/away natural momentum (which is believable).

All I'm hoping for is that the momentum is toned down to at least half in 2k17 compared to what it is now. If we can get that, then we'll have ourselves a great basketball simulator.
Old 08-06-2016, 08:22 PM   #28
Pro

Cowboyfan_19's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by phriscaul
if you dont play the MyTeam mode, I can see how you'd come to this conclusion. Teams are pretty evenly matched up in Play Now. I actually played 20+ games of that mode after MyTeam pissed me off and I've only lost 1 game in that mode. I completely understand any cynicism towards the idea of 2K screwing you...........but in MyTeam tho....

The whole problem is 2K trying to level the playing field for guys that don't have gaudy(read Godly) teams. Just today i played a guy that had a pretty good starting lineup team but his bench was pretty laughable. basically reward amethyst players that nobody uses bc they are just so limited. and I bs you not, all of my guys with 94+ rated 3-balls missed every. single. wide. open. shot. 98-rated Kyrie Irving missed layups while his bench players made contested ones......and it happened all half. Now, you could easily say...."why didn't you call time out??" I did. 3 times. Some games, 2K literally wants you to have to claw your way back into a game when you have a good team and sometimes it's just not even worth it. This is what pisses half of the community off.
There are times when you'll face someone in the 4th seed, and if that's the case, they are playing at a lower difficulty than you. 4th seeders have a 1.25 difficulty multiplier, and the others have a 1.5 multiplier. Normally, I'd come to the conclusion that that's the problem, but I've seen it happen with all the top seeders I play. So I don't know WTF to think of MyTeam.

I finally beat the 1st seed and got Ewing about a month ago, and have never played another RTTP game since.

The only thing I'll give MyTeam the edge over Play Now online, is that the player movements don't feel super slow.
Old 08-06-2016, 08:43 PM   #29
MVP

Insight23's Arena

OVR: 1
Shooting success dependent on score of the game?

I agree on there not being a comeback code but just a momentum system that needs to be adjusted. Honestly, I don't even like when I benefit from it. I've launched off-balance/awkward shots late in games to comeback or even possibly win.

I've come back from 8 points in the last 1 1/2 minutes in a game by taking far out 3's with JR Smith while being contested.
Old 08-06-2016, 08:44 PM   #30
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboyfan_19
There are times when you'll face someone in the 4th seed, and if that's the case, they are playing at a lower difficulty than you. 4th seeders have a 1.25 difficulty multiplier, and the others have a 1.5 multiplier. Normally, I'd come to the conclusion that that's the problem, but I've seen it happen with all the top seeders I play. So I don't know WTF to think of MyTeam.

I finally beat the 1st seed and got Ewing about a month ago, and have never played another RTTP game since.

The only thing I'll give MyTeam the edge over Play Now online, is that the player movements don't feel super slow.
oh i know about the difference in seeds and such. but even still...i have all the sluttiest 3-pt shooters and abusive players you can get outside of Kobe and Melo, so when i break down defenses and get guys open, i expect to at least hit those shots at a high rate. i went 0 for. and none of them were forced or bad shots. every single one were wide open shots. its the most annoying thing ever bc you literally KNOW it's 2K's programming doing it to you. there is no excuse for it otherwise. hence one of the reasons i refuse to buy 2k17
Old 08-06-2016, 08:46 PM   #31
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insight23
I agree on there not being a comeback code but just a momentum system that needs to be adjusted. Honestly, I don't even like when I benefit from it. I've launched off-balance/awkward shots late in games to comeback or even possibly win.

I've come back from 8 points in the last 1 1/2 minutes in a game by taking far out 3's with JR Smith while being contested.
That manufactured momentum system, late in games, feels like a comeback code....and should be considered one bc of the nature of how they program it. they need to leave all the momentum **** alone. let us play straight up and let the best man win.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2016, 10:00 PM   #32
MVP

Insight23's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by phriscaul
That manufactured momentum system, late in games, feels like a comeback code....and should be considered one bc of the nature of how they program it. they need to leave all the momentum **** alone. let us play straight up and let the best man win.

Yeah, I suppose it's essentially a comeback code. People tend to frown upon the possibility of such thing being in the game or look to point out a lack of skill on whoever is claiming there its present. That's why my example was how I benefited from it.

Wasn't there a clutch option or something similar in older 2k's that you could turn on & off? I wouldn't mind us users being able to choose if we wanted it in the game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »