Home

Hopefully 2k17 defense wont be all about steals and blocks

This is a discussion on Hopefully 2k17 defense wont be all about steals and blocks within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-07-2016, 02:36 PM   #1
MVP

alabamarob's Arena

OVR: 5
Hopefully 2k17 defense wont be all about steals and blocks

Good defense should not revolve around steals and blocked shots. Great defense should be more about positioning, effort, strength and length. Poor defensive teams and defenders with decent steal or block ratings are to effective on 2k16. There has to be a cost/benefit trade off to playing poor defenders, just like there is on 2k16 for playing poor shooters. Hopefully, 17 is tuned that way.

Maybe they should limit the defensive animations of poor defenders? Give the good defenders good contest, onball defense and steal animations. Give the bad defenders poor contest, onball and steal animations that either lead to fouls or blow byes.

Youtube: 2k Hawks

Settings I play on.
Minutes: 12
Difficulty: HOF
Online or Offline player: Both
In a MLO: Yes
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2016, 02:47 PM   #2
MVP

Hustle Westbrook's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Hopefully 2k17 defense wont be all about steals and blocks

Can't agree here. They completely nerfed stealing in 2K16.

All year I dealt with people throwing lead passes to their big men and half court inbound passes to their point guards because there was no threat of stealing the ball at all. If a pass was thrown in your vicinity you can expect to have your player get frozen while the player catches the ball and pushes you out of the way. This is why the manual cuts were so OP and was a go to move for people online. Steal animations were also slow and delayed. If a pass is being thrown directly into your face you shouldn't have to be an elite defender to be able to steal it.

Let's not even bring up the fact that if you did manage to tip a pass offensive players would get these ridiculous speed boost that enabled them to recover the ball before you could react.

If anything I think they need to severely buff the stealing in 2K16. It was straight up comical to see the types of passes that people would throw knowing there was no threat of a turnover.
Old 08-07-2016, 03:12 PM   #3
MVP

ViolenceFight's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustle Westbrook

All year I dealt with people throwing lead passes to their big men and half court inbound passes to their point guards because there was no threat of stealing the ball at all. If a pass was thrown in your vicinity you can expect to have your player get frozen while the player catches the ball and pushes you out of the way. This is why the manual cuts were so OP and was a go to move for people online. Steal animations were also slow and delayed. If a pass is being thrown directly into your face you shouldn't have to be an elite defender to be able to steal it.

Let's not even bring up the fact that if you did manage to tip a pass offensive players would get these ridiculous speed boost that enabled them to recover the ball before you could react.

If anything I think they need to severely buff the stealing in 2K16. It was straight up comical to see the types of passes that people would throw knowing there was no threat of a turnover.
Buff Offball Steals slightly or try to create a different context for the animations so it does benefit people who can read the pass. Keep dribbling steals where they are(I.E; If you're lazily sitting in front of me, or over exposing the ball I can Snatch it). Don't mess with the dribbling bump steals everyone complains about, those are almost spot on right now. NERF STRIPPING THE BALL OUT OF GATHERS FOR THE LOVE OF CHRIST. It should happen at an alright clip, but not nearly as much as it currently does. I'd say with the right reaction you can get a strip around 75% of the time on ANY drive animation. That's absolutely crazy. Guards need to be able to deal with bigs driving, yes, but maybe make it relate to a players "Hands" rating or "Ball control" rating more

PSN: ViolenceFight
Instagram: @ViolenceFight
Old 08-07-2016, 03:17 PM   #4
MVP

Hustle Westbrook's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolenceFight
Buff Offball Steals slightly or try to create a different context for the animations so it does benefit people who can read the pass. Keep dribbling steals where they are(I.E; If you're lazily sitting in front of me, or over exposing the ball I can Snatch it). Don't mess with the dribbling bump steals everyone complains about, those are almost spot on right now. NERF STRIPPING THE BALL OUT OF GATHERS FOR THE LOVE OF CHRIST. It should happen at an alright clip, but not nearly as much as it currently does. I'd say with the right reaction you can get a strip around 75% of the time on ANY drive animation. That's absolutely crazy. Guards need to be able to deal with bigs driving, yes, but maybe make it relate to a players "Hands" rating or "Ball control" rating more
Oh yeah, I definitely agree that the strips inside of the paint are OP. I should have clarified that when I meant steals I meant off-ball steals mainly.

The strip rate is insane on drives. I get multiple strips a game with players like Dwight/Draymond. And if a player like Curry or Westrbook is in the paint when you drive? Just forget about.
Old 08-07-2016, 03:19 PM   #5
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Both of you guys really want the same thing at the end of the day. If the game exhibits fundamentally sound defensive basketball principles most of the stops will be about forcing offensive players into tough contested shots, and not blocks and steals. Those sound principles have to be overcome primarily through ball movement strong sets and huge mismatches, which will expose those who are weaker defensively.

Those fundamentally sound defensive principles will also limit the success of lead passes in the paint, long passes, and various turbo plays. Steal numbers on those kinds of plays should be high because those are not viable plays for success at the NBA level. Even the worse defenders can get easy steals if they're in good position an the ball gets passed right in front of them.

Great offensive execution, sets, ball movement, should have a high level of success, playground ball should fail most of the time.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2016, 03:21 PM   #6
MVP

alabamarob's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustle Westbrook

The problem on defense is positioning not the nerfed stealing imo. If the defenders stayed in between the man and the rim when one pass away, the Y cuts and give and go wouldnt be the problem it is. I agree with you 100 percent that the manual cuts are op and that the lead passing is way to effective, but that is because the defensive players are trailing every cut and trying to deflect passes as opposed to bumping and preventing cutters.

I think preventing cuts and having more passes go out of bounds is way more realistic then jumping passing lanes and getting steals. They way you can cut off alley oops should apply to lead passes. I agree that their should be more turnovers on lead passes in the paint, but not steals.

Settings I play on.
Old 08-07-2016, 03:29 PM   #7
Banned

off-ball steals are highly ridiculous, even still. I should just preface every OS comment by saying that i play MyTeam....but I literally played a guy this morning that doubled all game. as a result, he stole a **** ton of passes out of doubles and somehow managed to jump all passing lanes of any player that i thought was open. on missed shots, i couldnt even outlet because he spammed the steal button there too so balls were either tipped or stolen there as well. it was the most slutty, cheesy game i've ever been apart of.

and blocks are just insanely OP. there is just simply no reason dunks should be blocked this frequently. we see a blocked dunk literally once in a while during an nba season. and in no way, shape, or form, are people blocking dunks on fastbreaks like they happen in this game. I wholeheartedly agree with the OP. defense is all positioning and effort. on 2K, its all about jumping before the offensive player so u can block the dunks and layups smh.
Old 08-07-2016, 03:31 PM   #8
MVP

alabamarob's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
Both of you guys really want the same thing at the end of the day. If the game exhibits fundamentally sound defensive basketball principles most of the stops will be about forcing offensive players into tough contested shots, and not blocks and steals. Those sound principles have to be overcome primarily through ball movement strong sets and huge mismatches, which will expose those who are weaker defensively.

Those fundamentally sound defensive principles will also limit the success of lead passes in the paint, long passes, and various turbo plays. Steal numbers on those kinds of plays should be high because those are not viable plays for success at the NBA level. Even the worse defenders can get easy steals if they're in good position an the ball gets passed right in front of them.

Great offensive execution, sets, ball movement, should have a high level of success, playground ball should fail most of the time.
I totally agree. My problem is with the turbo boost steals where guys like Roy Hibbert jumps a pass like Scottie Pippen. Seeing a 7 foot guy with a 30 steal rating shoot the gap is a bit much. Stationary steals are fine, but its not realistic seeing certain guys explode into a steal animation. Unrealistic steals animations is not the answer to poor defensive positioning. Thanks for clarifying my original post.

Settings I play on.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »