Home

How important is the soundtrack to you in NBA 2k?

This is a discussion on How important is the soundtrack to you in NBA 2k? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-10-2016, 10:10 AM   #25
MVP

midwestking100's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: How important is the soundtrack to you in NBA 2k?

Unimportant. I listen to my own tracks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2016, 10:16 AM   #26
MVP

midwestking100's Arena

Plus i play better when i listen to my own music i swear i feel like im in a zone and more focused instead of mundane when i do.
Old 08-11-2016, 12:11 PM   #27
MVP

OVR: 3

The 2K soundtrack has often been the soundtrack of the second half of my calendar year, barring the 2K13 and 2k14 disasters, so I'd say its quite important.
I am building a website that will host classic sport gaming rosters from years past. We have lost many great rosters for good over the past several years due to expired links. If your interested in contributing, please PM me and let the work live on forever!
Old 08-11-2016, 12:34 PM   #28
MVP

EZMADDEN's Arena

How important is the soundtrack to you in NBA 2k?

A good soundtrack is HUGE for a sports game! It is was gets you hyped and motivated to play the game. Having a soundtrack that goes with the culture of the sport is part of that. In basketball the sport has been surrounded by the hip-hop culture. So the base of a good 2K soundtrack is a good amount of hip-hop. It needs to be balanced out with some other genres though. I feel like NBA 2K11 and NBA 2K12 did a great job of this! Also, don't use a bunch of mainstream music from well-known artists (NBA 2K16). In NBA 2K11/2K12 there were a bunch of amazing songs from mostly smaller artist and some bigger artists. They also used to have songs made specially for the game! What ever happened to that? I feel like using songs that we don't hear everyday would keep the soundtrack fresh. When we hear the same songs that we hear on our everyday drive to work, they start to get stale. It's all about keeping it fresh!

Last edited by EZMADDEN; 08-11-2016 at 03:20 PM.
Old 08-11-2016, 01:09 PM   #29
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10

0.00%

10 char
Old 08-11-2016, 01:09 PM   #30
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

The soundtrack isn't that important for me in the scheme of things, but it's a really nice bonus when it's fresh, diverse, and original. I love when 2K's music is unique and introduces me to new artists. And I'm actually cool with an unspectacular soundtrack that remains diverse but doesn't necessarily jump out at me.

However, if a soundtrack is filled with super popular songs that have already been worn out, either due to how much I dug them once or how I couldn't avoid them if I tried, then it begins to become a detriment to the experience.

Also, offering just one particular genre seems to be playing with fire as well. 2K13 was one of my worst soundtrack experiences because it seemed as though every other track was Jay-Z and as it so happens, I'm not a big Jay-Z fan. And unfortunately, cutting out Jay-Z and some of the other pop rap songs from the playlist left me with U2's "Elevation" playing ad nauseum. And I mean, I liked that track, but only for the first 20 or so times I heard it in 2000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackball
I normally don't put much stock in a game's licensed tracks.

However, some games introduced me to some really cool tunes I never would have heard otherwise...
Yep, that's why I've always kind of dug NBA 2K10's soundtrack (and even 2K9 and prior). Really diverse, no real mega-popular tracks that we're already tired of, and a nice sampler for new types or music I may have never discovered otherwise (Ratatat, Matisyahu, MF Doom (2K9), Saul Williams, etc.)
Old 08-11-2016, 02:00 PM   #31
SOLDIER, First Class...

JazzMan's Arena

OVR: 23

I've enjoyed the majority of 2k's soundtracks. I still turn them off on occasion when I'm doing write ups on my dynasty and listening to Spotify, but I enjoyed this year's a lot. A lot of versatility.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Green Bay Packers
Utah Jazz
Nebraska Cornhuskers

Dibs: AJ Lee
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2016, 02:17 PM   #32
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Its important to me..as much time as I spend in menus...

Loved 2k16's soundtrack...it had something for everyone

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »