Home

NBA 2K17 Hands-On Impessions - Physics, Aiming with Shot Stick & More (PopSci)

This is a discussion on NBA 2K17 Hands-On Impessions - Physics, Aiming with Shot Stick & More (PopSci) within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-23-2016, 09:29 AM   #41
All Star

Mintsa's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: NBA 2K17 Hands-On Impessions (PopSci)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vni
Yeah well if shooting is essentially harder with the stick I don't see any reason to use it. Unless there is something else to it. That sounds like they weren't sure of that mechanic so they left the button unchanged just in case it was overkill.
Your right. THat can't be all there is to it.

If indeed it is. I can see that with online ranked PNO games, my park etc. We'll only be able to use the stick, not the button.

That would only make sense. If not, nobody would use the stick because it would be harder.

I'm a "shot stick", have been ever since it was implemented. So this wouldn't effect me. I actually think its a good idea (if everyone is forced to use it for inline ranked games).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2016, 10:25 AM   #42
MVP

ViolenceFight's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by phriscaul
they had it in 2k16 but casuals hated it cus they felt it was a "turbo boost." i absolutely loved it as it gave the offense another dynamic. having a guy on your team that can get by guys and put pressure on defense that way was crucial. then 2k catered to the Timothys.

That was not the case at all. It wasn't an explosive first step, it was abusing the animation directly after dribbles to get an unnatural boost. And this is coming from a guy that locked booster scrubs down. There's a complete difference between the launches (Which were the explosive steps) vs. What the speed boosters were doing.

PSN: ViolenceFight
Instagram: @ViolenceFight
Old 08-23-2016, 10:49 AM   #43
Pro

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolenceFight
That was not the case at all. It wasn't an explosive first step, it was abusing the animation directly after dribbles to get an unnatural boost. And this is coming from a guy that locked booster scrubs down. There's a complete difference between the launches (Which were the explosive steps) vs. What the speed boosters were doing.
Yes there was. I strictly play offline and knew nothing about the turbo boost prior to the patch.

Was it abused in the wrong hands? Yes.. but it also could be used in a very sim manner as well without the turbo boost tactic. The sim crowd suffered due to casuals.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:07 AM   #44
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintsa
Your right. THat can't be all there is to it.

If indeed it is. I can see that with online ranked PNO games, my park etc. We'll only be able to use the stick, not the button.

That would only make sense. If not, nobody would use the stick because it would be harder.

I'm a "shot stick", have been ever since it was implemented. So this wouldn't effect me. I actually think its a good idea (if everyone is forced to use it for inline ranked games).
Ironically, I have to move BACK to using the shot stick due to this change. This year was first time that I regularly used the button (minus when we used to be able to double tap for the eurostep move) for jump shots. It might have be placebo, but it seem like open shots went in more with the button.

I've been using the shot stick since Day 1.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:13 AM   #45
MVP

alabamarob's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76
Ironically, I have to move BACK to using the shot stick due to this change. This year was first time that I regularly used the button (minus when we used to be able to double tap for the eurostep move) for jump shots. It might have be placebo, but it seem like open shots went in more with the button.

I've been using the shot stick since Day 1.
Button responded quicker then shot stick for certain off the dribble jumpers.

Youtube: 2k Hawks

Settings I play on.
Minutes: 12
Difficulty: HOF
Online or Offline player: Both
In a MLO: Yes
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2016, 11:48 AM   #46
Pro

Re: NBA 2K17 Hands-On Impessions - Physics, Aiming with Shot Stick & More (PopSci)

I can't wait for this game to come out. The new shooting mechanic piques my interest, I like a new challenge to the game. The stamina is also interesting. I feel that the stamina will be a big complaint for the casual gamers and it will then be patched (like the 2K15 shot stamina, which worked perfectly). I just hope 2K doesn't succumb to the casual gamer and finally caters their sim community.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:54 AM   #47
Vni
Hall Of Fame

Vni's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: NBA 2K17 Hands-On Impessions - Physics, Aiming with Shot Stick & More (PopSci)

We still don't have confirmation that we can still bounce/lob pass. I'am guessing it's in but it's not in the controls so you never know. I hope we get a modifier for fading again.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:58 AM   #48
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vni
We still don't have confirmation that we can still bounce/lob pass. I'am guessing it's in but it's not in the controls so you never know. I hope we get a modifier for fading again.
We do have confirmation it was shown in the 2k17 controls article

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »