Home

I think passing REALLY needs to be tweaked/patched as soon as possible

This is a discussion on I think passing REALLY needs to be tweaked/patched as soon as possible within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-08-2016, 07:26 PM   #33
Vni
Hall Of Fame

Vni's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: Mike...passing REALLY needs to be tweaked/patched as soon as possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americas Team
Two hand overhead passes are usually used to throw over defenders, over double teams across the court, it should not be take completely out the game, just needs to trigger at the right times.

The problem is that it's pointless to add a logic that will never be good enough to something as situational as you described when you have an input designed for it.

It should be user controlled only. In this case triangle.

Sure you can improve the logic for the CPU but there is no need for one for the user.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:39 PM   #34
All Star

Sinner's Arena

OVR: 13

I feel that the over head pass animation happens way to often and yeah the passes are very slow and float more. It also leads to unnecessary turn overs, have had one defender in between two players and instead of passing around the defender it does a over head pass that goes out of bounds.

From what I remember College Hoops 2k8 had a lot of different passing animations and there was much more zip on the passes. Players would step out a little to pass around the defender as they should instead of doing the over head pass a lot.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:58 PM   #35
MVP

infemous's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhead80
The two handed overhead pass needs to go. If it can't be contextual it should be completely eliminated. The animation is too long, slow and drawn out and kills the flow of quick ball movement in transition or trying to get out on the break. It's also totally immersion-breaking. Watching players make 2 handed overhead passes a few feet away from each other is ridiculous. It's an eye sore and negatively impacts the experience from a gameplay perspective. It's all bad.

Second, watching the vids/leaked footage and then playing a bit of The Prelude today the passing is as floaty as ever. It's a step back from 2k16 in almost every respect. The necessary zip on a given pass seems random and far too infrequent. The animations just to begin a pass attempt are far too slow and it's almost impossible to whip the ball around in a half court sequence.

Mike, as always I appreciate and respect your hard work and your presence here on this board. Hopefully our feedback is just as helpful and insightful as the information you give us.
I agree but did find in the prelude if you passed as soon as the ball was in your hands it had more zip
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-08-2016, 08:01 PM   #36
Gameplay Director, NBA2k

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF
Hey Beluba, like I mentioned on Twitter the other day, a pass speed and dribble speed slider would be greatly appreciated. On videos, all of the passing looks to be too slow. The ball travel speed, not necessarily the passing animation.
yeah i gotcha, Will. Translating these two into sliders is a pretty intensive task the way we currently construct pass speeds and even dribble speeds. It's a great idea though.

As for the actual issue of floaty passes, we're getting closer over here. We'll get something in for a patch.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:06 PM   #37
Books Nelson Simnation

Bornindamecca's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bornindamecca
2 Questions, Mike.

1. I see you said that there are more contextual ball recovery situations on loose balls. I felt that ball pursuit and recover was one of the more underdeveloped areas of gameplay, leading to a lot of black and white situations that should have resulted in a greater variance of recovery outcomes. From what you said, you added a lot on the rebounding aspect of it for the individual player animation outcomes. Sounds great. My Question:

Has there been more context and variant added to completely loose ball pursuit and recovery? We haven't been able to fight for a loose ball yet in a basketball game.

2. Has the pass speed been adjusted/increased at all on passes that are intended to be fast? Obviously, we don't want faster lob/high passes, as they are slow in nature, but quick ball swings and bullet chest and bounce passes have struggled to stay true to the axiom "the ball is faster than the man" in 2k games.

I loved the additions to the passes last year, but this particular element could really change the competitive aspect of the scene, adding greater offensive efficiency to teams that move well and pass well.
This was my question on the subject from Mike's original blog thread.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:08 PM   #38
MVP

infemous's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bornindamecca
This was my question on the subject from Mike's original blog thread.

they could probably fix it by putting in a passing gauge, with the longer you hold it, the faster the ball goes, but also less accurate depending on ratings
Old 09-08-2016, 08:30 PM   #39
Banned

19LloydBanks82's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beluba
yeah i gotcha, Will. Translating these two into sliders is a pretty intensive task the way we currently construct pass speeds and even dribble speeds. It's a great idea though.

As for the actual issue of floaty passes, we're getting closer over here. We'll get something in for a patch.
This right here is why 2k is the best in the business. You have a complaint? They listen and find a resolution to fix the issue.

Passing definitely needs to be faster. Need more bullet passes. My pro am team constantly swings the ball and we always notice how slow the passes are. Glad I can tell them the devs are looking into it.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:33 PM   #40
Pro

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beluba

This may not mean much but the fact that you and many other members of your team actively and directly engage with the community beyond blogs, press releases, and marketing is one of the key reasons I support 2K.

Can't wait to get my hands on your PC version.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »