Home

NBA 2K17 Pre-Release Impressions Thread

This is a discussion on NBA 2K17 Pre-Release Impressions Thread within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 04:03 AM   #105
Formerly known as Barnsey

Barncore's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: NBA 2K17 Pre-Release Impressions Thread

At first glance the game LOOKS the same as 2k16 in terms of graphics. Some new animations. Things FEEL a bit different. There's obviously been subtle tweaks under the hood. Things feel more fluid. It will take a few more hours to truly notice the subtle nuances and how it affects the overall balance. Everything seems like it's balanced really well (though will have to play it more). For those who haven't played it, don't expect a huge change. The key with 2k17 is FLOW. It flows well.

Quickfire notes!
  1. - Jumpshot animations are awesome. They're quicker. Super smooth.
  2. - Rebounding with elite rebounders feels good too.
  3. - Ball movement is awesome this year. You can execute faster.
  4. - Stealing is cool. Sometimes you knock the ball loose but they get it back. I like that.
  5. - You can edit staff this year (through roster editor, outside of MyLeague), that's cool. (although can't change their names unfortunately)
  6. -I'm hating the soundtrack. Lots of bubblegum radio-orientated trash. I want some smooth beats and genuine inspiration.
  7. -Menus are real nice.
  8. -The fonts and numbers in the menus are nice too.
  9. -The roster editor is perfect. Love it. The logical next step is obviously to include more things other than attributes (vitals, tendencies, etc)
  10. -New attributes: open shot, contested shot, speed with ball, and intangibles. I wonder what intangibles does?
  11. -Why can't we STILL not edit body types?? Every draft class player has the same body. I wanna make guys skinny, fat, buff, all that. So annoying. Especially since the default body types on the actual NBA players are pretty off the mark too.
  12. -The face shapes of generated players in draft classes still look weird.
  13. -I like the filter over the top of the generated player avatars in the menus. Looks cool.
  14. -The art department is way behind the animations department.
  15. -The shot stick thing is pretty easy to get the hang of. Just push down and release at the right time, pretty easy once you get a feel for it. The releases are quicker this year. The dribbling controls have a steeper learning curve though. At least for me.
  16. -Things feel nicely balanced in regards to fouls vs non-fouls, charge vs block, and contested shot miss vs open shot. ambitious 3pt gunners vs guys who just shoot when they're open. It's good. Hopefully they don't overpatch the gameplay tuning in order to stop cheesers, unless it's absolutely necessary.
  17. -I feel like they need to update the running animations once and for all. It makes the game feel antiquated. Particularly the agility / initial acceleration movement.
  18. -I wish the layup animations under the basket were faster for guards. Sometimes it takes too long for a guard to gather himself and lay it up. Sometimes you want him to just quickly put it up before the defense reacts.
  19. -I'm up by 19 points with 4:30 to go in the 4th quarter and assistant coach seems pissed off with the team. Suspension of disbelief got ruined.
  20. -Can hear a "BEAT LA!" chant coming from my Spurs game. That's cool. (even though we're up 20 and the result isn't in doubt, but still)
  21. -It's cool how big athletic guys can jump over people to dunk. Adds a beastly element.
  22. -Graphically speaking, the game looks t he same as it ever did. I feel like they need to put a filter over the overall visuals to make it look like a real live broadcast. Maybe something to blur things a little bit? Or round the edges? Or to add slight trails to the movements? It still looks like a videogame. Would prefer that cinematic look.
  23. -Defending feels better. I feel like i can control my players. I feel like the results of my defense (for better or worse) are justified. Contesting shots feels realistic.

Last edited by Barncore; 09-16-2016 at 04:19 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-16-2016, 05:55 AM   #106
MVP

Americas Team's Arena

OVR: 0

Played 3 games on Pro:

First game: Hawks vs. Celtic- the guards will pull up and shoot the midrange and 3 point shot if given space.
Dwight Howard soars above the rim and aggressively goes after rebounds.

Second game: Knicks vs. Cavs- they often put Kyrie in one-on-one and post ups, he will do you in. Kristaps had a sick block on a floater layup.

Third game: Spurs vs. Blazers- again their guards were pulling up for the jumper and threes if given any room. The Spurs on defense are fun, Leonard is a best and he gets a lot of steals, Ginobili handles are sick.
I beat the Blazers by 20 could never do that in 2K16, I think the comeback cheese is gone.

2K17 is more responsive than ever, you have more control than ever, whatever you think should happen can happen most of the time.

i like the new menus, they will be the best ever once people get use to them.
Old 09-16-2016, 07:07 AM   #107
MVP

fatleg3's Arena

OVR: 27

After a few games in play now online i have a few quick thoughts....
1. I need more time with plays but right now I'm not feeling it to much. Instead of looking at a list which is much easier to read, we have to navigate around this big triangle while also playing point. I have to search around to find what I'm looking for and if it's not on the first page, I have to flip the page and do more searching instead of just scrolling down a list. It's just to clunky.
2. Lots of signature animations from shots, layups, dribbles, and follow throughs....
3. The timeout window is to clunky also....
4. I still haven't used the shot stick for jumpshots. I'm in too deep with using square.....
5. I can finally go to the basket with small gaurds....
6. Due to less sliding, it's harder to spam the paint.....

Plays also take to much time to develop.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Old 09-16-2016, 07:26 AM   #108
Pro

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustle Westbrook
How in the world do you do a post fade with the shot stick?
When I try to do a post fadeaway with Dirk from the high post, his go-to move, I am getting penalized because I am not aiming it correctly???? Common guys!!! this right stick aiming is ridiculous in some cases like this... how can I aim a shot like a fadeway that I have to point the stick to left or right away from the hoop (camera relative)?... brick after brick... it makes no sense!!!

Why are we forced to shoot absolute with the stick or if not we are penalised? That's not fair... this is taking out all the enjoyment from me... Button users are hitting way more shots... We would need an option to shoot with the stick camera relative without penalisation/boost (as if it were the button basically).

Other than that, I am enjoying a lot the new animations and specially the AI is much improved in both ends of the floor, congrats to the devs!!! ;-)

Last edited by Guard-ian; 09-16-2016 at 08:02 AM.
Old 09-16-2016, 08:08 AM   #109
MVP

vtcha's Arena

OVR: 4

Surely 2K could've done a better job with the names of the front office staff.

There are 5 teams in the league where "John Smith" is the assistant coach.

C'mon 2K... if you can't make it more realistic then at least give us the option to rename them
Old 09-16-2016, 09:05 AM   #110
Rookie

ClassActFan's Arena

OVR: 4

I wish I could play MyCareer. Can't even create my MyPlayer. Won't connect to the servers. I never was able to play the Prelude ever. NAT type has been open and I've reset my modem and router. I've even reset my Xbox One. Still says "There is a problem with your connection to our online services". Yet I'm able to play MyGM and MyTeam perfectly fine.
Old 09-16-2016, 09:07 AM   #111
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

The movement in this game is so smooth. I've only played a few games thus far, but I am loving every minute of my game time.

Well done 2k

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Advertisements - Register to remove
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »