Home

How Do You Use Advanced Rotations?

This is a discussion on How Do You Use Advanced Rotations? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-20-2016, 02:08 PM   #25
The Real Birdman

Mikelopedia's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: How Do You Use Advanced Rotations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosegoose
I appreciate the reply, in detail. I get that the basic minutes screen leaves exact distribution up to the AI, but I'm fine with that. At least I would be if the logic had been worked on at all coming into 2k17.

You see, even in valid lineups that perfectly line up (to be extreme, 5 starters playing 28 minutes each and 5 bench players with 20) the cpu will do it's own thing and assign minutes goofy, not to mention bringing players in/out at points of the game where real NBA teams never do. The result is, as you detailed, you need to go through and essentially build your entire rotation, all 240 minutes of it, from scratch...otherwise you won't get a rotation that makes any sense.

It's a lot of work and time, especially if you adjust for every game or even just for every injury/transaction/recovery. And if you don't mess with the timeline, simmed minutes and played minutes won't match up at all. As I noted, the AI doesn't have access to the timeline, so unless you do 30 team control and set a timeline for every team (I legitimately don't want to know how much time this would take for even just one season) other teams will have the same issue. And never mind if you're playing MyGM and only have access to one team in the first place...

I just don't understand why it's so difficult to assign the proper number of minutes to players, has been for years. I get that leaving it up to the cpu isn't always going to get the lineup on the floor you had in mind, at the times you had in mind. I was okay with that and looking forward to making my tweaks with this new menu. But to not even touch rotation logic...you wind up having to build your own rotations completely from scratch every time or keep running with the same old crap.

It's kind of like if you had a franchise with absolutely broken trade logic, draft logic, contract logic, etc, and instead of doing anything about it you simply threw 30 team control in as an option. It's great to have as an option but that's an awful lot of work required at a minimum to make things passable. Not to mention it would mean single-team modes (MyGM) would be downright awful.

This might just be a difference of opinion--you said: "What I love about this is 2k is saying, we can't figure out how to correct the issue with the substitution logic that forces starters to basically play the whole 4th, so here adjust it yourself." Where, on my end, I hate that they did that. I do love that the option is there (just like I love options and control in general, it's why I don't play MyGM), but I firmly disagree that it's a substitute for fixing the underlying logic.

Personally, I'm willing to figure out how many players to put in my rotation, assign them minutes, make sure everything's valid (appropriate players at all positions for all minutes, make sure a player playing only 10% of his minutes at one position isn't starting there), and then maybe do some fine tuning to the timeline (maybe stagger the lineups a little differently, end the game with a specific group, etc). If I have to do more than that, like build the entire thing from scratch, it quickly becomes not worth it to do at all unless I'm playing every game in the season and moving along at a slow pace. And I can't be the only one who shares this sentiment, as I'm sure there are hordes of casual players who don't wish to do as deep into MyLeague as even guys like me do.

Sorry if this seemed like a rant! I was just really hyped for better rotation logic this year and more disappointed than I should have been when I found out it's unchanged. It would be like expecting totally overhauled draft logic when the reality was that we could make all the picks for each team ourselves. It's obviously great to have the option, but it would stink to have to pick between that and drafts where Ben Simmons falls out of the lottery or something.

I do love the feature, and if I have one wish for it it's this: that the initially generated timeline could at least carry over the proper minutes from the allocation screen. I would gladly make edits to my rotations if I didn't have to always build them from scratch. Not having starters play the entire 4th by default would be nice too...
Trust me I get you. For years I've begged for improved rotation logic. To at least allow me to do it myself is a step forward when there have previously been NO steps at all. That's what I'm happy about. The time consuming factor?....shhhhhhiiii I can't even. Only like 10% of my time with a sports game is spent playing the actual game so it is what it is. The new quick roster edits is at least alleviating some of that, now hopefully they add tendencies. I'm a 30 team control guy and always have been. Did nothing but play quick games in 2k14 for that reason.

Bottom line, for me personally, if I can only choose one: full customization or improved logic, I'll ALWAYS choose customization at the sacrifice of time. In a perfect world we all obviously want both.

Your trade logic example, man I can't remember the last time I even tested the trade logic. I've never even entered a MyGM mode lol. But that's just me, I'd rather do things myself to make sure they are right.

Every step 2k takes towards "full customization" is a step towards the perfect game for me. This includes designing your own offenses and defenses, accessory colors and headbands, contract details, player body types, hair, etc. This year they just checked a huge box for me with the rotation timeline.

Again not perfect, but at least we're going somewhere.

PSN: MiiikeMarsh
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2016, 02:55 PM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 5

Do your advanced rotation settings get adjusted every time you have an injury in franchise mode, or does it ignore them?

I forgot to check when I was running through new features (I stick with myplayer until preseason rosters get settled).

It's one thing to fix your minute rotations after an injury, it's another to delve into this excel chart every time someone misses a game.
Old 09-20-2016, 03:59 PM   #27
MVP

OVR: 15

My question is similar to the poster above..

1.My plan is to start a MyLeague and use 30 team control with the Simworld roster.

2. I will go into each teams roster and set the manual rotations.

Will these stick for the entire year?

If there is an injury will the CPU make the appropriate adjustmenrs?

When the player comes back from injury will the CPU adjust rotations back to how they were before the injury?

Thansk in advance for any insight!
Old 09-20-2016, 04:22 PM   #28
MVP

tetoleetd's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayne12345
It's quite easy ya'll.

1. Go to the the minute where you want Dragan to be a SF instead of C
2. Press 'triangle' on PS4 (I think Y on Xbox) to go to the Left Panel
3. On the left panel press x (or A on xbox) to highlight the SF at that minute.
4. Then go down and highlight Dragan Bender. Dragan will now be SF for that minute and your SF will now be C.
5. Continue this for each minute where you want your guy to play out of position.
lol its not that easy though. its actually an over complicated system that is very confusing.
Old 09-20-2016, 08:18 PM   #29
Pro

joosegoose's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelopedia
Trust me I get you. For years I've begged for improved rotation logic. To at least allow me to do it myself is a step forward when there have previously been NO steps at all. That's what I'm happy about. The time consuming factor?....shhhhhhiiii I can't even. Only like 10% of my time with a sports game is spent playing the actual game so it is what it is. The new quick roster edits is at least alleviating some of that, now hopefully they add tendencies. I'm a 30 team control guy and always have been. Did nothing but play quick games in 2k14 for that reason.

Bottom line, for me personally, if I can only choose one: full customization or improved logic, I'll ALWAYS choose customization at the sacrifice of time. In a perfect world we all obviously want both.

Your trade logic example, man I can't remember the last time I even tested the trade logic. I've never even entered a MyGM mode lol. But that's just me, I'd rather do things myself to make sure they are right.

Every step 2k takes towards "full customization" is a step towards the perfect game for me. This includes designing your own offenses and defenses, accessory colors and headbands, contract details, player body types, hair, etc. This year they just checked a huge box for me with the rotation timeline.

Again not perfect, but at least we're going somewhere.
I get frustrated with myself for how much time I spend not playing the game a lot of times, and I probably spend 5% of the time you do (at most!). That's why 2k just needs to give you a job already do you can do your thing no problem.

What you said about full customization really resonates with me, it's why I sink a lot of time into MyLeague this year and why I play on PC in general. The main difference I think is that you love it so you can do it all yourself and get it right, my big appeal comes from trust in the community to get things sim. I'll make some changes myself, but I like to stop from doing too much so I don't forget to enjoy the game.

If I had to pick between full customization and better logic (not fun), I'd probably pick logic because in that perfect world things are working great out of the box. It would probably take me back to when I was younger and sinking countless hours into games, not knowing about or being bothered by inaccuracies that drive me nuts now.

Adding this feature really is a great first step, my mistake was assuming it's inclusion meant a rework to logic. I'll continue to hope for some streamlining and improved AI logic so that the amazing depth of the timeline appeals to more than the current small subset of overall users.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez7
Do your advanced rotation settings get adjusted every time you have an injury in franchise mode, or does it ignore them?

I forgot to check when I was running through new features (I stick with myplayer until preseason rosters get settled).

It's one thing to fix your minute rotations after an injury, it's another to delve into this excel chart every time someone misses a game.
The AI won't overwrite your settings for you, but you do have to go into the timeline screen and make changes whenever you're going to roll with a different rotation. If you change your minutes allocation after an injury, you have to address the timeline or simmed games and played games won't match up.

The part of your post I bolded is probably the basic thesis of my disappointment. Great feature to have, but it's a hell of a time commitment and a lot of work (it's not easy to build a rotation from scratch! mad respect to those who can do it no problem) to get any value at all out of it (it's an all or nothing feature).
Old 09-21-2016, 02:57 AM   #30
Rookie

antdoggydogg's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazpay2k28
Don't waste your time on this. Cause I did and the results aren't what you expect. In theory you can set up specific formations for specific times. In the game however you might find yourself with your 2nd team in the dying seconds of the 4th quarter, because reasons.

But it's great that new features are added every year. Even if they aren't working, but whatever.
In my experience it works just the way you tell it too. You need to call timeouts or commit intentional fouls if you want those guys that are scheduled to sub in, to come into the game. Otherwise you might hit a 2 minute stretch of no dead balls and no substitutions taking place. That's happened to me with my advanced rotations set, and I knew it was happening because I saw my starters sitting at the scorers table waiting to check in for a few possessions.
Old 09-21-2016, 04:01 AM   #31
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by antdoggydogg
In my experience it works just the way you tell it too. You need to call timeouts or commit intentional fouls if you want those guys that are scheduled to sub in, to come into the game. Otherwise you might hit a 2 minute stretch of no dead balls and no substitutions taking place. That's happened to me with my advanced rotations set, and I knew it was happening because I saw my starters sitting at the scorers table waiting to check in for a few possessions.
Which happens plenty in real life - as much as we go on about the trigger happy refs, there are plenty of stretches where there are no breaks in play.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-21-2016, 07:12 AM   #32
Rookie

does anyone know if you play 10 minute quarters, how does this effect the advanced rotation? I generally play with less than the 12 minute quarters but i love the idea of advanced rotations.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »