Home

PS4 Pro Will Run NBA 2K17 at Native 4K Resolution, 60 FPS with HDR Support

This is a discussion on PS4 Pro Will Run NBA 2K17 at Native 4K Resolution, 60 FPS with HDR Support within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-14-2016, 03:44 PM   #49
MVP

OVR: 9
Re: PS4 Pro Will Run NBA 2K17 at Native 4K Resolution, 60 FPS with HDR Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockie_Fresh88
I doubt the game will be ultra settings . Also keep in mind that running a game on Pc is different from running a game on PS4.
In the end it comes down to processing power, though. A console with lesser specs than a powerful gaming PC is not going to be able to play games at the same settings the gaming PC would be able to.

The PS4 Pro will probably be 4K @ 60 FPS as advertised, but barring some miracle you're not going to get maximum graphical settings at that framerate like you would on a powerful (and much more expensive) gaming PC.

The console will also look better than previous consoles, sure. It will most likely look really nice on a nice 4K TV, too. Some of us already have had games on PC in 4K looking beautiful on a 4K TV (shameless plug for my YouTube channel - Search for "Oblivion Let's Play in 4K" and you'll see my 4K Let's Play I uploaded awhile back).

However, even a game like Witcher 3, for example, in 4K @ 60 FPS and Ultra settings is going to take a graphics card even more powerful and expensive than what I have. I could probably run Witcher 3 @ 4K - 60 FPS on Medium or so (haven't tried) and I have a graphics card that ALONE costs the same amount of money as the PS4 Pro console!

Last edited by fluent2332; 10-14-2016 at 03:51 PM.
Old 10-14-2016, 04:19 PM   #50
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluent2332
In the end it comes down to processing power, though. A console with lesser specs than a powerful gaming PC is not going to be able to play games at the same settings the gaming PC would be able to.

The PS4 Pro will probably be 4K @ 60 FPS as advertised, but barring some miracle you're not going to get maximum graphical settings at that framerate like you would on a powerful (and much more expensive) gaming PC.

The console will also look better than previous consoles, sure. It will most likely look really nice on a nice 4K TV, too. Some of us already have had games on PC in 4K looking beautiful on a 4K TV (shameless plug for my YouTube channel - Search for "Oblivion Let's Play in 4K" and you'll see my 4K Let's Play I uploaded awhile back).

However, even a game like Witcher 3, for example, in 4K @ 60 FPS and Ultra settings is going to take a graphics card even more powerful and expensive than what I have. I could probably run Witcher 3 @ 4K - 60 FPS on Medium or so (haven't tried) and I have a graphics card that ALONE costs the same amount of money as the PS4 Pro console!
I don't think anybody (including 2K) have claimed it would be at the equivalent of PC ultra settings (or even anything close), so I'm not sure why that is even being debated.
Old 10-14-2016, 04:26 PM   #51
Pro

joosegoose's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluent2332
Strike that and reverse it. That tells me that the PS4 Pro version is going to be far from a PC with ultra settings.

I have almost the same PC as you and 2K16 wouldn't even hit a consistent 60 FPS @ 4K on the highest settings. If I recall it would dip around 45 during live action.
I think it's going to be some of both. Some settings will have to be reduced of course, but the game also is/will be much more optimized for PS4 than it is for PC right now. Heck, try even taking a PC with a 750ti (matches a console) right now and getting it to run the same as it does on XB1/PS4. I don't think you'd come very close.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-14-2016, 04:33 PM   #52
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwnz
I don't think anybody (including 2K) have claimed it would be at the equivalent of PC ultra settings (or even anything close), so I'm not sure why that is even being debated.
Right, they leave that part out of the marketing. You have to think of how the "average consumer" views this type of marketing. If you asked one of them about the 4K consoles they likely think the graphics will be the best-of-the-best because they are 4K. It was just an observation I made on how they are marketing these 4K consoles.
Old 10-14-2016, 07:14 PM   #53
Lockdown Defender

Rockie_Fresh88's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosegoose
I think it's going to be some of both. Some settings will have to be reduced of course, but the game also is/will be much more optimized for PS4 than it is for PC right now. Heck, try even taking a PC with a 750ti (matches a console) right now and getting it to run the same as it does on XB1/PS4. I don't think you'd come very close.
That's the key word -optimized
#1 Laker fan
First Team Defense !!!
Old 10-14-2016, 07:23 PM   #54
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockie_Fresh88
I doubt the game will be ultra settings . Also keep in mind that running a game on Pc is different from running a game on PS4.
Comparing a Console to a PC, in terms of Video Games is one

A console is a dedicated device, and the PS4 can be coded to the metal, they know exactly what the over head is and what it is sharing resources with. Hence why Console manufacturers will put 8GB of Ram in their system and take away 1gb of ram for the OS and reduce the cost off that OS memory over time once they get better at coding to the system. So a dev starts out with 7gb of ram and a dedicated device.

A PC has so much stuff that need resources that are running behind the scene and are sharing resources with several programs, that is why a your PC can't handle what a dedicated device can.

Furthermore we don't know the complete break down of the PS4 Pro because they haven't made it public, especially the custom chips.
Old 10-14-2016, 07:29 PM   #55
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impetuous65
Comparing a Console to a PC, in terms of Video Games is one

A console is a dedicated device, and the PS4 can be coded to the metal, they know exactly what the over head is and what it is sharing resources with. Hence why Console manufacturers will put 8GB of Ram in their system and take away 1gb of ram for the OS and reduce the cost off that OS memory over time once they get better at coding to the system. So a dev starts out with 7gb of ram and a dedicated device.

A PC has so much stuff that need resources that are running behind the scene and are sharing resources with several programs, that is why a your PC can't handle what a dedicated device can.

Furthermore we don't know the complete break down of the PS4 Pro because they haven't made it public, especially the custom chips.
My PC can't handle what a "dedicated device" can? That's not true. A powerful PC rig will handle anything a console can do and still have resources to spare (as it's been for many years now).

It's nice that they can develop for a "dedicated device" but even with Windows 10 running and several apps open a powerful PC can do more than a console, lol. Also, the latest consoles are basically back to PC-style architecture anyway.

I'm not saying consoles are bad or anything. They serve their purpose (for now, until PC gaming in the living room becomes more of a common thing). They have a large community of players and exclusive games, etc.

Last edited by fluent2332; 10-14-2016 at 07:31 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-14-2016, 07:51 PM   #56
Rookie

OVR: 2

The main reason you guys can't run 2k17 @ 4k60 on PC is most likely VRAM limitations. The 970 is limited to 3.5gb of VRAM and 2k is using 4gb+. Simply put - the 970 is not a 4k capable GPU in most scenarios. It's more of a 1440p (or maybe even 1080p at this point) card.

Consoles on the other hand are designed differently and can take full advantage of their 8gb of ram.

This is why, in general, most console ports on PC have been getting out of control on vram usage. It's a mix between poor optimization and just how the game engines are designed in general. Properly optimized games or PC exclusives are using much less VRAM than the typical lazy console port.

And yes the PS4 Pro is as powerful or more than a 970. It's using a card slightly lower than RX 480 specs which is slightly faster than a 970.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »