Home

Patches gave 17 a Complete turn around from the release version

This is a discussion on Patches gave 17 a Complete turn around from the release version within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-15-2016, 03:33 PM   #9
MVP

nuckles2k2's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Patches gave 17 a Complete turn around from the release version

Happens every year.

I used to play 2K with my 360 disconnected from the 'net, but I purchase the digital versions now, so I can't escape patch hell.

Y'all aren't the only ones experiencing it tho. 2K's codebase doesn't seem to be stable enough for remote updates, cuz this always happens, without fail.

By the time we get 3 patches deep, the game no longer 'feels' the same. Individual issues might be addressed, but the game eventually ends up feeling "loose" and/or you're stuck in mud.

I have a sneaking suspicion that all of the offline MyCareer players also being connected to the servers doesn't help the situation either.

2k's servers are already iffy, and everyone being persistently connected to them doesn't sound smart or necessary (gotta track that VC tho). Case-in-point, 2K plays & feels one way at 6am eastern -- well before the "majority" of people are on the servers -- vs lets say about 8pm eastern -- when you have more people online.

You don't have to "fight" your player as much during periods when you'd think there are less people connected. Also have to factor in more copies of the game being purchased later in the year, so therefor more people connected to the servers.

I don't know how one equates to the other, but there is definitely something going on with 2K since it keeps doing this, without fail.
Old 10-15-2016, 04:09 PM   #10
Pro

TheDuggler's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckles2k2
By the time we get 3 patches deep, the game no longer 'feels' the same. Individual issues might be addressed, but the game eventually ends up feeling "loose" and/or you're stuck in mud.
Its because the game is very different at launch each year, but people whine and complain because they can't get a handle on it.

Eventually they patch it to hell and it ends up feeling like the same edition from last year that you were sick of playing back in April.
Old 10-15-2016, 05:27 PM   #11
Rookie

Sleepy59's Arena

I don't have that much of a problem with defense, I love playing it and most of the time my pro-am opponent quits after shooting 0/6. Didn't notice much of a difference post patch, but I might need to play more. Do you guys have defensive assist on? If so, that's what starts pulleding you around. Sometimes however, I do notice myself being pulled towards the "who to guard" even if my defensive assist sliders are all the way down, that needs to go. And if latency is rough, the response time for D is extremely bad.

So far I have liked the patches except for the fact that relentless finisher has once again been broken, and sharpshooters are shooting fixed precise 3's(patch) while still having an uneccesarry band-aid.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-15-2016, 05:39 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 8

Don't forget ball handling. The developers sold maximum control and fluidity. That lasted one week.

Complete bait and switch. Now its the same garbage 2k16 clunkiness with the forced hesitation dribble when exploding, delayed inputs and sticky on-ball D.
Old 10-15-2016, 05:43 PM   #13
MVP

nuckles2k2's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDuggler
Its because the game is very different at launch each year, but people whine and complain because they can't get a handle on it.

Eventually they patch it to hell and it ends up feeling like the same edition from last year that you were sick of playing back in April.
The only reason why I think it's the mere fact that there are patches is because I experienced this same sort of change to the gameplay on the 360 version after I would hex edit the files.

If I changed 3 thing things, like maybe making my player more athletic (speed, quickness, vert) at the beginning of MyCareer, no problem.

But then if I applied a real player's cyberface, gave him accessories, and changed his secondary position (SF/PF instead of SF/SG -- now we're at 7-9 things, which were usually 8 bytes of actual data altered per edit, ) then I would have to "fight" the player to move him around the court, and the game felt different. So I would eventually go back to the file that only had the athletic attribute edits.

What's really ironic is that the hex'd MyCareer files with bunches of edits played differently than Play Now, or Association. But after 2K patched those game too, both Play Now & Association caught up. All modes eventually had the same "struggle to control your player" feel.

Fast forward to 2K17, and we're 4 patches in, those updates contain multiple edits per patch, and people feel the difference in the game.

Coincidence & placebo? Maybe. But that's a mighty big coincidence. You can already tell that 2K's codebase isn't the most flexible & I think post-development changes to the code cause these issues. They were there in the hex'd saves & after patches in last gen, and we see them after patches in this gen.

It's a lot of technical stuff that I can't even be 100% sure about. But there seems to be similarities from year to year, and even console generation to console gen.
Old 10-15-2016, 06:03 PM   #14
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

OVR: 4

I have almost completely lost the 2k17 feel to this game. It's almost completely a reverse into 2k16 game play and I hope it don't stay parked here.

Sliding and too much looseness, protect fadeaways on jumpers that were not even contested during your gather, clanky ball handling.. it's all come back rearing it's ugly head.

In Park all I do is set screens for a shooter or beat my man 1on1. These characters are so 1 tricked out the average player is desperately flailing for air like they are drowning once their goto move is shutdown.

The game is becoming very Cheap. I'm like really considering an offline mode where I can play without these updates until some stability is reached. If only I could keep things where they are on my main profile and play the original title on a second profile. I'm having a hard time just grinding against CPU because the game play beginning to feel smack like 16 and it's the negativity of 16 game play not the things I was actually ok with.

I'm not trying to form a coalition for people to group neg 2ks patch endeavors. This is just literally the first time I really feel overwhelmed and offended by this BS. I really loved the new feel for 2k and payed almost 100 CDN for the standard title. Now to experience almost 2k16 all over again, ya, it has me feeling ripped off like a bait and switch.

Patches and tuning coming to axe archetypes greatness. It's all drowning the original greatness of the game and intent of the game play. That's what feels so screwed and is my definite impression. It's like everything is being done to kill the original master game play. Kill every original intended marketed game play for 17. Just gut the whole project and give us an updated 2k16.

I'm chill but the impression I'm getting from this is absurd. I'm almost shocked how things could become like this in the aftermath so soon - this soon...

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk
Old 10-15-2016, 06:13 PM   #15
Rookie

bottledwaterfan25's Arena

OVR: 4

Honestly I don't even care what they tune or change anymore. Just pick something and stick with it.
"I've missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed." - Michael Jordan
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-15-2016, 08:52 PM   #16
Rookie

I just deleted 2k an now im reinstalling it as if its a new game n i must say they really messed this game up with the patches. Playin on ball defense felt good no magnet pullin you the other way. Dribbling also was sweet out the box. I saw less of those fumble the ball when the person run into you animations. I was able to change directions on a dime without any magnet in the mud feeling...2k just needs to uninstall the patches n just tune the old game with the shot meter being fixed n we will have a 75% better game.25% still needs to fix defensive p.o.e

Sent from my SM-J110M using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »