Home

"Contested" Shots Needs to be Addressed

This is a discussion on "Contested" Shots Needs to be Addressed within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-16-2016, 03:21 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
"Contested" Shots Needs to be Addressed

To me, this is one of the most immersive breaking mechanics that needs to be addressed. This along with the mindless double teaming.

What I am talking about here is what is considered "contested". Just because there is a body in my vicinity does not mean that the shot should be considered contested.

I play on HOF and do very well so this is not a complaint about any particular difficulty.

But if I break a defenders ankles and he is ON THE GROUND and I take a shot near him -- it should not be considered an F and I am forced into some fading animation as if I was contested. This seems like another lazy band-aid fix to defense.

I don't know if this was patched in but I did not have this issue before the patch. In basketball, there are plenty of shots that are close calls that are good shots.

Easy backdoor cuts, running without the ball for a wide open shot because of mindless defense and constantly driving to the rim is not real basketball. I want a real experience where the defense is lock down but jump shots are prevalent, not constant offense in the paint or easy manual PnR because the AI can't tell the difference between needing help and proper switching.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-16-2016, 04:11 PM   #2
Pro

cmebfresh's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: "Contested" Shots Needs to be Addressed

I swear to god i was going to make this thread.... good job man!

MIAMI ALL THE WAY

MIAMI HEAT
MIAMI DOLPHINS
MIAMI MARLINS
AND THE U
Old 10-16-2016, 04:19 PM   #3
Rookie

Yeah I play teamup in HOF and it's just 3 guys swarming to the paint everytime. You can't shoot if theres someone beside you even if he isn't defending at all.
Old 10-16-2016, 04:25 PM   #4
Rookie

Sleepy59's Arena

Been an issue since 2k14. Read the paragraph on the portion where I complain about Defense. This is a post I made on 2014.

https://forums.2k.com/archive/index.php/t-596896.html

But the way things are now though, I think they should fix perimiter and on-ball D before they begin to give shooters more perks. As it is now, shooters already have it easy.
Old 10-16-2016, 04:38 PM   #5
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

This was brought back via a tuner to calm %'s...hopefully once the shooting band aid is taken away we can go back to how it was...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-16-2016, 04:47 PM   #6
MVP

Honestly, I'm starting to feel like there's absolutely no point in bringing these issues up around here anymore, because apparently this is how 'everyone' around here wants it to be. This will more than likely be the norm for the rest of the year. Bodies within 5 feet of the shooter will probably register as full contests in order to curb shooting percentages, so don't even bother shooting until there's absolutely no defenders on the court, lol.
Old 10-16-2016, 06:32 PM   #7
Pro

Frankly, I was a bit hesitant to create this thread but I'm glad the community is starting to be logical and not blindly defending 'band-aid' mechanics.

I also want to make it clear that I do not want shooting buffs. In-fact, I wouldn't mind a nerf to open shot percentages. I find myself getting a ridiculous amount of perfect releases. To add, I find HOF way too easy for MC.

The problem is there isn't enough emphasis on the experience. The way difficulty is handled is faulty as the AI is not where it needs to be to personify actual difficulty as opposed to an illusion of difficulty.

What do I mean? You can repeat the same steps to easily beat a predictable AI. It's the same thing as last year. "Ugh oh we need momentum. Let me just cut back door and/or run around players mindlessly standing still so the AI gets stuck and shoot an open jumper". This is clearly visible where if you run a play the AI will prioritize the play over your positioning or openness like they are blind.

This all ties into band-aid fixes such as tuning contests because they need to make the game difficult somehow so they choose to break immersion instead of tuning AI.

Don't get me wrong, I like a lot of the changes but I would expect this to be a priority. AI is everything.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:16 AM   #8
Rookie

acetheredcomet's Arena

I hope they fix the fact that a LDD with max defense and defense stopper on HOF should not be getting hit with ankle breaker 3x in a row in Pro Am.

OT:

I am starting to not look at the shot feedback as I would make Ds and Fs in the corner and miss As and Bs.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »