Home

Auto post up/protect

This is a discussion on Auto post up/protect within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-04-2017, 01:09 AM   #1
MVP

sirjam's Arena

OVR: 15
Auto post up/protect

I hate this auto control. Anytime I'm inside the three with the ball. If a defender is near me my guy goes into a auto post backdown animation as if I hit the lt. When this happens I'm unable to break my man off the dribble. I could see if I was Melo or a post up wing but my small guards shouldn't do that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-04-2017, 04:09 AM   #2
All Star

Smirkin Dirk's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Auto post up/protect

Have you got a video? I don't think Ive seen this.
Old 01-04-2017, 05:37 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0

Hey OP, didn't see your post, and I posted the exact same issue in my own thread. No matter what you do, what sliders you touch, this happens.

Essentially, how you replicate this is:

1. Play a regular match vs CPU or 1v1 blacktop vs CPU. I did Giannis vs Wiggins.
2. Now dribble without putting moves on him, just move forwards or diagonally or however, and attempt to get past Wiggins.
3. Giannis will very often, if not always, begin to turn his back and 'shield' the ball, eventually going into a post-up.

Q: Why is this automatic post-up animation an issue?

A: I don't my player protecting the ball on his own. If I end up losing the ball because I over-dribbled into the defender, and the defender swipes for the ball, thus stealing it, I'm happy for that to count as TO.

Case in point, Klay's first play vs TA in this vid at 0:03, when he recovers his dribble, faces up against him at the court sponsor logo, attempts to dribble past him, but gets swiped. This swiping doesn't happen regularly in the NBA either, but over-dribble TOs already exist in 2K17, so why force us to post-up anyway?

Another case against 2K's wall on-ball defense and the forced post-up

Lebron's dribble at 2:18 against LAC we couldn't hope to replicate against the CPU. He just gets by him. Try that in 2K, it won't happen unless you play on rookie (even then you might get bumped).

I'm sure this is part of 2K's on-ball wall defense.

I think why 2K has this stupid idea of auto post-up 'protect/shield the ball' is because of PGs like CP3.

Watch at 1:24 of CP3 against Danny Green, where he protects the ball by turning, but doesn't get forced into a post-up move. He actually dribbles free and past him.

I understand 2K's idea, but their implementation is awful.

I think they should remove this auto post-up animation and I think, if a human player wants to protect the ball, they always have the option of trying a half-spin dribble move or just pressing the left trigger to post-up, then spinning off the defender.

Last edited by fakeassc; 01-04-2017 at 05:39 AM.
Old 01-04-2017, 06:33 AM   #4
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

I get the idea behind it.

I honestly wouldn't mind it as a detriment to forcing your dribble into the defender...but the issue is that the CPU mirrors and brick walls you so much that it happens entirely too often.

The state of CPU defense pretty much negates are the dribbling improvements that made.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:06 AM   #5
All Star

Smirkin Dirk's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smirkin Dirk
Have you got a video? I don't think Ive seen this.
Just went in game. You're 100% right. For some reason I've never even noticed it. And yeah it does prevent the moves you highlighted.

Im an advocate for a shield move. Kind of like precision dribbling in FIFA, it would let you make more precise moves in tight.

Im sure you know what I mean, but it would look like this.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-05-2017, 01:21 AM   #6
MVP

sirjam's Arena

OVR: 15

Yes it hinders the gameplay a lot. I'll have a advantage, start my breakdown move only to get interrupted by my guy auto posting. This along with auto animations when caused by brick wall CPU guarding are my biggest two complaints about this game. Oh and the ice skating on defense but that's been there for many years. I didn't notice the auto post thing until patches started dropping. Not sure if it was there out of the box?
Old 01-07-2017, 12:07 PM   #7
Rookie

killaxxbearsxxx's Arena

You can get around this if you drive with the right angle..try focusing on where the ball is..if you're driving without using turbo and your ball handler has the ball outside the defender's hip, he'll do the animation where drives with contact..if the ball is closer to the defender's mid-line he'll get cut off

I'm not at home to take a pic or a video..I'll try to do this and post it later

Kingzxkobra if you want to catch me on PSN
Old 01-07-2017, 12:40 PM   #8
Rookie

Sitew33's Arena

I thought it was just me. This started happening a little over a week ago for me but since we hadn't gotten a patch I thought I might be doing something to trigger it. It must have come with one of the update tuners. All of this auto make me move how the game wants me to is starting to takes it's toll on my enjoyment of the game. Just when I had learned to just deal with and stop being pissed about being forced to the corner 3 pt line everytime I come down court (Using player lock) now I have to adjust to being forced to post up whenever the game decides it wants me to. I don't care what anyone says, I think all these things are being implemented due to online gaming/cheese, etc. I don't see it changing either especially with all the huge money tournaments. I guess as an offline player I will slowly be fazed out playing NBA 2K.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »