Home

How should progression work?

This is a discussion on How should progression work? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-19-2017, 07:34 PM   #9
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: How should progression work?

Simply put, think that every single rating attribute should have a potential rating. The players overall potential would be derived from that. There should be some variable as Some outperform their grades but by and large a player is what he is. There are badges to accentuate skills wher players excel. MKG came out rated as a poor shooter and he's improved some but he'll never be a great shooter. Then you have guys who are rated well out the box, say like MCW, but he's not gonna grow much because he's at or near his potential in everything outside of mental attributes.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:31 AM   #10
Farewell and 'ado

DocHolliday's Arena

OVR: 19

I always thought a "curve"'system would be cool to help with some variability. Not everyone has the same curve in the NBA.

Some guys spike early than fall fast. Some guys spike late in their career. Some guys go up and down through their career.

It would be fun to sign a FA that had a great year only to see that he dropped a bunch in ratings. Maybe he goes back up? Maybe he doesn't.

Same with signing a guy that had A off year and to see a spike in his abilities.

It's way to predictable at the moment and I think we all can agree with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 01-20-2017, 10:03 PM   #11
Pro

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I always thought a "curve"'system would be cool to help with some variability. Not everyone has the same curve in the NBA.

Some guys spike early than fall fast. Some guys spike late in their career. Some guys go up and down through their career.

It would be fun to sign a FA that had a great year only to see that he dropped a bunch in ratings. Maybe he goes back up? Maybe he doesn't.

Same with signing a guy that had A off year and to see a spike in his abilities.

It's way to predictable at the moment and I think we all can agree with that.

Well said

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-21-2017, 12:44 AM   #12
NBA Ratings Wizard

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday

Some guys spike early than fall fast. Some guys spike late in their career.
Isn't that just Peak Start and Peak End, which already exist?

Sonicmage NBA 2K18 Ratings 2017-18 season
Link to Ratings 1996-2017
Link to Ratings 1973-1996
Link to Ratings All-time

Discussion found here
Old 01-21-2017, 10:13 AM   #13
Farewell and 'ado

DocHolliday's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicMage
Isn't that just Peak Start and Peak End, which already exist?

That system only allows for one type of Curve. It would be cool have multiple paths for a career to follow.

Old 01-21-2017, 12:36 PM   #14
All Star

turty11's Arena

OVR: 27

i wish coaches/trainers on teams had a bigger impact on play development, say i had a coach and trainer with a C or lower for training/development i wouldnt be gaurunteed that all of my players progress and regression would be quicker. obviously this would have to come with massive changes to the amount of "free agent staff" with high grades (which is absurd, but a different topic)
Old 01-22-2017, 08:43 AM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 0

The best by far player progression system is implemented in the football manager series (which I definitely recommend to you OP, even if you don't know anything about soccer). Very complex and deep, but I'll try to sum up the basics.

Every player is assigned two numbers from 1 to 200, that reflect his current ability (CA) and his (PA). CA can never exceed PA (unlike in 2k).
How these numbers are evaluated, is a function of many things, such as how many positions a player can play, how skilled and athletic he is, his IQ etc.

Whether a player is going to reach his PA is determined by these factors.

1. Age. Fastest growth during young ages, especially for mental attributes. If a player reaches the age of 26-27 and is still far away from his PA, chances are he's never going to reach it.

2. Playing time. More = better. Too much = bad. Too much would be the equivalent of the AI teams in Philly.

3. Coaches and training facilities. Self explanatory I believe.

4. Injuries and medical staff. Also, easy to understand. Injury prone players generally don't reach their peaks.

5. And most important of all, Personality Attributes.

There are many in the game, but the only relevant to this model are Determination, Work Rate, Natural Fitness, Professionalism and Ambition. The first three are visible to the player, but the last two are hidden and you can only estimate approximate values by clues throughout the seasons.

The most important of all is arguably Professionalism, because aside from the speed and likelihood of growth, it influences the duration of the peak.

These attributes are not static, but are not trainable either. They can only be changed at a young age (<22), through tutoring by older players.

Tutoring is an integral part of the series, and is a process that generally takes time. Also the players have to be compatible as personalities, for instance don't expect prime Timmy (a professional, calm player) to want to tutor a young DMC (an unprofessional hothead at the time).

Also interesting is how these games handle peak duration.

A player's physical attributes usually stop improving once he reaches 27ish, start declining by 30ish and start freefalling at 34-35. Exceptions to the rule are players without injuries, high natural fitness and top determination and professionalism. In general the Lebrons of this world.

However, despite the physical decline, a player's CA can remain at near PA levels for a long time, through the continuous increase of mental and skill attributes. Much like how CP3 is still a top 5 player despite not being as speedy as in his NOP days.

Generally, most player progression/decline curves can be approximated by this system.

Iverson, very determined/ambitious reached his peak, but his heavy playtime cought up to him, and his unprofessional behavior and lack of work ethic kicked him out of the league. Gilbert Arenas comes to mind also.

Timmy, freak of nature in terms of fitness, driven, professional, enjoyed lasting peak and minor decline in overall value as a player in his later years. Jordan, Kobe, Stockton, Andre Miller are other player in that mold.

AD, good player so far, determined, has battled injuries and has had up and down seasons due to them (fluctuations in CA). Many players who came back succesfully from injuries, Robinson, Embiid also recently etc.

Antony Bennett, unprofessional, unmotivated, low natural fitness (asthma). Never even came close to what he could have been.

If the 2k franchise could draw some inspiration from that system, that would be ideal. Hell, even a straight-up copy of it would make me happy.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-22-2017, 11:06 AM   #16
All Star

turty11's Arena

OVR: 27

on the note of tutoring, bring back the mentor personality badge and have it so a player with the mentor badge will give a slight boost to progression for players on the team with either his similar playstyle or position.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »