Home

NBA 2K needs to rework its foundation

This is a discussion on NBA 2K needs to rework its foundation within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-14-2017, 08:40 PM   #33
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: NBA 2K needs to rework its foundation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverVersatile
Is there only 2 fouls animations on drives or something because I can pretty much tell if a foul is gonna happen by that 1 animation that happens.
Yup. The worse part is that fouls are also decided before the animation even starts, and they are triggered by draw foul ratings instead of the situation, player positioning, and defensive aggressiveness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceDawg5
VC is the worst thing to happen to the community. Before it's inception, the focus was a greater, more in depth gameplay experience every year. 2k wanted to create the ultimate SIMULATION of the real game of basketball. However, I vividly remember the 1st year VC made its debut. Everything has gone downhill since then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by de5m0n
Sad but true. I complain about same issues all the time but still spent over $250 on this game. I expect for next year, they will make it even harder to level up your players so you have to spend even more VC.

Focus has shifted from improving the user experience to extracting VC purchases from users.
You don't expect they will do this, you KNOW they will do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellquist
I don't see how 2K can be proud of this iteration.

VC is an issue even though I never use it. Okay 2K, we get it! There's a VC sale. I don't want to see this during the post-game or halftime show or on the damn scorer's table during a game.

2K dropped the ball and jumped the shark. Some guy said 2K is reading this and laughing at us because they made their money but that's the problem. This game probably sold 3-4 million copies but there's been backlash I've never seen before, so they need to stop playing games and make 2K18 a masterpiece. It's the perfect opportunity for EA to step in and give 2K competition. Something has to be done. I never thought 2K would be complacent or greedy. I thought they were like Naughty Dog or other companies that care about their community and want to make amazing games and that making money was a bonus. Now it's the other way around. It's all about the money. Yes, this is a business but you don't care about your product or the customers who have supported you for years.
Enough is enough!
100%. Most 2K players now probabaly weren't alive at the time, but when the original 2K dropped it was half the price as other games, specifically NBA Live, because 2K KNEW they had the better SIM product that the people wanted, and knew they just needed to get the game into the hands of consumers for it to take off. From there they kept improving the sim style every year and added things that the community wanted.

Since the beginning with NBA 2K and NFL 2K I held 2K Sports in high regard as one of the best companies as far as looking out for their community and putting the customer first..that is clearly not the case any more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesh2k
I'm perfectly willing to sit out a year or 2 because accepting 2nd best in a one horse race isn't good enough for me anymore.

I'd advise people to do the same or wait till there are pre-owned copies available. It's 2017, they've had this technology for 5 years now, so we need to see that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FixEverything2k
Seriously though 2k is beyond Broken I wouldn't mind if they waited 2 years or so to make a super quality product.
Yup. After 18 years of getting NBA 2K on day 1, I 100% won't be doing that for 2K18 and there is a good chance I won't get it at all. I'll probably wait a few weeks until the dust settles or Redbox it if I need to.

I would gladly have 2K take 2-3 years off and pay $100 even $150 for a new game that addresses all of the issues that are now plaguing the once beloved series.

This is ridiculous!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IDO...=youtu.be&t=8s
Old 04-17-2017, 07:31 AM   #34
Rookie

2K needs to look at these things:

- 2K needs to feel smoother, with less canned animations and more physics-based reactions from players.

There needs to be a difference between taking contact from bigger or smaller players.

There needs to more respect for the momentum of powerful finishers like Lebron or Giannis. However, smaller finishers like Kyrie or IT should be able to take contact or avoid blocks.

Right now, in 2K17, there's no difference between bigger or smaller players except that bigger players are slower and heavier. Bigger players should have some respect in terms of momentum or positional strength advantage.

- 2K needs to respect the blow-by. There needs to be far less contact on the dribbler because in the real NBA, almost any excessive contact is a foul.

In the real NBA, the defender backpedals. He gives space to the dribbler so he doesn't get called for a blocking foul. In the real NBA, there's more contests at the rim with help from a bigger player instead of cutting the dribbler off.

Also, dribble moves in 2K17 are almost useless against the CPU.

People have complained about the CPU not reacting to pump fakes or dribble moves. 2K needs to fix this. 2K needs to make the CPU lose in some of these situations.

- 2K needs to look at shooting.

In the NBA, open shot percentages are only slightly higher than contested ones because most shots in the NBA are at least slightly contested.

However, "tightly contested" ones should be made to miss.

2K needs to look at shooting and recalculate how the shots fall, because I play with real FG% and I have never gone on an absolute hot streak from 3pt range.

- 2K needs to make the CPU smarter in terms of creating their own shot and making plays. 2K should improve on shot-creation mechanics (like dribbling).

Right now, playing against the CPU is frustrating. Reason being they are not really creating their own shot (in fact, the CPU is dumb as sh*t on offense).

They end up taking low % contested shots and still hitting them (I play with CPU and Human sliders equal for shooting at least).

- 2K needs to rework defense.

In the NBA, defense is a team effort, a team thing.

This means help defense and switches are super important in making sure your team doesn't give up a ridiculous mismatch or give up easy blow-bys to your opponent so they can finish at the rim or pull up.

However, in 2K17, you have the CPU playing god-like 1-on-1 defense, but absolutely no defensive rotations from your CPU teammate or the CPU team themselves.

This form of overpowered 1-on-1 defense is just unrealistic in the real NBA.

Overall, instead of focusing on graphics or anything else, gameplay and AI smartness needs to improve.

TLDR:

- Fix shooting, so we hit more contested shots but open shots don't need to fall.
- Fix body-up interactions, so the game feels smoother.
- Fix AI offense, make them create their own shot, make their own play.
- Fix AI defense, make them rotate smarter and switch smarter.
- Fix body-up contact, make it so that stronger players feel stronger, and agile players feel more agile instead of sticky.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:29 AM   #35
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakeassc
TLDR:

- Fix shooting, so we hit more contested shots but open shots don't need to fall.
- Fix body-up interactions, so the game feels smoother.
- Fix AI offense, make them create their own shot, make their own play.
- Fix AI defense, make them rotate smarter and switch smarter.
- Fix body-up contact, make it so that stronger players feel stronger, and agile players feel more agile instead of sticky.
First two can be fixed by tinkering with sliders and it actually works well. You can also play with real fg% which eliminates a lot of the shot cheese.

For the last 3, I wholeheartedly agree.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-19-2017, 04:57 PM   #36
MVP

BBallcoach's Arena

OVR: 7

If they got rid of the suction that would eliminate half of the issues but the fact players suction to each other really bogs the game down. Then maybe have someone come in and teach them fast break philosophy cause their fast breaks are just horrendous. And like all others have said please fix the defensive AI. I don't think the offense AI is as bad as the defensive AI. Their rotations are flat out wrong, not bad but just wrong. As someone whos the son of a coach, coached myself, played and scouts hoops, the defense AI is embarrassing to call it a sim. Which is why I don't play this game online. At least with playing it offline I can remedy some of the issues with sliders.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »