Home

Shot Stick Aiming - The Veredict...

This is a discussion on Shot Stick Aiming - The Veredict... within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Do you like the shot aiming with the Stick
I like it 8 21.05%
It should be optional 11 28.95%
I don't like it 19 50.00%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-20-2017, 03:27 PM   #9
Rookie

MoodMuzik's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Shot Stick Aiming - The Veredict...

LOVED SHOT STICK AIMING AND LAYUP RELEASE TIMING.

Anything that can separate casuals from skills-gamers I am in full support of.

Maybe only have those under "Sim difficulty", or on Pro-Am and MyPark is button shots.

I hate... haaaate that they nerfed shot stick aiming.
Old 07-20-2017, 04:25 PM   #10
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

I didn't care for it but I'm always a fan of options for those who do like something so I'm cool with it being in the game but I'd like the ability to turn it off.

I've personally never been great with precise right-stick aiming situations. It was tough enough for me in Tiger Woods when I had all the time I wanted to get it right. So doing it on the fly with consistent perfection was probably never going to be in the cards for me. Trying to get to a reliable level was more frustrating and difficult than shooting a basketball usually feels for me; it never quite felt natural.

I think I'm okay with my video game shooting success being based upon rating, degree of openness, balance (squared up or off screen/dribble), and release point. Tacking on the aiming was just a little too much for me.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:33 PM   #11
Pro

OVR: 4

Hate it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2017, 03:37 AM   #12
Rookie

killaxxbearsxxx's Arena

I think it was a nice try to implement this in order to establish some type of skill gap, but it was just the wrong way to do it. I always thought the right stick was a way to gain more control over what your player is doing. It allows you to choose which layup type you want to do instead of hitting square and letting the game choose for you (in most cases).

My problem with the shot stick aiming is that is doesn't really give you more control, it just increases your odds of hitting the same shot that could been taken with the square button, and that is where it comes off as gimmicky.

It was a nice try, it just fell flat. It happens. If you ask me, a much better way to implement a skill gap is to add another control scheme (while having the default one still choosable) that is much more complicated, but at the same gives you more control over your player. Something similar to what I remember there being in 2k11 where there are modifers that change the action of normal button usage. So for example holding "L" while using the left stick does something different than just using or flicking the left stick.

I understand doing things like that have major implications, but I still feel that giving the user more control over our player's actions is a much better route to take than to just increase the odds of hitting a shot

Kingzxkobra if you want to catch me on PSN

Last edited by killaxxbearsxxx; 07-21-2017 at 03:39 AM. Reason: Apparently "i" and "o" are too close for my thumbs. Sorry mods
Old 07-21-2017, 04:59 AM   #13
MVP

OVR: 9

I like the idea that using right stick is smt more skill required (which i always use stick to shoot no matter what for years..) and that is rewarded yet it's kinda badly implemented, why there are 4 clock wise that are perfected first started as 6 when the game first released and then added 9,3 etc. What's the point?

It's not implemented well, there should be a risk/reward system to more skilled users to seperate them from others yet i don't see this is the way.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:40 AM   #14
Rookie

The shot stick was great for attacking the rim. It helped fully utilize the arsenal of moves u can do

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Old 07-21-2017, 09:29 AM   #15
Rookie

killaxxbearsxxx's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataman5
I like the idea that using right stick is smt more skill required (which i always use stick to shoot no matter what for years..) and that is rewarded yet it's kinda badly implemented, why there are 4 clock wise that are perfected first started as 6 when the game first released and then added 9,3 etc. What's the point?

It's not implemented well, there should be a risk/reward system to more skilled users to seperate them from others yet i don't see this is the way.
I remember them saying that they adjusted to include all cardinal directions because people were annoyed with having to rotate down to 6 when taking post shots. It's the same reason there's no aiming when you get closer the paint. Plus I'm sure the need to accomodate other camera angles played some type of role in that decision. I'm not going to lie though, it was kind of annoying trying to use that in the post early on

Kingzxkobra if you want to catch me on PSN
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-22-2017, 05:10 AM   #16
Pro

OVR: 2

To me it's not natural if I have to point the stick in a direction that doesn´t correspond to the arms movement of the player relative to the camera I am using... I had to start using the button to shoot because of that, and I hate it.

If they make this optional in 2k18 so I can use again the shot stick the same way I did till 2k16... I will buy 3 copies of the game next year, plain and simple (XOne, Ps4 and PC)... ;-)

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »