Home

Short Players.....

This is a discussion on Short Players..... within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-25-2017, 02:13 PM   #17
Rookie

Totalpackage83's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Short Players.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by isdatyt
The actual main problem is that layup animations are ridiculously slow. IT's main weapon, maybe even moreso than his acrobatic ability is his speed. He relies on getting a step on defenders and getting the ball up so quickly that defenders either whiff the block or goaltend. In 2K it takes a full calendar leap year to complete a layup animation. Steph is the only guy with quick layups. So while those avoidance layups look great when they work, in game they suck because defensive recovery compared to layup speed is like Usain Bolt racing a turtle that died four days ago.

One thing I do to correct this in offline modes is give him Steph's layup package and HOF finishing badges that allow him to get better animations and higher finishing percentages. However 2K needs to fix this for fans of IT in online play.
You absolutely nailed it. I honestly thin k responsiveness to timing on blocks should be directly related to the block rating even if under user control. I know some will complain about taking control away from the user but the most irrelevant rating in 2k17 is the block rating. If you are tall or a couple inches taller than the offensive player you can block the shot regardless of block rating.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 07-25-2017, 02:37 PM   #18
Rookie

killaxxbearsxxx's Arena

OVR: 0

This was something I asked for in Czar's 2k17 wishlist stream. I asked for different ways of finishing, whether it be with off foot layups, offhand layups, etc. I remember him saying the issue with implementing those things was figuring a way to activate them. It had something to do with trying to determine where it could activate in terms of distance from the rim, the defender, etc. I think.

Don't quote me on the actual reasons, it was almost a year ago, it's kind of hard to remember exact quotes. Czar if you happen to read this, sorry for butchering it lol

It seems like they don't have the tech to give us that kind of control just yet. I'd be willing to guess you guys are having success switching it to steph's layup package because it's filled with weirdly timed, crafty layups. I'm not so sure it's that the other layup animations are too long as it is that they are all normally timed. In a world where all layup animations have the same rhythm/timing (i.e. Block window), steph's layup package filled with crafty finishes saves the day

I can't wait until they are able to give the user the ability to be crafty around the rim. Things like those crafty finishes and being able to do those reverse looking layups from in front of the rim (using rim as protection) instead of solely on the baseline will make finishing a lot more fun and skillful (after the intial implementation that's sure to breed cheese).

Kingzxkobra if you want to catch me on PSN
Old 07-26-2017, 06:48 AM   #19
Rookie

Totalpackage83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by killaxxbearsxxx
This was something I asked for in Czar's 2k17 wishlist stream. I asked for different ways of finishing, whether it be with off foot layups, offhand layups, etc. I remember him saying the issue with implementing those things was figuring a way to activate them. It had something to do with trying to determine where it could activate in terms of distance from the rim, the defender, etc. I think.

Don't quote me on the actual reasons, it was almost a year ago, it's kind of hard to remember exact quotes. Czar if you happen to read this, sorry for butchering it lol

It seems like they don't have the tech to give us that kind of control just yet. I'd be willing to guess you guys are having success switching it to steph's layup package because it's filled with weirdly timed, crafty layups. I'm not so sure it's that the other layup animations are too long as it is that they are all normally timed. In a world where all layup animations have the same rhythm/timing (i.e. Block window), steph's layup package filled with crafty finishes saves the day

I can't wait until they are able to give the user the ability to be crafty around the rim. Things like those crafty finishes and being able to do those reverse looking layups from in front of the rim (using rim as protection) instead of solely on the baseline will make finishing a lot more fun and skillful (after the intial implementation that's sure to breed cheese).
Excellent post and I am glad you raised that question to Czar. Hopefully you raise the question again because since it wasn't addressed. When it is, this will be a game changer. I agree about the finishing speed also. That probably has a lot to do with the difficulty as well. Hopefully the shot blocking system is addressed also. Any tall player is a great rim protector I need 2k17.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 07-26-2017, 07:11 AM   #20
Pro

OVR: 2

I agree that size is too much of a factor in 2k, I know it is very important in real life, but in 2k is overpowered, also wingspan should be considered apart from the size for rebounds and things like that... Anyone has been able to replicate in 2k17 Rusell Westbrook performance last season? I can do it with points and assists, but forget about the rebounds...

Cheers! ;-)
Old 07-26-2017, 09:17 AM   #21
MVP

El_Poopador's Arena

I think it's not so much the layups as it is the lack of speed differentiation between players. There's really no explosiveness on the first step for quick players like Thomas, Irving, etc., which makes it very difficult to get around even the slowest defenders.

Couple that with the CPU reacting on user input instead of human-like movements, and the lack of decent spacing even on isolations, and it becomes very frustrating and difficult to take advantage of mismatches.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-26-2017, 03:38 PM   #22
Rookie

Totalpackage83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Poopador
I think it's not so much the layups as it is the lack of speed differentiation between players. There's really no explosiveness on the first step for quick players like Thomas, Irving, etc., which makes it very difficult to get around even the slowest defenders.

Couple that with the CPU reacting on user input instead of human-like movements, and the lack of decent spacing even on isolations, and it becomes very frustrating and difficult to take advantage of mismatches.
All of those are factors. I personally feel like regardless of whether the user times the block attempt right or not that ratings should play a role in how fast the player reaponds. If they press it too early....foul. You want the user to be in control but not at the expense of making the ratings completely irrelevant.

Old 07-26-2017, 05:18 PM   #23
Rookie

killaxxbearsxxx's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totalpackage83
All of those are factors. I personally feel like regardless of whether the user times the block attempt right or not that ratings should play a role in how fast the player reaponds. If they press it too early....foul. You want the user to be in control but not at the expense of making the ratings completely irrelevant.

I like the idea of having ratings play a big role, but I think it should do more than just affect the reaction time. I think it should increase the liklihood of a foul. That would force the user to learn who their shot blockers are and who they need to be less agressive with and just contest the shot (or vertical contest!). Affecting how well/quick the defender gets off of the ground allows for the user to go for every single block, hoping for a quick reaction/animation. It's like a safety net because if you're wrong, the defender is just going to stay put anyway.

But you'd also have to make contesting the shot more reliable and probably change the control scheme behind it as well. Maybe get rid of intense-D too (not really, I just wish they would)

Kingzxkobra if you want to catch me on PSN
Old 07-26-2017, 06:37 PM   #24
Rookie

Vic Viper's Arena

The issue with fixing this problem is most players don't play NBA 2K like a "Sim" and the basketball is tangible. It's hard to get past those two things.

I don't see how the 2K dev team can incorporate short players taking advantage of Big Men, unless it's through a badge. You can probably call it a "Giant Killer" badge. It will give you more versatile layups and increase your percentage through contact. The badge will also trigger a number of animations where the Big Men can't reach the ball, but there will be complaints from players about how their Big man can't block a 5'9 player. You will just see more threads made about that. lol

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »