Home

Short Players.....

This is a discussion on Short Players..... within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-26-2017, 07:47 PM   #25
Rookie

killaxxbearsxxx's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Short Players.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Viper
The issue with fixing this problem is most players don't play NBA 2K like a "Sim" and the basketball is tangible. It's hard to get past those two things.

I don't see how the 2K dev team can incorporate short players taking advantage of Big Men, unless it's through a badge. You can probably call it a "Giant Killer" badge. It will give you more versatile layups and increase your percentage through contact. The badge will also trigger a number of animations where the Big Men can't reach the ball, but there will be complaints from players about how their Big man can't block a 5'9 player. You will just see more threads made about that. lol
With this badge you run into the same problem, implementing those versatile layups. If they can add more versatile layups (and animations where the big man can't reach the ball), you might as well not add the badge. If you add the badge but not the versatile layups then the only thing you do is make the big man worse because the offensive player has a badge. And I can understand that frustration. They'd wouldn't be getting beat by a shorter dude, they'd just be losing because of a mechanic and they'd have no way of changing that.

But I do agree, there will be people that will complain that they can't block a 5'9" dude no matter what you do.

Kingzxkobra if you want to catch me on PSN
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-26-2017, 09:06 PM   #26
MVP

OVR: 3

Issues that hamper the effectiveness of small guards.

- can't control arch on lay-ups

Solution: Within 8ft pressing away and diagonal-away directions mirror the lay-up options of pressing it forward, only the options have added arch.

- cant protect the ball like elite guards in the air

Solution: over-haul the the shot change mechanic to allow for realistic and evasive double clutch finishes, reserving the best for the higher tiers of 'acrobats'

- far too few speed lay-ups; attempts where guards sacrifice elevation for speed in attempt to get the ball on the glass before a defender can block it.

Solution: haven't gotten that far yet, LOL
Old 07-27-2017, 12:44 AM   #27
Rookie

Totalpackage83's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Viper
The issue with fixing this problem is most players don't play NBA 2K like a "Sim" and the basketball is tangible. It's hard to get past those two things.

I don't see how the 2K dev team can incorporate short players taking advantage of Big Men, unless it's through a badge. You can probably call it a "Giant Killer" badge. It will give you more versatile layups and increase your percentage through contact. The badge will also trigger a number of animations where the Big Men can't reach the ball, but there will be complaints from players about how their Big man can't block a 5'9 player. You will just see more threads made about that. lol
Well they could feel that way but in all reality it would be consistent with reality. Isaiah Thomas has taken 6151 shots in 8 NBA Seasons. Only 154 of those have been blocked. He is as crafty as it gets. He has never had more than 0.4%of his shots blocked in any of those 8 seasons.

Chris Paul has taken 11,614 shots and only had 291 (0.3 BLK%) shots blocked.

Allen Iverson took 19,906 shots and only had 798 blocked (0.4 BLK%)

I could go on but I quote these numbers to say that the thing that makes these guys so special is how well they finish despite there lack of size. They did a much better job of being crafty than guys a foot taller. It is what separates them. I just wish they could reflect this in the game without overpowering things or nuking defense.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 07-27-2017, 09:07 AM   #28
MVP

El_Poopador's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totalpackage83
Well they could feel that way but in all reality it would be consistent with reality. Isaiah Thomas has taken 6151 shots in 8 NBA Seasons. Only 154 of those have been blocked. He is as crafty as it gets. He has never had more than 0.4%of his shots blocked in any of those 8 seasons.

Chris Paul has taken 11,614 shots and only had 291 (0.3 BLK%) shots blocked.

Allen Iverson took 19,906 shots and only had 798 blocked (0.4 BLK%)

I could go on but I quote these numbers to say that the thing that makes these guys so special is how well they finish despite there lack of size. They did a much better job of being crafty than guys a foot taller. It is what separates them. I just wish they could reflect this in the game without overpowering things or nuking defense.

I think you have to look at a lot more than just the total shot attempts. Of those 6,151 shot attempts for IT, for example, only ~27% (1,685) were taken inside of 3 feet. So that raises the blocked percentage to almost 1%. Then you also have to figure out how many of those 1,685 shots inside of 3 feet were actually contested vs uncontested/fast break.

There's a lot more to look at than what's on the surface when it comes to stats like that. They definitely need to figure out a way to make smaller, faster players more effective, but just making them harder to block is not the way to do it.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:00 AM   #29
Rookie

Totalpackage83's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Poopador
I think you have to look at a lot more than just the total shot attempts. Of those 6,151 shot attempts for IT, for example, only ~27% (1,685) were taken inside of 3 feet. So that raises the blocked percentage to almost 1%. Then you also have to figure out how many of those 1,685 shots inside of 3 feet were actually contested vs uncontested/fast break.

There's a lot more to look at than what's on the surface when it comes to stats like that. They definitely need to figure out a way to make smaller, faster players more effective, but just making them harder to block is not the way to do it.
Well we can take out transition baskets all together and only focus on shots at the rim, Thomas gets blocked less often than guys Wall and Westbrook. I don't see how making them harder to block because they actually are harder to block isn't s legit fix. I am on my phone and will show some math when I get to my tablet or laptop.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »