Home

2k18 and the problems with the current simulation system

This is a discussion on 2k18 and the problems with the current simulation system within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-25-2017, 10:29 AM   #1
MVP

VAWereWolf65's Arena

OVR: 0
2k18 and the problems with the current simulation system

Im someone who's very picky when it comes to simulation stats in game modes like MyLeague and MyGM. The following problems are still very much relevant when you try to sim in these game modes:

Statistical Problems:
-Players averaging far, far too few free throw attempts per game. The most i've ever seen westbrook average in myleague is around 7 when he averaged 10+ per game this season

-Teams taking way too many mid range jumpshots in simulation, resulting in team stats such as Points in the Paint and Three Point Attempts being way too low

-Players average too many assists per game. Guys like D-Wade and Marc Gasol average over 6 assists a game when in reality they only average around 3 or 4 assists per game

-Steals and Blocks are all out of whack. Players get way too many steals and I very, very rarely see players average over 3+ blocks a game for a whole season

-Field goal percentages are off. Players don't shoot high enough of a percentage at the rim but they shoot too high of a percentage on mid range and close shots during simulation. This results in very high field goal percentages sometimes.

-Three point shooting percentages can be erratic and crazy at some points. Guys with 69 three point attributes shooting 40+% from the three point line and guys with high 70 to low 80 three point attributes shooting in the low 30s or high 20s. Three point percentages should be easier to control and better reflected based on the players attributes

-Rebounding stats can be very erratic at times. Often times players don't average nearly as many rebounds as they should. Guys like Deandre Jordan and Drummond only averaging around 11 rebounds per game and guys like whiteside only averaging 12-14 rebounds per game at times. These numbers should be easier to control and represent

-Players not averaging enough turnovers per game. Guys like westbrook and harden only averaging around 2-3 turnovers per game when in reality they average well over 5+ turnovers per game

-Player three point attempts are too low also due to the fact that players take too many mid range jumpshots in sim

-Just like three point percentages, free throw percentages can fluctuate very erratically at times and cause numbers to be far off from what the players free throw attribute should be representing. Ex. I recently had a player on one of my teams who had a 73 free throw attribute and shot 92% from the line during the season

-Players minutes per games can be low and hard to manage at times.

Non-Statistical Problems:
-Prgression/Regression system is crazy and way off. Players attributes progress and regress in insane patterns. Defensive attributes progress greatly, athleticism attributes regress greatly. Open shot and moving shot attributes progress greatly while contested shot attributes regress greatly.

-Awards are questionable at times. Ex. Eric Bledsoe winning most improved player when his stats took a drop from the year before, Avery Bradley never making any all-defensive teams, Karl-Anthony Towns and Joel Embiid winning defensive player of the year. Coach of the year award is based solely off of what teams have the best records. Maybe add a option where the player can select the awards themselves.

-Free agency can produce very odd outcomes at times, ex. Kevin Durant going to the Suns for less money than he was making with the warriors. Players should have goals in free agency, ex. maybe a player is an all star who has never won a championship so he is looking for teams with the best records instead of whatever team offers him the most money.

-Auto Generated draft classes are pretty horrid to say the least

-Teams signing or trading for players that they don't need. Ex. OKC trading for Isaiah Thomas when they have Russell Westbrook, Los Angeles Clippers going after Mike Conley in free agency when they already have Chris Paul, Denver nuggets signing 4 centers and no shooting guards

Think I got most of the big things but feel free to add on. Hopefully this stuff can be fixed in 2k18.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2017, 11:28 AM   #2
MVP

Black Bruce Wayne's Arena

Re: 2k18 and the problems with the current simulation system

So even with the My League sliders you still can't get the simulation right?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 07-25-2017, 11:41 AM   #3
MVP

VAWereWolf65's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Bruce Wayne

I've done multiple different tests with the team training to try and see if I could fix player progression but none of it has worked out
Old 07-25-2017, 11:41 AM   #4
MVP

FerdBrown's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Bruce Wayne

Agree to what you mentioned. Many of those also happen in MyGM.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:02 PM   #5
Pro

isdatyt's Arena

I feel like nobody pays this nearly enough attention. It also doesn't factor in teammates. Russell Westbrook should not still be averaging a triple double now that he has another superstar on his team. But that's what happened. PG was only averaging 14 PPG on around 11 shots per game giving him a crazy FG% of like 67% mean while Westbrook put up 32/12/11. George would request a trade immediately if this happened.

Also have you ever checked the sim stats of a playoff tree? It's absurd. Houston swept Golden State in the WCSF and checking the stats, KD, just did not show up at all in any game. He only cracked 20 once. He wasn't hurt or anything. Eric Gordon had averaged more PPG than the man who is arguably the best scorer of all time. It's way too randomized, especially after the first year.

I don't need wild variation in my seasons. As long as that core group is together in GS, nobody is beating them 4 times. Damn sure not a sweep. I want the game to reflect that dominance. That's the fun. Having to build a team to meet them in the playoffs and out play them, not get lucky because they got swept and then proceed to murder the Rockets in the finals.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2017, 12:50 PM   #6
MVP

VAWereWolf65's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by isdatyt
I feel like nobody pays this nearly enough attention. It also doesn't factor in teammates. Russell Westbrook should not still be averaging a triple double now that he has another superstar on his team. But that's what happened. PG was only averaging 14 PPG on around 11 shots per game giving him a crazy FG% of like 67% mean while Westbrook put up 32/12/11. George would request a trade immediately if this happened.

Also have you ever checked the sim stats of a playoff tree? It's absurd. Houston swept Golden State in the WCSF and checking the stats, KD, just did not show up at all in any game. He only cracked 20 once. He wasn't hurt or anything. Eric Gordon had averaged more PPG than the man who is arguably the best scorer of all time. It's way too randomized, especially after the first year.

I don't need wild variation in my seasons. As long as that core group is together in GS, nobody is beating them 4 times. Damn sure not a sweep. I want the game to reflect that dominance. That's the fun. Having to build a team to meet them in the playoffs and out play them, not get lucky because they got swept and then proceed to murder the Rockets in the finals.
Yea I completely agree with your point about westbrook. Also i've seen many games where lebron only has like 16 points and it's not because he had a bad game, he has 16 points on like 70% shooting, meaning he simply wasn't getting the touches to put up more points. Lol we all know Lebron is gonna get as many touches as he wants, no matter what team he's playing
Old 07-25-2017, 01:16 PM   #7
Rookie

The sim is beyond broken and will be this upcoming year, and the year after that, and the year after that...

The sixers becoming dominant right smack out of nowhere, rookies shooting insanely high fg percentages...etc. There are FAR too many analytical stats, and resources (FiveThirtyEight, anyone?) for this crap to keep happening and mark my words.....IF I ever completely give up on 2k, this garbage will be why.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:33 PM   #8
MVP

VAWereWolf65's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hengist
The sim is beyond broken and will be this upcoming year, and the year after that, and the year after that...

The sixers becoming dominant right smack out of nowhere, rookies shooting insanely high fg percentages...etc. There are FAR too many analytical stats, and resources (FiveThirtyEight, anyone?) for this crap to keep happening and mark my words.....IF I ever completely give up on 2k, this garbage will be why.
I'm just hoping all of this stuff can be fixed in 2k18, even though I already know that it won't. It will be just as bad as it was this year

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »