Home

2 NBA 2K18 Classic Teams Announced - '96-'97 Miami Heat & '98-'99 New York Knicks

This is a discussion on 2 NBA 2K18 Classic Teams Announced - '96-'97 Miami Heat & '98-'99 New York Knicks within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-16-2017, 10:28 AM   #89
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: 2 NBA 2K18 Classic Teams Announced - '96-'97 Miami Heat & '98-'99 New York Knicks

Thanks for the videos! I know about the JVG grabbing incident, but didn't know these two teams had some great rivalry with 3 straight play-offs facing each other and things got heated. Makes the inclusion of both even better, because the roster of the 97-99 Heat was not that different year-to-year. Knicks obviously without Starks & Oakley, but with Camby & Sprewell to compensate so great to re-create this rivalry in a play-off setting
Old 08-16-2017, 10:30 AM   #90
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

Re: 2 NBA 2K18 Classic Teams Announced - '96-'97 Miami Heat & '98-'99 New York Knicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
I'd love to have him on board but I actually think the obsession over his and Charles Barkley's absence is a testament to how well 2K nailed things back in 2K12. There's definitely some Reggie and Chuck fans out there who are dying to be able to play as their favorite players but generally speaking, I think their absence has been such a big deal because they're just about the only modern superstars missing. We yearn for Reggie because we don't have to yearn for, say, Patrick Ewing. We yearn for Charles Barkley because we don't have to yearn for Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

I say this lightheartedly but if Chuck and Reggie came on board, sometimes I feel like we'd be happy for a week then come back here to start the petition to acquire the rights to Bernard King and, I dunno, Rod Strickland or something.

Chuck makes more sense to me because he's the caliber of player as those other guys. He spent his entire career making the All-NBA ranks, won an MVP, competed for other MVPs, tons of all star games, etc.. Reggie was mostly a fringe all star level guy most of his career.

Having a Pacers team would be understandable, especially late 90's or the 2000 team that played in the finals. Miller, Davis, Smits, Rose, Jackson would be a nice group to play with. But the obsession with wanting Reggie always just seemed bizarre to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-16-2017, 10:30 AM   #91
Pro

It was actually 4 straight years with the Knicks and heat, all of them going to the final game.

Heat were the higher seed all 4 years and lost 3 of them.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2017, 10:35 AM   #92
All Star

Smirkin Dirk's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kstat
It was actually 4 straight years with the Knicks and heat, all of them going to the final game.

Heat were the higher seed all 4 years and lost 3 of them.
I want to watch some of those 78-76 games again. It would be unrecognisable to today's game.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:37 AM   #93
MVP

Black Bruce Wayne's Arena

Re: 96 Heat and 98 Knicks confirmed

Quote:
Right there with you. But I like variety with my basketball. It's what makes the classic teams so valuable. Outside of the Grizzlies you don't see gritty basketball anymore. If I want to play a traditional inside/outside offense, I can't really use any 2017 teams. It's all about drive and kick now.

At least the heat and Knicks had some firepower. They just played a really slow pace and played really physical defense.
And even barely about drive now. It's so different. I do miss post play. I miss big men who had skills around the rim.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 08-16-2017, 10:41 AM   #94
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smirkin Dirk
I want to watch some of those 78-76 games again. It would be unrecognisable to today's game.
Well, you were allowed to really drop the hammer on defense back then.

The biggest problem was really that they played almost the same style. Against other teams they were pretty entertaining but vs each other it was like a mirror match.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:59 AM   #95
MVP

midwestking100's Arena

Quote:
Well, you were allowed to really drop the hammer on defense back then.

The biggest problem was really that they played almost the same style. Against other teams they were pretty entertaining but vs each other it was like a mirror match.
Just like those Knicks/Pacers match ups of the mid 90s
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2017, 11:02 AM   #96
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestking100
Just like those Knicks/Pacers match ups of the mid 90s
Yep. Very similar. Those series had some hilariously low scores too. It's just that Knicks/heat didn't have a Reggie Miller to distract everyone.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »