Home

NBA 2K18 The Prelude Gameplay

This is a discussion on NBA 2K18 The Prelude Gameplay within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-08-2017, 02:41 PM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: NBA 2K18 The Prelude Gameplay

Love the new offensive feel. Passing, dribbling, shooting, moving... all feels so smooth, fluid, organic, and really damn good. Can't just blindly dribble into a crowd or spam the stick.

In love with shoot around at the park. Love the vibration on catch AND release. Slap on melo's jumpshot and I had a bit of fun. Feels amazing.

But..... wow the defensive mechanics are wayyy behind the defensive AI. The defensive mechanics are really bad. Feels extremely neglected.

Guys are just floating around. There is no change of pace in the torso when sliding feet. As a result, it looks extremely unnatural. The torso looks like it's moving the feet, and not the other way around.

No footplanting, no palpable shifts in momentum as a defender. Guys aren't playing angles. Defenders are getting stuck with their backs turned to you way off to the side, leaving a wide open path to the hoop.

On ball IQ is nonexistent. Also, guys don't look like they're playing as a team on defense.

I'm still getting stuck in the mud and dragged around on defense a bit. Guys are still teleporting when you beat them: Not as bad as before, but still an issue. CPU cheats a bit because the defense is that fundamentally bad.

Layups/rebounding look pretty good. Blocks too. Steals as well.

But right now it feels like I'm playing NHL 18.

And the graphics are extremely disappointing. Looks like NBA Live 09. Maybe worse. Not even kidding. Everything looks dull, round, flat, and blah. Looks like clay.

Game feels about three to four years away.

Definitely a mixed bag. But the continued disrespect and lack of focus on the other side of the ball is game breaking to me, and for that reason I probably won't be buying the game this year for the first time in 9 years.

Offense sells to the kids, but as a sim gamer, the other side is important as well.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-08-2017, 04:12 PM   #26
MVP

OVR: 14

Game feels very, very good. Feels like real basketball from movement, to dribbling shooting, defense, etc. Very impressed.
Old 09-08-2017, 05:37 PM   #27
MVP

EarvGotti's Arena

OVR: 5

Added a few more clips to my original video. The first step out of the triple threat is sooooooo explosive this year. If i was able to beat CPU Lebron off the dribble like that, i can only imagine a user on ball defender lol

Shot creators and guys like KD, Melo, KOBE, MJ are gonna be super hard to guard and I love it.

SF) Sapphire Scottie Pippen
PF) '95-'96 Dennis Rodman
C) Hakeem Olajuwon
Old 09-08-2017, 06:14 PM   #28
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarvGotti
Added a few more clips to my original video. The first step out of the triple threat is sooooooo explosive this year. If i was able to beat CPU Lebron off the dribble like that, i can only imagine a user on ball defender lol

Shot creators and guys like KD, Melo, KOBE, MJ are gonna be super hard to guard and I love it.

Love the new offense, but man that defense is really really bad and unresponsive. Defense looks way too unrealistic in this game.
Old 09-08-2017, 06:46 PM   #29
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

I had no issue defending the CPU (given its also likely on Pro)...but the jury is out on user vs. user. Feels good to me as of now.

I'm really happy defense isn't automatically binding you to guys like in 2K17...or locking you into a specific sequence. It makes every interaction down court feel different.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 09-08-2017, 06:57 PM   #30
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavs2016
Love the new offensive feel. Passing, dribbling, shooting, moving... all feels so smooth, fluid, organic, and really damn good. Can't just blindly dribble into a crowd or spam the stick.

In love with shoot around at the park. Love the vibration on catch AND release. Slap on melo's jumpshot and I had a bit of fun. Feels amazing.

But..... wow the defensive mechanics are wayyy behind the defensive AI. The defensive mechanics are really bad. Feels extremely neglected.

Guys are just floating around. There is no change of pace in the torso when sliding feet. As a result, it looks extremely unnatural. The torso looks like it's moving the feet, and not the other way around.

No footplanting, no palpable shifts in momentum as a defender. Guys aren't playing angles. Defenders are getting stuck with their backs turned to you way off to the side, leaving a wide open path to the hoop.

On ball IQ is nonexistent. Also, guys don't look like they're playing as a team on defense.

I'm still getting stuck in the mud and dragged around on defense a bit. Guys are still teleporting when you beat them: Not as bad as before, but still an issue. CPU cheats a bit because the defense is that fundamentally bad.

Layups/rebounding look pretty good. Blocks too. Steals as well.

But right now it feels like I'm playing NHL 18.

And the graphics are extremely disappointing. Looks like NBA Live 09. Maybe worse. Not even kidding. Everything looks dull, round, flat, and blah. Looks like clay.

Game feels about three to four years away.

Definitely a mixed bag. But the continued disrespect and lack of focus on the other side of the ball is game breaking to me, and for that reason I probably won't be buying the game this year for the first time in 9 years.

Offense sells to the kids, but as a sim gamer, the other side is important as well.
this is surprising to hear. after scott's blig and all of the flack 2k received last year about defense, it's still fundamentally lacking? pretty discouraging to hear, but thx for being honest.
Old 09-08-2017, 07:00 PM   #31
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavs2016
Love the new offense, but man that defense is really really bad and unresponsive. Defense looks way too unrealistic in this game.
you're right. big men at the rim aren't even challenging kd giving him a free dunk or lsyup. whats up with that?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-08-2017, 07:05 PM   #32
MVP

OVR: 9

^^ Difficulty Level is at Pro so...

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »