Home

I Spammed the Long Pass in The Prelude--here are the results...

This is a discussion on I Spammed the Long Pass in The Prelude--here are the results... within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 09-09-2017, 12:24 PM   #1
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

OVR: 16
I Spammed the Long Pass in The Prelude--here are the results...

Mixed at best...defender reactions are still seriously lacking, they watch the ball when we should see out of bounds deflections like this Lebron play at a minimum (see below).

I support the "lets wait and see how gameplay is first" (and patch less overall) but we need to watch this closely--it may require a heavy hand. Long passes have broken online play the last two years and it will do the same thing in 2K18 if we never have to dribble the ball upcourt and can pass into scoring position from beyond half-court/create one-on-one situations downcourt at will....we may need more bad passes, bobbled/mishandled catches, steals and we DEFINITELY need less watching by defenders.

Check it out for yourself:

Sidenote: How about the loose ball foul (illegal screen) @ 6:13? I LIKEY.

Last edited by Kushmir; 09-10-2017 at 07:47 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-09-2017, 12:34 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: I Spammed the Long Pass in The Prelude--here are the results...

The cpu did it to me twice. One time it was perfect and they scored before the camera on broadcast even showed what happen. Another time on 2K cam I was able to stand in the way and the ball went out of bounds.

It's bad the cpu is programmed to do it. Unless they patch it and stop users from abusing it like last year. Not everyone should be able to do full court passes like Kevin love and he's not throwing them all game either.
Old 09-09-2017, 01:10 PM   #3
Pro

1:25 I like that travel called

Saw Brian play it looked like live with no calls on agregious traveling

Hopefully it's called like what I saw in the OP vid

Last edited by Quentin32; 09-09-2017 at 01:21 PM.
Old 09-09-2017, 02:57 PM   #4
Pro

olajuwon34's Arena

One thing you have to remember about this prelude 2KU, is we have no idea what difficulty, or what sliders were playing on. I know that 2k in past games when they released demo's the sliders were just set to make the user enjoy the demo, but they may not necessarily be the default all star or superstar settings.
Old 09-09-2017, 03:02 PM   #5
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by olajuwon34
One thing you have to remember about this prelude 2KU, is we have no idea what difficulty, or what sliders were playing on. I know that 2k in past games when they released demo's the sliders were just set to make the user enjoy the demo, but they may not necessarily be the default all star or superstar settings.
For sure...its the reason i'm not necessarily sounding any alarm. I'm just saying let's keep an eye on this in the retail version.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-09-2017, 03:35 PM   #6
Pro

itchyroll_51's Arena

LOL i love this footage for some reason haha
Old 09-09-2017, 03:50 PM   #7
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

OVR: 3

EDIT with following statement: I don't even play online. I am not an online player, but the following is an important "gameplay" mechanic that affects both online and offline basketball.

I am very reluctant to post the following because I actually wanted to create a completely separate thread that highlights two completely different matters after I've had time to dive into 2k18 retail. So you're kind of messing things up on my end. This was the one thing that I mentioned that I wanted to keep to myself until 2k18 was released. And I honestly truly believe that it would be the definitive solution to long passes only if 2k would take the plunge rather than stick with their current formula. I'm not going to have the visual aids to backup my current solution yet, but the gist of it consist of two things:

(1) Defenders have their backs turned during defensive transitions.
(2) Steal mechanics have a "telegraphic" component.

(Note: The following is not going to change with the retail product or the difficulty level. It's simply a legacy component that's a characteristic of 2k basketball.)

(1) Defensive players have their back turned to the offense when running back on defense; 2k defensive players are programmed to run back to their "spot" on the floor first and foremost. Once they reach their "spots," then they will turn around and react defensively. Often time it becomes too late. This is easy to see from a 2k cam, less so from broadcast camera. This is a defensive awareness concern. When running back on defense, real NBA players actually jog backwards or tilt an angle visually picking up their assignments at the same time.

This gif includes three sequences. Notice in the first sequence how the offense essentially had a step up on the defense because the defenders still had their backs turned, allowing for an easy transition bucket. Well, he actually didn't make the basket, but he certainly could have. Observe the defenders as they transition back on defense. Note: There are moments when 2k has the proper back pedal animation and awareness animations though, but those are seldom.

NBA Players are often always visually engaged and defensively aware of their assignment when jogging/running back on defense. They are either back pedaling or jogging sideways, or at least have their heads focused.

(2) Steal mechanics - a good percentage of steals in 2k consist of the ball thrown directly to the defender rather than defenders reacting and moving towards the passes. A clear example is the steal that happens @3:49 when Isaiah Thomas steals that long pass. Thomas essentially did not even have to move his feet. The pass was thrown directly at him.

Most of the steals that happen in 2k happens exactly like this where the defenders don't have to move their feet. The defenders are stationary and the ball just so happens to get thrown directly to them, or just so slightly in the direction of the defender that it makes steals/deflection look scripted. I hate using that word, but watch steals from all camera angle, the line of pass has a slight favoritism in the direction of the defender.

Madden/Live Animations Walking, Throwing

Last edited by strawberryshortcake; 09-09-2017 at 04:06 PM.
Old 09-09-2017, 04:07 PM   #8
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

Good stuff...we definitely need to see 2K transition defenders engaged/watching ball. My issue is that long pass deflections out of bounds have always been in the game. We just don't see them enough.

But like you mentioned, in each one of those instances (except Hawes' deflection) the defender is facing the ball and obviously, then aware of it. I'm fine with no "psychic" defenders but the issue then becomes, we need defenders to get back like they do in reality--facing the offense and ready to react.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »