Home

NBA 2K18 Teach Me How To Thread : Tips,Plays,Defense

This is a discussion on NBA 2K18 Teach Me How To Thread : Tips,Plays,Defense within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-15-2017, 08:33 PM   #17
Pro

Ragnar53's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: NBA 2K18 Teach Me How To Thread : Tips,Plays,Defense

Ah. One more thing. Regular post hooks don't have much of a timing factor, but shimmy post hooks do (the shot meter pops up ), as well as specific up and unders if you are far enough away from the basket.

Typing on mobile is a pain in the buttocks.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:36 PM   #18
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCDaFuture
At Coach Settings during the game. Do You have your offensive Playvision to All Plays and Playvision Display to FULL? Also put Offense playcalling to manual. Let me know if that helps
I had the following:

Offensive Playvision = User Plays Only
Playvision Display = Lite
Offensive Playcalling = Manual

I'll do some more play running/testing, but I think the real problem was me pushing the left analog stick and highlighting a different player other than the guy with the grey basketball (X) icon. I like to kind of also move my guy that's about to pass either a little to the left or right rather than remain motionless.

Maybe that's the problem. The left analog stick and white circle player highlight looks to actually override the grey basketball (X) icon.

I adjusted everything to your suggestion and once I decided to push the left analog to highlight a different target, the new target was still the recipient of the pass rather than the guy with the grey basketball (X) icon. I'll do some more testing.
Madden/Live Animations Walking, Throwing
Old 09-15-2017, 08:44 PM   #19
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

(2) New problem/concern/question:

(1) Non-responsive (X) button (switching to defender guarding the ball handler)

The following is actually my biggest problem when it comes to controls. And it's been this way for the longest time even with 2k18 and 2k17 and etc.

On defense, pressing (X) doesn't always switch to the defender guarding the ball. This is my major control issue with 2k and I don't know how to fix this. As a result, I frequently have to use player specific icon switching. Is there something in the control setting menu to "fix" this.

Side Note: This also happens during a made bucket. As the CPU in bounds the ball to it's point guard, pressing (X) doesn't always switch me to my own point guard. Sometimes I have to press (X) multiple times to select the point guard. If CPU Lebron James was receiving the inbound pass, pressing (X) also doesn't always select the appropriate player on my team. So the question, is what exactly is does pressing (X) do when switching defender? But more importantly, how do I get switched over to the defender that is suppose to be guarding the ball consistently without using icon switch.

@1:33 mark shows an example of exactly what I'm talking about. This is footage from 2k17, but the problem is still prevalent in 2k18.

@1:33 mark. As soon as the ball goes into the post, I wanted to switch off from Curry to Zaza defending the ball. Pressing "X" usually puts me in control of the defender guarding the ball, but here, it didn't do that. I was expecting to be switched over to Zaza so I could defend the post Joel Embiid (#21) going towards the basket. But instead the player select highlighted Draymond Green instead, which is why Green was moving away from the basket because that's the same direction I would have moved Zaza if the computer had properly switched me over to Zaza.

I understand what they're supposedly accomplishing with that control mechanism but in the moment, my natural reaction is that Zaza would have been the one selected because he was technically the closet to the ball (Joel Embiid). If I had known that Green would have been selected once I pressed (X), I would have moved Draymond towards Joel Embiid rather than away.

(2) Cat and Mouse chase

My other major problem with 2k controls is a cat and mouse chase thing that goes on.

I like playing on ball -defense, and every now and then, even though I am using for example Klay Thompson to pick up CPU player Lebron James because my teammate Durant loses track and distance with Lebron, Durant will all of a sudden start running in the direction of Lebron even though I am also moving Klay over to guard Lebron. The problem that occurs is that I see Durant moving towards Lebron, so I decided to take Klay and move him to guard the open man. But then, Durant will also leave Lebron and run towards the open guy just like I did with Klay. And funny enough, as soon as I see Durant running towards the open man instead of towards Lebron, I would now move Klay towards Lebron. And guess what, Durant would now follow Klay Thompson and run back towards Lebron James. So there's the fighting going on. I move Klay and Durant follows wherever I go for a few instances. So hopefully that kind of explains it. I'll try to see if I can capture footage of it because it already a happened in 2k18.

How do you stop this from happening?

I'll try to get a video of this in 2k18, but it may take some time.
Madden/Live Animations Walking, Throwing

Last edited by strawberryshortcake; 09-15-2017 at 09:19 PM.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:04 PM   #20
Rookie

How do you add skill boosts to your myplayer? The boosts that only last a few games

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 09-15-2017, 09:25 PM   #21
The Answer

Dmanning2's Arena

OVR: 0

you can perform dribble moves with L2/LT

1tap - behind the back
2tap - signature iso
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-15-2017, 10:08 PM   #22
MVP

405Cowboy's Arena

OVR: 2

What is a good free throw sig? I always used Dwyane Wade's in the past but in 2k18 he has a hesitation shot and every time I miss?
Old 09-15-2017, 10:21 PM   #23
MVP

OVR: 25

How do you rightfully Euro-step in this game? Used to be good at it in 2k12, I believe, now I can't do it anymore.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:31 PM   #24
MVP

fatleg3's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngfaze01
How do you rightfully Euro-step in this game? Used to be good at it in 2k12, I believe, now I can't do it anymore.

Down and away to the off ball hand on the R stick...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »