Home

Why does the lighting look better in created arenas?

This is a discussion on Why does the lighting look better in created arenas? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-28-2017, 09:14 PM   #49
*S *dd*ct

NINJAK2's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Why does the lighting look better in created arenas?

That's sad if they are intentionally scaling back lighting on the original xb1/ps4 so it can become a feature on Pro and XB1X(Via HDR).
EA and 2k have the unfortunate task of trying to balance on a tightrope of fun and sim while trying not to fall 10,000 feet to their death. Instead of a safety net waiting down below there will just be angry customers quick to move out of the way and talk of their failure.
Old 09-28-2017, 09:22 PM   #50
The Designated Hitter

BA2929's Arena

OVR: 20

I personally think the lighting looks worse in that created arena in the first post. It's far too bright on the court and the stands look washed out.
Old 09-28-2017, 09:24 PM   #51
Pro

d23x's Arena

OVR: 0

Definitely feel lighting is worse this year especially after playing the Live demo. It's almost hard to play and is super depressing. 2k needs to fix this in the next few years.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-28-2017, 09:30 PM   #52
Rookie

RainZ's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by d23x
Definitely feel lighting is worse this year especially after playing the Live demo. It's almost hard to play and is super depressing. 2k needs to fix this in the next few years.
They could easily fix it now I think by either patching or just adding an "arena brightness" slider perhaps?

Starting to think something has gone wonky due to the HDR implementation for those of us without HDR.. I doubt they have purposely toned it down but something is not right regarding the contrast/colour range.. Would be great if a dev could check it out somehow..

2k17 actually looked much improved over 16 for me, and now 18 has seemingly gone backwards.
Old 09-28-2017, 09:41 PM   #53
Pro

d23x's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainZ
They could easily fix it now I think by either patching or just adding an "arena brightness" slider perhaps?

Starting to think something has gone wonky due to the HDR implementation for those of us without HDR.. I doubt they have purposely toned it down but something is not right regarding the contrast/colour range.. Would be great if a dev could check it out somehow..

2k17 actually looked much improved over 16 for me, and now 18 has seemingly gone backwards.
Would love to get a patch but I'm not holding my breath. 2k17 lighting was definitely better than lighting this year. On the court players look good but arenas are just life less. People need to bombard the art team on this issue. I've tried even changing the brightness on my tv but it just looks weird.
Old 09-28-2017, 10:12 PM   #54
Banned

GloGangJay's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA2929
I personally think the lighting looks worse in that created arena in the first post. It's far too bright on the court and the stands look washed out.
The Court brightness in that pic has more to do with that specific hardwood > anything else. And it's funny you bring up "washed out" stands when you can barely even see the stands in the Thunder pic

One could argue that the entire crowd looks washed out in the Thunder pic

Last edited by GloGangJay; 09-28-2017 at 10:31 PM.
Old 09-28-2017, 10:31 PM   #55
*S *dd*ct

NINJAK2's Arena

OVR: 28

Still love this game regardless but the dimness makes me a little sad..

For 2k19 add a slider called "Electricity Bill"

0_____________________________________50__________ ____________________________100
0-Can't pay at all 50-Money is tight so be conservative(current setting) 100-Money is no object
EA and 2k have the unfortunate task of trying to balance on a tightrope of fun and sim while trying not to fall 10,000 feet to their death. Instead of a safety net waiting down below there will just be angry customers quick to move out of the way and talk of their failure.

Last edited by NINJAK2; 09-28-2017 at 10:36 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-28-2017, 10:48 PM   #56
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJAK2
That's sad if they are intentionally scaling back lighting on the original xb1/ps4 so it can become a feature on Pro and XB1X(Via HDR).
Def don't think it is 'delberate' as such.

More that HDR simply has much higher levels they can use.

For the guys asking for comparison, it is literally impossible to do unless you sit in front of a 4K HDR TV. Then, the difference in all HDR enabled content becomes very, very clear.

Youtube etc simply cannot show the difference.

This video does highlight the HDR impact though:
https://youtu.be/s8Nn31rR8JQ

Last edited by Walt Frazier; 09-28-2017 at 10:50 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »