Home

Online defense is broken: on/off-ball settings change constantly without user input

This is a discussion on Online defense is broken: on/off-ball settings change constantly without user input within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-08-2017, 11:30 AM   #33
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38
Re: Online defense is broken: on/off-ball settings change constantly without user inp

Quote:
Originally Posted by julio852
Read the first comment on this video. It's mine.
It's more like a visual glitch. Check that out to see a bit of more information
Interesting. I don't really care about my record, so I'll fool around with this during my next PNO game...

This glitch never effected me personally because I use the global POE settings (those dont change even with ACE on) but it'd be good to know until they can fix it...
Old 10-08-2017, 04:47 PM   #34
All Star

Smirkin Dirk's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Online defense is broken: on/off-ball settings change constantly without user inp

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorenzoDC
Are you having to redo your defensive settings in the pause menu after every time out offline?
Settings no, matchups yes.
Old 10-08-2017, 05:10 PM   #35
MVP

OVR: 0

I constanty face all-time Lakers with All-time Warriors. i really have to switch the Curry/Magic matchup 5-6 times per game. I switch Ace, I do everything... is very annoying

P.S So is the huge amount of offensive rebounds
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-08-2017, 08:10 PM   #36
Pro

itchyroll_51's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smirkin Dirk
Settings no, matchups yes.
You have to check your defensive settings after every subsitution the other team makes. It depends on their rotation, you don't have to change every time but you will have to check every time. Think of a worse case scenario like this:

The Hawks have a front court rotation of Collins + Ersan / Dedmon + Muscala. Under these circumstances you will have to change settings every time those players sub on for each other. This is because Ersan and Mus are stretch bigs while Collins and Dedmon are non shooting bigs. If you don't change you defensive settings overtime with those 4 together you are gonna end up guarding them all wrong by the end of the game.
Old 10-08-2017, 08:14 PM   #37
Pro

itchyroll_51's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by julio852
Read the first comment on this video. It's mine.
It's more like a visual glitch. Check that out to see a bit of more information
I am telling you man this is NOT JUST VISUAL. I have been labbing since the game came out and this has a real effect on on/off ball settings. If you go from a front court of Dwight to Kaminsky, Kaminsky's defender will pick up Dwight's defender's settings. And thats bad because Kaminsky is a stretch big while Dwight isn't. I am not trying to put you on the spot here, but since this is a serious glitch i have to correct you. This is not just visual on the options screens, it has a real effect on off ball and on ball behaviour on the court online + offline.
Old 10-09-2017, 03:36 PM   #38
Pro

Just posted a new thread about Deny Ball setting not working and it was closed for this thread, but what I was saying is different from the problem here.

I'm not saying that the defensive settings changed, which this thread is about, I'm saying that I had deny ball/smother on a player, the settings showed that it was on, but the players DID NOT do anything close to deny/ smother. They would constantly play lax defense and leave the player they shouldn't be leaving with little to no defensive pressure to do so, which they sholdn't be doing anyway because I have deny/smother on.

Original post here. I can add footage if it's needed.

Quote:
Just played a game where Deny Ball setting is clearly not working.

For some reason this dude dropped 11/24 3's with Kyle Korver because my defenders would not stay near him even though I had him on Smother/Deny.

He would be open even when the pg was just standing there doing nothing, no action, no screens. Multiple defenders I put on him wouldn't get or stay close to him with no reason not to. My defenders would be sitting near the FT line when the ball was being brought up and wouldn't try to get near him until AFTER he got the ball and was already shooting. On drives they would CONSTANTLY run away from him even with deny ball on and settings to not help anywhere else, they would even leave when the ball was in the paint with two other defenders there.

This was the ONLY way this guy would score and I couldn't stop it because I had to play on/off ball to stop pick and rolls. I can't control 3 people at once, that's what defensive settings are for, and they clearly aren't working.

So pissed right now.

I have footage if you need it.

Last edited by killakrok; 10-09-2017 at 04:34 PM.
Old 10-09-2017, 05:25 PM   #39
Pro

Video of just a few examples I was able to record. All with Smother/Deny on Korver.

Defender is nowhere near him, with no reason not to be close.

Defender is not close to him and moves even further away on the post catch.

Defender is NOWHERE NEAR Korver and is half way to the paint, FOR NO REASON, and is so far away he can't even contest the shot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NBA 2K18_20171009151728.jpg (386.0 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg NBA 2K18_20171009151714.jpg (238.7 KB, 71 views)

Last edited by killakrok; 10-10-2017 at 01:16 AM.
Old 10-10-2017, 02:10 AM   #40
Pro

Played another game to see if the settings issue was a fluke, and luckily (unluckily) ran into another issue. Played someone who went to Shaq exclusively, so I put the settings to Tight/Tight, Front, and Double Team on Catch in the post and on the perimeter to make sure Shaq had to give up the ball whenever he got it. This did absolutely nothing.

The front setting was 100% useless as I got noting near a front at any point. I figured that out pretty quickly and changed it.

The doubles were also useless. In previous years setting double on a posting player would call a defender over to make a play on the ball to go for a steal or make the post player pick up the ball or pass it out. Now, on the off chance I got a double, the extra defender would just stand there and do nothing. They NEVER made any play on the ball and did nothing to influence Shaq at all, many times standing there through 4+ dribbles right in from of them. They may as well not have been there at all.

After I saw what was happening I decided to let it play out to see what would happen and get some footage of the double teams. I tried to see what would happen with me controlling the main defender, the help defender, and a wing on the strong and weak side, it was all the same.

Let me know if the double teams should be behaving this way this year, or if the extra defender should be trying to do....anything at all.

Webber comes for the double, but does nothing but stand there.

#52 comes over but does nothing, he comes back a second time and does nothing until the shot goes up.

Bobby Jackson comes over to double, does nothing, and then MOVES AWAY to the opposite side of the court, away from Shaq AND away from the man he is guarding to stand next to his own teammate who is inside of another player not in the play. There is NO REASON for Jackson to even be on that side of the court.

Webber does nothing but hover around Shaq without making any attempt to go after the ball or affect Shaq at all. Webber even MOVES AWAY from Shaq towards the 3PT line as Shaq gets deeper into the paint. Shaq takes 8 unimpeded dribbles before he dunks on Pollard.

Bibby ends up on Shaq, I switch to Pollard to get him back in the play and behind Shaq, and as I switch Bibby leaves Shaq before I can get Pollard to the other side, giving up an obvious open dunk.

Christie comes but does nothing, then Divac RUNS AWAY from Shaq as I switch off of him, luckily the foul happened before Shaq could score.

Jackson comes, hovers around Shaq with the ball going right by his hands for 4 dribbles without making any kind of play on the ball.

Divac also RUNS AWAY from Shaq as I switch off of of him, giving up the easy dunk again.

Peja comes to double for a second, then decides to leave.

3 Players around Shaq, no double team, no one tries to make a play on the ball.

Divac ends up on the other side of Shaq, after Shaq catches the ball he does very little to recover and even lazily walks across the paint baseline like he's not about to get dunked on, while Webber MOVES AWAY from Shaq and ignores the open paint as I try to cheat in with Peja.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NBA 2K18_20171009224336.jpg (260.9 KB, 53 views)

Last edited by killakrok; 10-10-2017 at 12:52 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »